Trent Dalton's article in last Saturday's CM Q Weekend Magazine

Old October 31st 06, 03:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
asterope

Default Trent Dalton's article in last Saturday's CM Q Weekend Magazine

Absent Husband Wrote:
I read that on the weekend. It p!ssed me off a little when he basically
said that "the ride was exhilarating, but its not a realistic form of
transport".

Why not?!?! If it was 'exhilarating', what's so unrealistic about it??
*grrr!*

Abby (who thought the article was pretty sh!t actually...)

maybe he was exhilarated by just how unfit he is when he colapsed on
his desk after the ride? he probably hadnt riden a bike in years...
everyone knows just how knackered you can feel even after a short ride
when you havent been riding for a while... Or he could be going by the
old addage that if it feels good it cant be good for you. (if that were
actually the case i dont think the human race would have been around
very long, red wine would give you heart attacks and the
blueberry/cranberry nudie crushie would be illegal)

We really should petition him to give it a burl for just two weeks...
he doesnt need to push himself, just ride along at a comfortable pace,
and then he will see what a valid form of transport it really is. i
might send him an email to that effect later on tonight

Asterope (who cant wait till exam block is over so she can commute to
work every day)

--
asterope

Old October 31st 06, 03:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Duracell Bunny wrote:

asterope wrote:
Tamyka Bell Wrote:
LotteBum wrote:
Pain, Trains & Automobiles

By: -Trent Dalton-
That was awesome. Long, but awesome. Shame he's too soft to
keep riding...

You know, if he just gave it a good 2 weeks of commuting 32kms a day,
it wouldnt even take him 80 minutes IN TOTAL per day of travel time.

a good article... i hope he does go through with buying himself a
pushie.

I remember when I started riding again in March this year - a little 12km ride
and I was worn out. Did 18km the next day though, and soon it stopped hurting.

I must say a regular 16km commute, as long as you have change facilities, would
be quite pleasant if you can pick your travel times

That's what I've got! But 16km just feels too short. I mean,
is it really worth breaking a sweat for such a short ride?
And in the middle of summer here it's impossible to NOT
break a sweat... Hence starting the river loop or Mt
Coot-tha on the way.

I reckon the 26km I used to ride from Eight Mile Plains was
just perfect.

Old October 31st 06, 03:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

asterope wrote:

Absent Husband Wrote:
[...]

We could tee him up with a westsider, who he could draft
off...

Old October 31st 06, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Stuart Lamble

On 2006-10-31, Tamyka Bell wrote:
Duracell Bunny wrote:
I must say a regular 16km commute, as long as you have change
facilities, would be quite pleasant if you can pick your travel times

That's what I've got!

You too, huh? Just under 16 km from my place to my desk (includes
walking from the bottom of the stairs up to the first floor, and down
the corridor to my office.)

But 16km just feels too short. I mean,
is it really worth breaking a sweat for such a short ride?

*Yes*. Any day I can ride my bike in, I consider a good day. (Damnit ...
must get that dynamo hub wheel built and set up, so I can prove a point
on Tuesday nights and cycle home at 10pm after a group thing that
happens each week.)

Old October 31st 06, 04:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

On 2006-10-31, Tamyka Bell wrote:
Duracell Bunny wrote:
I must say a regular 16km commute, as long as you have change
facilities, would be quite pleasant if you can pick your travel times

That's what I've got!

You too, huh? Just under 16 km from my place to my desk (includes
walking from the bottom of the stairs up to the first floor, and down
the corridor to my office.)

But 16km just feels too short. I mean,
is it really worth breaking a sweat for such a short ride?

*Yes*. Any day I can ride my bike in, I consider a good day. (Damnit ...
must get that dynamo hub wheel built and set up, so I can prove a point
on Tuesday nights and cycle home at 10pm after a group thing that
happens each week.)

Well... it's nicer than PT, but it barely counts as
exercise. Whereas if I run to and from uni, well that
_almost_ counts as training...

Old October 31st 06, 04:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Absent Husband wrote:
I read that on the weekend. It p!ssed me off a little when he basically
said that "the ride was exhilarating, but its not a realistic form of
transport".

Why not?!?! If it was 'exhilarating', what's so unrealistic about it??
*grrr!*

Abby (who thought the article was pretty sh!t actually...)

Wot Abby said. If only the writer mentioned that someone else a little
tougher would have got a better result. Some readers would have taken
his comment as affirmation, so it's a pity he didn't exhort readers to
give it a try.

Donga

Old October 31st 06, 07:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:05:29 +1100
asterope wrote:
You know, if he just gave it a good 2 weeks of commuting 32kms a day,
it wouldnt even take him 80 minutes IN TOTAL per day of travel time.

yes it would.

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

32km is a fair way. No idea if it's got much in the way of hills, i
do 20 and I'm better than I was but halve the time? no way.

If 1/3 of those single occupant vehicles were scooters/motorcycles,
what would the congestion be like?

Have to have eyes in your arse is all....

Zebee
Old October 31st 06, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

asterope wrote:
You know, if he just gave it a good 2 weeks of commuting 32kms a day,
it wouldnt even take him 80 minutes IN TOTAL per day of travel time.

yes it would.

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

32km is a fair way. No idea if it's got much in the way of hills, i
do 20 and I'm better than I was but halve the time? no way.

!6 each way is easier than the 20 each way I do (I saw 32 and forgot
he said 16 in the story) but it's still a lot. Worse if there are
bumpy bits.

I think it's a bad idea to tell people it gets real easy real quick
because when it doesn't they'll think they are no good and cycling's
not for them.

Zebee
Old October 31st 06, 08:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

I remember when I started riding again in March this year - a little 12km
ride
and I was worn out. Did 18km the next day though, and soon it stopped
hurting.

I must say a regular 16km commute, as long as you have change facilities,
would be quite pleasant if you can pick your travel times

Speaking as someone who used to have an 18km commute, it's a treat. My
current commute which is slightly under 8km each way is far too short.

Old October 31st 06, 11:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

Yes but ... 16Km in 80 minutes is 12Kph. I'm in my fifties, overweight,
I ride on average less than once a week, probably around 1500KM per
year, and I don't get any other meaningful exercise, but if I averaged
less than 24Kph on a slightly up and down city route with a mix of cycle
path, roads with traffic lights etc. I'd go see a doctor.

I'm sorry I don't know Trent Dalton, but unless he looks like Russ Hinze
he can surely do better than 12Kph.

Lars Clausen on Evening Magazine john_childs Unicycling 3 August 31st 05 10:12 PM
Great Money Making Opportunity gh General 0 March 24th 05 03:55 AM
Old Magazine Article - American Racers in Europe RWM Racing 0 May 4th 04 10:10 PM
mUni article in Charlotte Magazine (Charlotte, NC) zod Unicycling 5 February 5th 04 11:54 AM
MUNI article in a French Mountain Bike magazine fme Unicycling 14 January 14th 04 09:45 PM