Sheldon Brown's bicycles and components for sale --

Old November 15th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Sheldon Brown's bicycles and components for sale --

Forwarded from a local (Boston) list, from John Allen, a close friend of
Sheldon's.

Over the next few months, several of Sheldon Brown's bicycles, and
numerous components, will be for sale on EBay and Craigslist. My son
Jacob and I are helping Harriet sell these items.

At this time, the first item, a Brooks Professional saddle, is for
sale on EBay. Bids have gone up to $57 so far; bidding closes at 5:17
PM EST Sunday, This item amounts to just dipping a toe into the
water -- *many* more items will be for sale.

Search on Sheldon Brown bicycle to find these items (and to avoid
the many items of memorabilia related to

Generally, items of special interest, with a limited market but
likely to sell at a good price and/or easy to ship (e.g., customized
bicycles, 16-inch Greenspeed rear wheel, saddles, will go up on EBay,
and items of more general interest that will probably sell locally
(e.g., steel frames suitable to build up into fixed-gear bikes) on
Craigslist. Run-of-the-mill stuff that wouldn't sell for much, but
can be used to build up usable bicycles, is being donated to Bikes Not
Bombs.

If Interested, please keep checking at EBay and Craigslist! I'll be
posting a message here occasionally as more items are posted.

John S. Allen

Old November 15th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Peter Cole" wrote: (clip) Generally, items of special interest, with a
limited market but
likely to sell at a good price and/or easy to ship (e.g., customized
bicycles, 16-inch Greenspeed rear wheel, saddles, will go up on EBay,
and items of more general interest that will probably sell locally
(e.g., steel frames suitable to build up into fixed-gear bikes) on
Craigslist. Run-of-the-mill stuff that wouldn't sell for much, but
can be used to build up usable bicycles, is being donated to Bikes Not
Bombs. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To a great many people, owning a piece of Sheldon Brown memorabilia would
have special significance. You should consider providing a "provenance
certificate" with the items. I expect that this would greatly enhance the
value of things that you might otherwise give away by the handful.

Old November 15th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Peter Cole wrote:

Run-of-the-mill stuff that wouldn't sell for much, but
can be used to build up usable bicycles, is being donated to Bikes Not
Bombs.

I think some of us who knew him, but never lived near him, might like
to buy some ordinary little thing he once owned. Sheldon had a lot of
friends; more than he was personally aware of.

Chalo
Old November 15th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...is-442633.html
Old November 15th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Leo Lichtman wrote:
[...]

I'll pass that along to the guy who's doing the selling.
Old November 15th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Chalo wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Run-of-the-mill stuff that wouldn't sell for much, but
can be used to build up usable bicycles, is being donated to Bikes Not
Bombs.

I think some of us who knew him, but never lived near him, might like
to buy some ordinary little thing he once owned. Sheldon had a lot of
friends; more than he was personally aware of.

Chalo

I'll pass that along.
Old November 16th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Leo Lichtman:
You should consider providing a "provenance
certificate"

I'll second that. Putting myself in the place of potential
buyer, I'd think it would add a lot to any item's value.

This is the first time in my life that I've felt a sense of loss
when somebody that I've never even seen died.
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 16th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

(PeteCresswell) schreef:
Per Leo Lichtman:
You should consider providing a "provenance
certificate"

I'll second that. Putting myself in the place of potential
buyer, I'd think it would add a lot to any item's value.

I don't get that relic stuff.

This is the first time in my life that I've felt a sense of loss
when somebody that I've never even seen died.

Because HE was a nice and helpfull person. The remembrance is enough for
me. I need no rear derailleur tagged 'owned by Sheldon Brown' for that.

Lou
Old November 16th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
slide

Peter Cole wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Run-of-the-mill stuff that wouldn't sell for much, but
can be used to build up usable bicycles, is being donated to Bikes Not
Bombs.

I think some of us who knew him, but never lived near him, might like
to buy some ordinary little thing he once owned. Sheldon had a lot of
friends; more than he was personally aware of.

Chalo

I'll pass that along.

Although somewhat morbid, a note from his widow may also enhance value
to some folks. I find this sort of interest rather creepy. My reason for
suggesting this is to see that his family ends up with the most amount
of money from this sell off.

Personally speaking, I find more value in applying Sheldon's suggestions
to my riding than riding something Sheldon touched.