58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

Old January 25th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default 58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 3:30:32 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
? never tried a scull....rowed life boat

http://www.woodenmodelboat.com/model...lifeboat_1.jpg

wherry....flat bottom rowboat. the sea kayak is absorbing...trying an Alden

http://rowalden.com/#mainCategories just no time..

alden had ads in Small Boat....absorbing like the Lotus Elite ads

the two bays here are rowing but motor traffic....no see front Dude.

http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/people...&mbio.num=mb45

Alden very famous, reliable and good handling in rough water
Old January 25th 17, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

California, State of Emergency

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...D=ansmsnnews11
Old January 25th 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 5:37:30 AM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
California, State of Emergency

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...D=ansmsnnews11

Bring it on! I want to see more water
Old January 25th 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 1:58:26 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Let me straighten you out. Gene is the kayak guy. Ask him
anything! He will answer anything with anything!

Thanks Andrew, that explains Doug's inability to understand what team rowing is.
Old January 25th 17, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 10:16:14 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 1:58:26 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

Let me straighten you out. Gene is the kayak guy. Ask him
anything! He will answer anything with anything!

Thanks Andrew, that explains Doug's inability to understand what team rowing is.

At least I know a thing or two about wallabies
Old January 25th 17, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 4:56:12 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 3:30:32 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
? never tried a scull....rowed life boat

http://www.woodenmodelboat.com/model...lifeboat_1.jpg

wherry....flat bottom rowboat. the sea kayak is absorbing...trying an Alden

http://rowalden.com/#mainCategories just no time..

alden had ads in Small Boat....absorbing like the Lotus Elite ads

the two bays here are rowing but motor traffic....no see front Dude.

http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/people...&mbio.num=mb45

Alden very famous, reliable and good handling in rough water

Not as fast as Peinert Dolphin (East coast) or Maas 24 (West Coast). Both open-water boats. But I thought you can carry some gear in an alden, too. But now I don't see the hatch in the photos.

Old January 26th 17, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/...128836689.html
Old January 26th 17, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Doug Landau considered Tue, 24 Jan 2017
11:34:04 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:47:39 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/24/2017 12:30 AM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 4:27:20 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 4:11:00 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
//////////////////

OAR ?

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/f...al-images.html

Something is wrong with this drawing. From the angle of their bodies and arms it looks like they are all rowing port.

Huh?
There are eight men rowing, four each side.

Yes but their bodies - torsos and arms - are all exactly parallel. The guys on port should be twisted just a hair to one side, and those rowing starboard should be twisted just slightly to the other side.

http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/ro...&phrase=rowing

Check out Stroke, Seven, and Six in this boat:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ph...mage/129179508

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ph...image/78777452

I also don't understand why the coxswain is standing up. But it's a beautiful picture.

The best crews spend a lot of training time on staying exactly in line
in headwinds, for the same aerodynamic benefits as team pursuit
cyclists seek. In a strong tailwind, a good crew will try to maximise
windage, so will deliberately NOT stay in line!
I don't think that's the reason in the original picture though - I
think that's due to the artist.
We can't tell why the coxswain is standing either - that certainly
seems a bit perilous, but maybe there is debris in the floodwater that
he's searching for a safe path through, or they are looking for
someone or something that needs rescuing.
Old January 26th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 6:55:36 AM UTC-8, Phil Lee wrote:
[...]

I used to row an 8 and never even thought about aerodynamics, being that the rowers are moving back and forth on slides, and you'd be labeled a dope if you were hanging over the side of the boat for some reason. By necessity, you're lined up behind the rower in front of you, assuming your stroke is not all F-U. Then again, maybe the serious folks are thinking more about aerodynaics. I was on a boat filled with sleepy law students. We were coached, but it wasn't like we were going to the Olympics.

Rowing sweep is great off season exercise for a cyclist -- except for having to get up at zero dark-thirty and go outside in near freezing temperatures. If I were so inclined, I could row to work! http://images.nationalgeographic.com...27_600x450.jpg
Nah. Sweep doesn't require the kind of skill and upper body strength as a single or skulling in general. Sweep is perfect for someone with a lot of leg strength.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 26th 17, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

[...]

The best crews have superlative timing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHXtaehU_nU