Red transparent tape of flashlight lens?

Old November 17th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Red transparent tape of flashlight lens?

On Nov 17, 6:55 am, " wrote:
On Nov 16, 7:38 pm, Dan O wrote:

On Nov 16, 8:18 am, " wrote:

On Nov 15, 11:06 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Nov 15, 2:48 pm, " wrote:

[...]
While at the marine store today I picked up a flashing emergency
light. Claimed to be visible for a mile, intended to clip to a PFG
for MOB locating. It's white, so I wouldn't use it in the dark, but
for rainy and foggy days like today it'll be on my jacket in addition
to my tail lights. Nice, bright unit for $10.

I'm glad you don't plan to use that at night. Those things are
blinding and confusing for other road users. Pretty sure they're
illegal, partly for those reasons.

The white strobes on school buses are highly annoying.

Agreed. So are strobe mode headlights. This particular light is to
be used only in certain circumstances. It's visibility, annoying
factor and disorientating factor will all be evaluated. I think it'll
be a really good thing in heavy rain & fog.

.TONIGHT...INCREASING AREAS OF FOG...LOCALLY DENSE. LOWS 35 TO
40. LIGHT WIND.
.MONDAY...AREAS OF FOG IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY
SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE MID 50S. LIGHT WIND.

Planet Bike headlight and taillight here. The whole kit cost around
$50, keeps me pretty much legal, gets noticed, can go weeks or more on
two AAA and two AA batteries, stows along with spare batteries in a
small trunk bag pocket, and comes from a great company.

We clearly have very different ideas of what is an acceptable amount
of light, especially in the fog. There isn't a planet bike headlight
for $50 or less, much less a combo including a taillight, that throws
enough light forward to be able to ride comfortably at speed through
varying terrain in the dark IMO. If you want to putter down the road
@ 8MPH, or are riding through a city that’s pretty well lit up
already, things are different, but when it’s _truly_ dark out all
those cheap bike-specific headlights are woefully inadequate.

Life is chock-full of trade-offs. Sure I'd rather have vastly better
illumination ahead, and hope that someday I will, but it'll be way
more costly and/or complicated than what I have now - which quite
reliably gets noticed, and even does an admirable job of illuminating
the fog line and most big things in the way - at extremely reasonable
cost / weight / installation / maintenance. Anyway, the topic of this
thread was taillights.

It was pretty foggy this morning after all, and maybe almost "truly
dark" [1], as well. I ride many miles on unlit rural connecting road
and highway. Today, at the request of concerned others, I ran two (2)
little Planet Bike taillights - one clamped to the rear rack
upright,and one clipped to the tab of my messenger bag (the Pedro's
messenger bag also has an exceptionally reflective stripe across the
back). Even in the dense fog, my experience with the PB taillight was
as usual: I could hear cars approaching from behind, suddenly slow
waaaay back there as the driver apparently assessed what all that
light was coming from; everybody seemed to notice me from plenty far
away.

[1] Even out in the country where I ride, light from the city many
miles away can cast a glow into the sky, and I guess water vapor or
whatever transmits some of that light down to the road. Heck, lights
at the high school football field can cast a glow that illuminates the
road fairly brightly a mile or more away. Rarely - if ever - is it
truly dark, although it does get "quite dark" down in the trees and
stuff - at which point my little Planet Bike headlight actually seems
most effective.