Allergic to motor traffic

Old April 2nd 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

Default Allergic to motor traffic

Hello,

I wonder if there are places cyclists here would frequent, but don't
because of the traffic.

Here in Appleton, WI, I'd hit the Fox River Mall more frequently than
I do if only it weren't so traffic-ridden.

Thankfully, I can get to the library, post office, grocery store, and
local park without worry.

What's it like where you live?

Cullen
Old April 2nd 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Pat[_7_]

Hello,

I wonder if there are places cyclists here would frequent, but don't
because of the traffic.

Here in Appleton, WI, I'd hit the Fox River Mall more frequently than
I do if only it weren't so traffic-ridden.

Thankfully, I can get to the library, post office, grocery store, and
local park without worry.

What's it like where you live?

Cullen

I think this depends upon the boldness of the rider. I was on a website
where some of the people wrote they wouldn't ride on a road because "it
didn't have shoulders." And then, I realized that these back country roads
in Texas where I ride do not have shoulders--all of them. Only a few streets
in town have bike lanes, and I keep having to dodge the dog walkers, the
pram-pushers, and the exercise walkers in those.

It's the "worry" quotient that's the difference, I guess.

Pat in TX

Old April 3rd 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 1, 9:09*pm, "Pat" wrote:

I think this depends upon the boldness of the rider. I was on a website
where some of the people wrote they wouldn't ride on a road because "it
didn't have shoulders." *And then, I realized that these back country roads
in Texas where I ride do not have shoulders--all of them. Only a few streets
in town have bike lanes, and I keep having to dodge the dog walkers, the
pram-pushers, and the exercise walkers in those.

It's the "worry" quotient that's the difference, I guess.

Pat in TX

I went to a very small, rural college in Wisconsin, and would
frequently go on long rides on the back country roads. You're right,
they never had shoulders. However, they also didn't have a lot of
traffic too. I felt pretty safe on them.

Cullen

Old April 11th 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Taylor

Aside from a relatively safe route, you need a secure place to tie up
your bike. The other thing is visibility- a reflective vest or blinky
light. Make you feel safe, anyway.

BT