Crazy bar setup

Old January 31st 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Crazy bar setup

Hi All,

Has anyone used a Moustache bar mounted backwards?

I like pursuit style bars for stretching out into a headwind and
particularly for standing climbing, but for sitting cruising, a
comfortable wrist angle would be with narrow swept back bars like seen
on some recumbents.

Looking at the Nitto moustache bar, it looks like backwards it might
do the trick. But I'd need a crazy long stem and maybe would have knee
to bar interferecnce when standing.

Any normal bars with a swept back shape that are comfortable for my
wrists, have the hand positions too far back for well-balanced
standing climbing.

Any suggestions on strange bar types I might have a look at?

Joseph
Old January 31st 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 31, 7:17 am, "
wrote:
Hi All,

Has anyone used a Moustache bar mounted backwards?

I like pursuit style bars for stretching out into a headwind and
particularly for standing climbing, but for sitting cruising, a
comfortable wrist angle would be with narrow swept back bars like seen
on some recumbents.

Looking at the Nitto moustache bar, it looks like backwards it might
do the trick. But I'd need a crazy long stem and maybe would have knee
to bar interferecnce when standing.

I think you would hit your knees.

Any normal bars with a swept back shape that are comfortable for my
wrists, have the hand positions too far back for well-balanced
standing climbing.

Any suggestions on strange bar types I might have a look at?

Joseph

I guess I don't understand exactly what you're trying for. Maybe some
links to photos would help. It sounds like for cruising, you want
your palms angled toward the back-centerline of the bike, as with
North Road bars http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/handl...l#handlebarsup.
Is that right?

Moustache bars do that, Are they perhaps too wide for you?

If North Road bars satisfy the cruising requirement, but don't give a
"stretch out" position, perhaps addition of an aero bar or bar ends
could give you what you need.

And there are Bike Friday's "H" bars, which might also be modified to
your liking.
http://store.bikefriday.com/index.ph...953a&cPath=155
or http://tinyurl.com/3d7596

Are any of these anywhere close to what you're seeking?

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 31st 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 31, 6:02*pm, wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:17 am, "

North Road barshttp://sheldonbrown.com/harris/handlebars/index.html#handlebarsup.

your liking.http://store.bikefriday.com/index.ph...29f1a6e53731a6...
orhttp://tinyurl.com/3d7596

Are any of these anywhere close to what you're seeking?

- Frank Krygowski

The North Road bars look like the hand/wrist angle I'm looking for,
but they are too wide. I'd like my hands to be closer together when in
that angle.

Headwind stretch-out isn't really that important, but the pursuit bars
give a good standing climbing postion, like on the hoods for drop
bars. Having the grip area not far enough forward makes for clumsy
standing. Like when I try to stand holding the tops of drop bars.

The thread about the $$$ bike-path Trek reminded me of the existence
of Spinaci. Those on some pursuit bars might do it. Just adjusted far
back enough and upright enough not to rest my forearms on the bar. But
the mounting brackets would ruin one of my other favorite positions.

Joseph
Old January 31st 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Jan 31, 12:53*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:02*pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 7:17 am, "

wrote:
[...]

Joseph- Hide quoted text -

There's also Titec's variation on the H Bar:

http://www.titec.com/

/s
Old January 31st 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 31, 7:12*pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:53*pm, "

wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:02*pm, wrote:

On Jan 31, 7:17 am, "

wrote:
[...]

Those are interesting. Too wide, and lacking the forward hand position
I'm looking for.

If the Deda Synapsi was about $500 cheaper, not made from carbon,
available in a pursuit rather than drop, and not with an integrated
stem, it would be what I'm looking for, assuming the triangle is big
enough for my hands:

http://www.glorycycles.com/desyincabar.html

And I want a pony.

Joseph
Old February 6th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:12 pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:53 pm, "

wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:02 pm, wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:17 am, "
wrote:
[...]

Stab in the dark, I have these on my fixer (Scott AT-3), my favorite bar
for out of the saddle climbing:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/handlebars/scott_combo.html

No longer made, but show up occasionally on EBay.

GCN-More Crazy Cyclists [email protected] General 0 April 29th 07 11:33 AM
crazy hot rides ugly verb Australia 29 February 27th 07 10:09 PM
Bicycle-induced psychotropic effects, or Hey, that crazy dude really is crazy [email protected] Racing 7 February 8th 06 03:17 PM
Am I crazy like a fox, or just plain crazy? Brian Walker General 9 September 27th 05 05:54 AM
Am I crazy?? leela Australia 11 July 2nd 04 11:41 AM