Olympic Champion James Cracknell Praises Australian Helmet Law, Statingthat it May Have Saved His Life

Old January 8th 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Olympic Champion James Cracknell Praises Australian Helmet Law, Statingthat it May Have Saved His Life

http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-laws-may-have-helped-saved-his-life
Old January 8th 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/8/2011 10:33 AM, SMS aka Steven M. Scharf wrote:
http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-laws-may-have-helped-saved-his-life

Ct = 1.0

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 8th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 8, 11:10 am, Chalo wrote:
SMS wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-...

I like how the article says the guy "suffered a double brain fracture
in the incident".

Yeah, that was pretty good.

snip

Old January 8th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 8, 1:38*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:10 am, Chalo wrote:

SMS wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-...

I like how the article says the guy "suffered a double brain fracture
in the incident".

Yeah, that was pretty good.

snip

I'll have a double brain fracture, on the rocks.
Old January 8th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
SMS wrote:
http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-...

I like how the article says the guy "suffered a double brain fracture
in the incident".

I think a "brain fracture" is often what people have actually suffered
when they believe that their magic hats saved their lives.

But this guy's "lightweight, carbon-reinforced" magic hat could not
have been all that, because his bean got busted up pretty badly
anyway. But I guess that's the magic of a bicycle helmet: If it
broke up, it saved your life. If it stayed intact, it saved your
life. If you escaped injury, it saved your life. And if you suffered
massive head trauma, it saved your life! Everybody wins!

At least he was spared a leg injury. Mighta been a cripple
without the foam thing.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 9th 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_6_]

?"Chalo" wrote in message

SMS wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/28967-james-cracknell-says-aussie-helmet-...

***

I like how the article says the guy "suffered a double brain fracture
in the incident".

I think a "brain fracture" is often what people have actually suffered
when they believe that their magic hats saved their lives.

***
Read it again then.

***
But this guy's "lightweight, carbon-reinforced" magic hat could not
have been all that, because his bean got busted up pretty badly
anyway. But I guess that's the magic of a bicycle helmet: If it
broke up, it saved your life. If it stayed intact, it saved your
life. If you escaped injury, it saved your life. And if you suffered
massive head trauma, it saved your life! Everybody wins!

Chalo

***

Yes, it's obvious that the damage done by a tanker truck's mirror striking
the back of his skull would have been much less severe if he'd been
bare-headed instead of helmeted. Who can't see that?!?

What a maroon... BS

Old January 9th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/8/2011 6:48 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]
What a maroon... BS

http://wilstar.com/midi/bugsmaroon.wav

Old January 9th 11, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bill Sornson wrote:

http://road.cc/content/news/28967-ja...aussie-helmet-...

With a partial URL, it's hard to tell what your point is.

I like how the article says the guy "suffered a double brain
fracture in the incident".

I think a "brain fracture" is often what people have actually
suffered when they believe that their magic hats saved their lives.

*** Read it again then. ***

But this guy's "lightweight, carbon-reinforced" magic hat could not
have been all that, because his bean got busted up pretty badly
anyway. But I guess that's the magic of a bicycle helmet: If it
broke up, it saved your life. If it stayed intact, it saved your
life. If you escaped injury, it saved your life. And if you
suffered massive head trauma, it saved your life! Everybody wins!

Yes, it's obvious that the damage done by a tanker truck's mirror
striking the back of his skull would have been much less severe if
he'd been bare-headed instead of helmeted. Who can't see that?!?

What a maroon... BS

You might clean up your terms. It's either a "tanker" or a "tank
truck". Your mix of terms detracts from what you want to establish.
You might notice that the helmet faithful find helmets to be great
benefits to wearers, regardless of outcome.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old January 9th 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Jan 8, 6:33*pm, wrote:

You might clean up your terms. *It's either a "tanker" or a "tank
truck". *Your mix of terms detracts from what you want to establish.

This petty pedantry is entertaining coming from someone (initials JB)
who recently used the term "front wheel spokes," specifically "Look
ma, no bars, they're in my front wheel spokes."

Also note: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_truck and the reference
to "United States usage."

It must be a tremendous handicap to not understand common (American)
English usage.

DR

Old January 9th 11, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 8, 6:48*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
?"Chalo" *wrote in message

SMS wrote:

[...]

Well, we heard the mirror broke his helmet. Got film? IOW, Bill, you
haven't "seen that" either.
And then how did he get frontal lobe injuries? Sorry, the reaction to
"might have saved his life" is "the mirror skimmed over his back as he
was bent over, riding hard, and might have cleared his head entirely
except it snagged on the helmet" and then he went down and tumbled,
using his head as a fulcrum of sorts.

I could believe "the fast-acting medics saved his life", pending
somehow knowing The Truth-- was he KO'd and not breathing, going into
shock, bleeding out, etc. etc.

I wear a helmet most of the time. No illusions about efficacy, as
there are too many variables. I take it as a reasonable precaution,
try to pay attention out there and take control, while hoping for the
best. Some people think (obviously) I'm stupid (or a pawn of The
State) for wearing a helmet. Whatever...
--D-y

another cyclist's life saved by a helmet Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 17 July 25th 10 01:17 AM
Helmet saved my life! Brian Robertson[_4_] UK 43 July 22nd 08 08:13 PM
A helmet saved my life -- believe it Marc Brett UK 64 May 26th 07 07:56 PM
Media: helmet saved my life Shuggie UK 3 February 26th 06 02:43 AM
A Helmet saved my life paul UK 75 March 20th 04 09:33 AM