First roadie, sora vs 105

Old March 5th 07, 09:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

Default First roadie, sora vs 105

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Seems the common theme is "if you can afford 105, then get it".

Problem is, I don't really subscribe to that approach - sure, I could
afford a Dura-ace bike if I wanted, but I wouldn't waste my money. So
in effect I'm trying to figure out if 105 for a hack like me _is_ a
waste of money ;-)

I have to admit that compared to the kilometres you lot rack up, for my
average distances the thing might as well have been sitting in the shed!

On average the 105 bikes are priced at least 50% higher - but of course
it's more than just the groupset that's improved for the extra cash.

Who knows, I could decide that I don't like riding roadies and switch
back to my slicked-MTB in a few months!

So I am leaning toward the cheapie option...

Cheers,
Jules

Jules wrote:
I've figured it's time to stop slowly morphing my MTB into something
faster and just get a proper road bike.

I'm not looking to spend heaps of cash, partly because I figure there's
less embarrassment in being passed by much fitter people when you're on
a cheap bike ;-)

So the choice basically comes down to a Sora-equipped or 105-equipped bike.

I took one of each out for a test ride today, and didn't really feel a
lot of difference in the gear shifts and crank-ability.

Given this'll be my first road bike, I'm leaning toward the cheaper
option so I can get used to this "roadie" concept and perhaps in a
couple of years I might see reason to upgrade.

Opinions / thoughts?

Cheers,
Jules

Old March 5th 07, 11:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_9_]

Jules Wrote:
So I am leaning toward the cheapie option...

Have you considered the not-so-cheapie option - Tiagra? Big step up
from Sora, not a big step up in price. You should keep in mind also
that it is not just the groupset which gets upgraded on more expensive
bikes, other components are better quality too.

--
SomeGuy

Old March 5th 07, 11:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Jules wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Seems the common theme is "if you can afford 105, then get it".

Problem is, I don't really subscribe to that approach - sure, I could
afford a Dura-ace bike if I wanted, but I wouldn't waste my money. So
in effect I'm trying to figure out if 105 for a hack like me _is_ a
waste of money ;-)

I have to admit that compared to the kilometres you lot rack up, for my
average distances the thing might as well have been sitting in the shed!

On average the 105 bikes are priced at least 50% higher - but of course
it's more than just the groupset that's improved for the extra cash.

Who knows, I could decide that I don't like riding roadies and switch
back to my slicked-MTB in a few months!

So I am leaning toward the cheapie option...

Cheers,
Jules

You're more likely to ride a nice bike than a heavy clunker, so if you
buy a cheaper bike thinking you won't ride it much then you probably
won't. On the other hand if you buy a really great bike you'll want to
ride whenever you can.

Friday
Old March 5th 07, 11:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

You're more likely to ride a nice bike than a heavy clunker, so if you
buy a cheaper bike thinking you won't ride it much then you probably
won't. On the other hand if you buy a really great bike you'll want to
ride whenever you can.

Absolutely agree - but bear in mind I'm coming from mountain bikes here.
Even the cheapest new road bike is hardly a "heavy clunker" in comparison!

I do plan to ride it "heaps".. but my definition of heaps doesn't quite
tally with a lot of aus.bicyclistas ;-)

Friday

Old March 5th 07, 11:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 6, 9:15 am, Jules wrote:
You're more likely to ride a nice bike than a heavy clunker, so if you
buy a cheaper bike thinking you won't ride it much then you probably
won't. On the other hand if you buy a really great bike you'll want to
ride whenever you can.

Absolutely agree - but bear in mind I'm coming from mountain bikes here.
Even the cheapest new road bike is hardly a "heavy clunker" in comparison!

I do plan to ride it "heaps".. but my definition of heaps doesn't quite
tally with a lot of aus.bicyclistas ;-)

Friday- Hide quoted text -

People drop huge amounts of money on a car, then baulk at buying a
decent bike. It's worth spending a couple of thou to get a bike that
you will love riding. There are other threads on a.b on how to
rationalise it to your wife ;-)

Donga

Old March 6th 07, 12:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
kanangara[_3_]

Jules Wrote:
Absolutely agree - but bear in mind I'm coming from mountain bikes
here.
Even the cheapest new road bike is hardly a "heavy clunker" in
comparison!

Speak for your own mountain bike!

In that case consider the following approximation of gear stuff.

Acera, Alevio = Sora
Deore = Tiagra = SRAM 5
LX = 105 = SRAM X7
XT = Ultegra = SRAM X9
XTR = Dura-ace = SRAM X0

Parbs - who prefers his Middleburn, Wipperman, Chris King drive train.

--
kanangara

Old March 6th 07, 05:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 5 Mar 2007 15:45:14 -0800
Donga wrote:

People drop huge amounts of money on a car, then baulk at buying a
decent bike. It's worth spending a couple of thou to get a bike that
you will love riding. There are other threads on a.b on how to
rationalise it to your wife ;-)

Someone asked me how much the 'bent cost and when told said "you could
buy a 2nd hand car for that!".

The idea that I didn't want a car was a bit hard for him to grasp....

Zebee
Old March 6th 07, 06:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman[_10_]

Gags Wrote:
"gravelmuncher"
wrote
in message ...

Ahh...don't forget that there is the Tiagra groupo that sit's between
Sora and 105. The impression that I'm getting is that Tiagra has been
all dressed up this time around and is awesome value. It also offers

3
crank options: 52/39 double, 50/34 compact double, and a 50/39/30
triple. I reckon it'd be as good as 105 USED to be, which is GOOD!!

IMO, i'd go for this and forget Sora. Sora is for bikes that sit in
the shed.

My first roadie had Sora on it and I put about 20000km or so through
the
drive train and the only thing that I had to replace was a chain that I
snapped.......curse my massive power output!!!! But seriously, I didn't
have any problems with the groupset and there was a certain
satisfaction to
be had when I won my first couple of crits in D Grade on it against
guys
running Record and Dura Ace......speaking of which, I am thinking about
having a crack at the Kew crits on a SS roadie at some stage....I will
have
to get off my arse and replace the cowhorns with normal road bars,
screw off
the fixed cog, then screw on a freewheel cog - I figure if I get a
ratio
that is pretty close to being right for the final sprint up the hill
then
all I would have to do would be hang on till the last corner and then
have a
crack!!! Of course I will actually have to get to the race first which
might prove to be harder than setting my bike up!!!

Gags

make sure its 6.8kg

--
monsterman

Old March 6th 07, 08:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"monsterman" wrote in
message ...

.......speaking of which, I am thinking about
having a crack at the Kew crits on a SS roadie at some stage....I will
have
to get off my arse and replace the cowhorns with normal road bars,
screw off
the fixed cog, then screw on a freewheel cog - I figure if I get a
ratio
that is pretty close to being right for the final sprint up the hill
then
all I would have to do would be hang on till the last corner and then
have a
crack!!! Of course I will actually have to get to the race first which
might prove to be harder than setting my bike up!!!

Gags

make sure its 6.8kg

Shouldn't be too hard......Steel is Real!!!

Old March 6th 07, 11:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Money_Shot

!

I do plan to ride it "heaps".. but my definition of heaps doesn't quite
tally with a lot of aus.bicyclistas ;-)

Jules, Start cheap and work your way up!

Roadie vs. MTB - Why? busysteve General 11 June 24th 06 01:51 PM
Becoming a roadie micky Australia 10 June 14th 05 01:15 AM
FA: Gunnar Roadie 52 -53 cm [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 26th 05 07:38 AM
So, would you make it as a roadie? Paladin Mountain Biking 13 October 19th 04 04:41 AM
Sora? JDTPumps Techniques 7 July 18th 03 05:37 PM