pedestrians and cyclists

Old October 15th 04, 07:00 AM
hippy

Default pedestrians and cyclists

"ritcho"
hippy Wrote:
I'm sticking with my "avoid bike paths at all costs" method.

I'll second that - roads are for bikes and bikes are for roads.

OTOH, I know the bit of path that Tamyka is complaining about. The road
that runs parallel is probably even slower for cyclists at peak hour.

Depends how good you are at dodging mirrors ;-)

hippy

Old October 15th 04, 07:28 AM
Alan Erskine

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message

hehe... Is there a bullbar for tredlies?

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old October 15th 04, 07:39 AM
Tamyka Bell

Lotte wrote:

Well said Tamyka. Too true. The same goes for cyclists who run red
lights. I cannot control my sheer frustration when I see this and
often scream at people who do this.

I got told the other day to "get a bell". All I did was ask a bunch of
pedestrians, walking 6 abreast in the city Botanical Gardens, if I could
please get through. Just a simple question, asked nicely. Anyway,
considering all 6 of them were overweight females with plenty of flesh
(read: stretch marks, celliulite, bellybutton that would fit a
watermelon) on show, I figured it must have been a huge energy
expenditure for them to move 2 steps across.

--
Lotte

Interesting that they would rather you ring a bell at them than politely
ask them to move. Same day I came up behind a man riding along behind
his small child (you know, a bit shaky but big enough to remain upright
on it); I slowed right down and called out "I'm just coming up on your
right" at which point the man told his son to move left and thanked me
very much for not just flying past. Hmmm, warm fuzzies, still some nice,
sensible people out there.
Old October 15th 04, 07:53 AM
Bikesoiler

Terry Collins Wrote:

If you have isolated pedestrians, then a few rings from wide away will
alert them to your prescence (so long as you are travelling slow) and
most give you a wide berth/ the complete path.

The worst is crowded paths when you have to ring the bell close t
them.
I'm thinking of installing a seat on my front rack. The number o
times
I've been on one side of the path ready to slip around the, ring the
bell and they immediately jump sideways in front of me.

I had a guy jump right into me on the Yarra path.
I stopped, he flew.
Change of momentum thing I 'spose. Hmmm... Pedestrian Croquet, a ne
sport

--
Bikesoiler

Old October 15th 04, 08:47 AM

"Marx" == Marx SS writes:

Marx My theory is that people generally do not walk around very
Marx often anymore & therefore lose the cognitive skills of being
Marx aware of what’s about them when they do go for a walk.

You're not wrong.

I work out of the Australia Post building and the Victorian Police
Centre, opposite ends of the CBD and a nice 25 minute walk (10 minutes
by bike grin). The other day I had to do some work with a colleague
who operates almost exclusively out of 321. He just about had heart
failure by the end of our journey. I asked him if he ever walked
anywhere.

"From the office to the car park normally, that's about it."

Fairly typical these days :-(
--
Cheers
Euan
Old October 15th 04, 08:49 AM

"Tamyka" == Tamyka Bell writes:

Tamyka I have given myself two days to calm down about this, but
Tamyka now I have to say it.

Tamyka Now, I hate dumb pedestrians as much as the next cyclist
Tamyka (note, "dumb" not "all" or even "ignorant" pedestrians) but
Tamyka what is with that hurry seen in the Coro Drive bike path
Tamyka users? Yep, peak hour, it's slow, pedestrians get in the
Tamyka way. Deal with it. You know you won't be able to stay at
Tamyka 30km/h the whole trip. Don't pretend otherwise.

snip

Totally agree with you Tamyka, however IMO pedestrians and cyclists mix
less well than cars and bicycles. Bicycles are vehicles and belong on
the road.

I'd trust my safety to motorists over pedestrians any day.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old October 15th 04, 08:54 AM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
"Marx SS"

In my time riding around I've come to the conclusion that up against
any other path user, I come out as the 2nd class citizen (therefore I
take to the grass etc).

We are second-class citizens.. in their minds. I try to
reduce possible conflict by slowing, riding around, etc.
Just think of all the benefits you can get from not just
maintaining 30kph all the way home..
- braking
- standing starts
- sprintervals
- trackstand practise
- use the breaks in flow to try wheelies :-)
- take your road bike off-road - they still work ya know!

hippy
- positivity in usenet may not reflect reality ;-)

Good ideas. Personally I'm finally making a bit of progress
with my life's ambition of being able to mono on my roadie

--
Nick
Old October 15th 04, 08:56 AM
Terry Collins

Tamyka Bell wrote:

....snip....

Interesting that they would rather you ring a bell at them than politely
ask them to move.

Is this related to nationality?
In my experience, older people from UK seem to squark about bell, but
everyone who hears the bell seems to give room. I see it as sort of
"pedestrian training".
Old October 15th 04, 10:22 AM
DRS

"Marx SS" wrote in
message
My theory is that people generally do not walk around very often
anymore & therefore lose the cognitive skills of being aware of
what’s about them when they do go for a walk.

Watching old b/w movies from the turn of the century you see people
look this way & that because horse-drawn vehicles didn’t stop as fast
etc – pedestrians had no choice really.

The law gives pedestrians priority over everyone else. Ergo, pedestrians
don't need their brains.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 15th 04, 10:36 AM
flyingdutch

DRS Wrote:

The law gives pedestrians priority over everyone else. Ergo
pedestrians
don't need their brains.

Does it really? in B+W i mean?
Surely there must be some form of precedent if its a 'shared' path.
Wont surprise me if its not, but hey one can dream

Altho, must admit i seem to avoid most offroad paths these days. th
stretch (Anniversary trial?) between East Canterbury Station an
Whitehorse rd is just too god to ignore tho..

--
flyingdutch

Anti-social behaviour Danny Colyer UK 1552 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 12:36 AM
Consultation on providing for pedestrians and cyclists Jo Stoller UK 10 June 21st 04 10:16 AM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Priority to be given to pedestrians and cyclists over cars? Richard Bates UK 23 October 30th 03 11:11 PM