Early electrical CVT

Old February 4th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Early electrical CVT

http://www.google.com/patents?id=U5h...dq=598819#PPP1

Somehow I doubt that Steinmetz was consulted.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 5th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:43:21 -0700, may have
said:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=U5h...dq=598819#PPP1

Ah, but if I read a couple of the paragraphs correctly, he expressly
disclaimed patent on the CVT possibility of the invention, noting that
the methods of achieving this via the addition of any of a number of
devices to his invention was well known. It was the fundamental idea
of the generator/motor system itself that he was patenting.

Old February 5th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 05 Feb 2008 18:58:50 GMT, nmp wrote:

carlfogel wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=U5h...dq=598819#PPP1

Somehow I doubt that Steinmetz was consulted.

The system reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_electric

The bike in the patent could have worked to an extent, I guess. Worked in
the sense that the thing would perhaps have moved forward. A little.

What exactly would Steinmetz have said?

Dear NMP,

Among other things, Steinmetz did considerable work in power
transformers. Edison favored direct current, which just won't work for
powering your home--Steinmetz worked out much of the stuff that gives
us 3-phase alternating current.

Unlike the primarily practical Edison, Steinmetz was a mathematical
genius, who worked out what's often known as Steinmetz's law:

"When Stephen Field, nephew of Cyrus Field of Atlantic Cable fame,
approached Eickenmeyer with a proposal to run trolley cars by
electricity using alternating current, Steinmetz was called upon. When
the transfer from direct current to alternating current was made,
there was a slight delay, slight, but long enough to cause the motor
to overheat. Working in Eickenmeyer’s laboratory and at his residence
at 124 Waverly Street in Yonkers, Steinmetz solved the problem
mathematically and his solution became known as the 'Law of
Hysteresis' or 'Steinmetz’s Law.'"
http://www.yonkershistory.org/stein.html

So I imagine that Steinmetz, who knew a lot about electrical power
transmission, might have looked at the odd bicycle transmission and
said something about the impressive power losses involved in replacing
a simple and incredibly efficient bicycle chain between two sprockets
with a pair of pulleys and two electric motor/generators.

Even a hand-cranked generator for an old field radio gets a lot hotter
than a leg-cranked bicycle chain, which suggests the kind of power
losses involved.

A nice Steinmetz site, with some details of the law of hysteresis. It
shows him rubbing shoulders with Kelvin, Einstein, Marconi, and
Edison:
http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/history/steinmetz.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 6th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:43:21 -0700, wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=U5h...dq=598819#PPP1

Somehow I doubt that Steinmetz was consulted.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

What is missing is a variable field control on one end or the other to
make it a "true" CVT

my electrical box datakoll Techniques 13 October 7th 07 12:54 AM
bicycle electrical system Rob Techniques 8 September 2nd 05 02:12 AM
Question for electrical experts ritcho Australia 5 August 24th 05 04:25 AM
[OT] DIY electrical work Zog The Undeniable UK 113 December 16th 04 07:09 PM