Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

Old January 11th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

Default Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:28:34 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On Jan 9, 4:08*pm, James wrote:
If there were not additional risks associated with cycling, Franks magic
how to cycle books wouldn't need writing in the first place.

The word "magic" indicates you've never read one.

Ignorance and confidence really go together well, don't they?

Hey Frank, I think James may be admitting that knowing how to ride a
bicycle safely is sufficiently advanced technology that he can't
distinguish it from magic!

Old January 11th 11, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
On Jan 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
If there were not additional risks associated with cycling, Franks magic
how to cycle books wouldn't need writing in the first place.

The word "magic" indicates you've never read one.

Ignorance and confidence really go together well, don't they?

Hey Frank, I think James may be admitting that knowing how to ride a
bicycle safely is sufficiently advanced technology that he can't
distinguish it from magic!

If you think of something intelligent to say, please don't hesitate.
Right now you're up there with Frank, both ignorant and confident.

JS.

Old January 11th 11, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_6_]

wrote:
On Jan 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
If there were not additional risks associated with cycling, Franks magic
how to cycle books wouldn't need writing in the first place.

The word "magic" indicates you've never read one.

Ignorance and confidence really go together well, don't they?

Hey Frank, I think James may be admitting that knowing how to ride a
bicycle safely is sufficiently advanced technology that he can't
distinguish it from magic!

If you think of something intelligent to say, please don't hesitate.
Right now you're up there with Frank, both ignorant and confident.

JS.

****

God, years ago I plonked Lamb because he's an imbecile, and here he pops up
again licking Frank's (let's be kind and go with) boots and proving
nothing's changed.

BS (recalled)

Old January 11th 11, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 1/10/2011 9:07 PM, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jan 10, 7:24 pm, James wrote:
The lesson is to treat that intersection with even more caution and slow
my approach. It's a downhill run where we typically exceed 55km/h. My
downfall was that I misread the drivers intentions and chose the wrong
escape route. Had I been going slower I could have avoided the
accident. (Or if the twit hadn't failed to give way).

This is one reason I think Frank leads such a charmed life. He rides
slower and has more time to react when drivers misbehave.

If that were one reason I have fewer problems than you, it would
certainly not be the only reason. I've been an avid adult cyclist for
nearly 40 years now. For many years I was regarded as one of the
strongest riders in our club. Yet I did not have the crashes you've
had, I didn't need to complain about frequent close passes like you
do, I have never had a litany of near misses like you give.

Hmm, I've got about 23 years so far, and about 230,000+km. (one year I
traveled almost 25,000km, but had one year off. I tend to exceed
10,000km per annum on average).

I've watched the video's and seen the stat's, Frank. A close pass for
you is 60cm. I laugh at 60cm!

What crashes have I had that you know of? Please search, you'll find the
total number is not that great. Three I think, that involve motor
vehicles. I've slid off a few times on wet roads, gravel or been caught
up in other peoples crashes, training and racing. But what do you do
when someone splatters themselves on the road right in front of you?

And I've done dozens of tours, including in many countries, including
a self-guided coast-to-coast across the US. I've ridden in hundreds
of cities without your problems. I've regularly commuted to work in
two different cities since 1977.

Never in Melbourne or Sydney as a regular commuter.

Furthermore, I have at least six friends who have ridden in Australia
on tours, including Melbourne and Sydney. They didn't report the
types of problems you complain about.

I'm sure they were here for a long enough time for that to be a
respectable sample size.

I know you'll never admit it, but there's an excellent chance you need
to learn more about riding in traffic.

There is no one I know who doesn't need to learn more about riding in
traffic, and I've ridden with numerous professional cyclists over the
years.

Last Saturday at the cafe sipping coffee, a fellow came up with, and
totally out of the blue, "We should start a website to record all the
incidents we have riding, you know like the one I had last summer when
my mates and I had to subdue that driver that got out of his car and
started swinging fists at us!"

We've even had celebrities attack cyclists! One broke a cyclists finger,
another said on national TV that cyclists should be run off the roads!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1111117691123

http://www.theage.com.au/national/ma...1001-gcyf.html

Such wonderful role models, no?

JS.

Old news. George Carlin clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zj5nhASk0
Old January 11th 11, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

wrote:
On Jan 9, 4:08 pm, wrote:
If there were not additional risks associated with cycling, Franks magic
how to cycle books wouldn't need writing in the first place.

The word "magic" indicates you've never read one.

Ignorance and confidence really go together well, don't they?

Hey Frank, I think James may be admitting that knowing how to ride a
bicycle safely is sufficiently advanced technology that he can't
distinguish it from magic!

Another one that doesn't get sarcasm. You know that can be indicative
of other more serious problems...
Old January 13th 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_6_]

wrote:
On Jan 9, 4:08 pm, wrote:
If there were not additional risks associated with cycling, Franks magic
how to cycle books wouldn't need writing in the first place.

The word "magic" indicates you've never read one.

Ignorance and confidence really go together well, don't they?

Hey Frank, I think James may be admitting that knowing how to ride a
bicycle safely is sufficiently advanced technology that he can't
distinguish it from magic!

Another one that doesn't get sarcasm. You know that can be indicative
of other more serious problems...

Like being a boot-licking imbecile. (Wonder if the Lambster will know
that's about him? LOL )

BS