material to do clamps

Old July 17th 16, 10:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default material to do clamps

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 07:21:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/16/2016 2:09 AM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 19:30:05 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 08:26:56 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I also read that the Average U.S. family owes nearly $16,00 in credit
card debt.

I think you mean $16,000 per household or about $7,700 per individual.
It's much worse because only about 1/3 of the personal debt is in
credit card debt. It's quite a horror story:
http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-card-debt

Well yes, per household may be correct although the article I read
said family. Assuming, I guess that a family equaled a household, I
suppose.

Whether "horror" is the correct term I'm not quite sure.

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com
"Self-control separates us from our ancient ancestors and the rest of
the animal kingdom, thanks to our large prefrontal cortex. It is the
ability to subdue our impulses in order to achieve longer-term goals.
Rather than responding to immediate impulses, we can plan, evaluate
alternative actions, and, often enough, avoid doing things we'll later
regret."

I hope that starts soon. It will be a big improvement if it
ever happens.

I suggest NOT holding your breath while waiting :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 16, 11:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 14:04:07 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/16/2016 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Your seem to have a real comprehension issue.

Like for 20 years.

a. The potential severing piece was _not_ a fender part but a bracket
for other purposes low on a motorcycle.

b. We were discussing easy to achieve protection, for example by simply
filing down and sanding sharp edges. Which you promptly derided (not
surprise). Mounting bash guards on bikes with non-standard setup is a
different ballgame.

I recall when GM decided to save money by not removing sharp edges on
metal supports underneath the front seats of some of their vehicles. The
fact is that people reach under the seats all the time, they hide things
there when parked, they use it as a storage area for chargers, bottles
of water, razors, etc..

You could see posts by apologists claiming that it wasn't an issue
because no one should ever be reaching under their seats for anything,
and attacking the person who posted that he needed stitches after
reaching under the seat. In later models, Saturn fixed the problem, so
clearly they were aware of it.

http://www.ringcar.com/12_de15dc924ef7b915_1.htm

If you've ever gone through UL, CSA, or TUV safety approvals on a
product they are very thorough about finding exposed safety hazards.

Well, I am fairly sure that I am not only older than you but my guess
is that I've been fooling with bicycles, scooters, cars and
motorcycles for a lot longer than you also. My first "car" was a 1937
Chevy coupe.

I have never seen an seat bracket that showed any indication of
deliberate removal of sharp edges. And out of curiosity I just went
out and had a look at my wife's 2 year old Honda "Jazz" and it shows
no indication of any deliberate rounding or other form of removal of
sharp edges, and some of the seat brackets do show very obvious
"burrs" from stamping and shearing to shape.

And I might add, I have never known anyone who severely cut their hand
fooling about under the seat either.

And, I might add that your reference above did not say that the car
company actually did anything about the problem that he says existed.
He actually says " I believe that Saturn has changed the undercarriage
design of their seats for the current model..."

Now "changing the design" is not "rounding the edges" nor he give any
other indication that either his insurance company or Saturn even
replied to his complaint.

And I suppose that you read the responses to your expert's post? The
reply immediately below reads "It sounds like you are trying to scam
Saturn for money to compensate you for your own carelessness."

And the one just below that reads, in part, " I wonder if he'll sue
Bic the next time he cuts himself shaving? "

Your arguments are silly and your quoted authority was accused of
fraud.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 16, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 15:38:14 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 3:12:27 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/16/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:

If you've ever gone through UL, CSA, or TUV safety approvals on a
product they are very thorough about finding exposed safety hazards.

Have you boys forgotten that this is not an "exposed" safety hazard?
It's a tiny bracket to attach stays to a fender. It probably protrudes
no more than 1/10 inch.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/S...ndIMG_4322.JPG

Despite Joerg's hype, it's unlikely to ever scratch anybody. And if it
does, it will be literally a scratch. It certainly won't cut someone's
foot off, as Joerg implied!

No, Frank, that was the home-brew rack with the built-in foot-slicer -- and not a fender. Fenders stays are even more dangerous and can penetrate your brain. I've quit using fenders because they are dangerous. Spokes can be dangerous when they break, too -- so I quit using those. And my threadless stem has more than 5mm of spacers on top. I might as well have a spear pointed at my chest. I had a friend who forgot to put caps on his brake cable ends, and one punctured his aorta in a crash. That's why I switched to hydraulic brakes. And now I wear full body armor and bubble wrap.

-- Jay Beattie

P.S. -- my son told me a hilarious story about a middle-aged woman who came into his shop looking for body armor for a fire-road ride with her girlfriends. He tried to sell her some knee pads, but they were too expensive.

I believe that some motorcyclists actually wear clothes with some form
of built in "armour", probably Kevlar, or some such stuff. See
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-protective-gear

And, I just discovered that bicyclists have it too. see
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cn/en/body-armour

By gory, these two wheeled death machines seem pretty dangerous to me.
I'm positively amazed that my 12 year old grand daughter dares to ride
one. I tried, God knows I tried, to explain to her how dangerous that
machine was and she just looked at me...
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 16, 12:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 08:30:12 -0700, sms

On 2016-07-15 20:05, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/15/2016 8:47 PM, sms wrote:

I hate kludges. It's possible to fabricate non-kludgy clamps when
absolutely necessary, but with the ability to order these sorts of
things online there's a lot less need to do so.

From Scharf's website, a photo of his "non-kludgy" headlight mounting.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0281.jpg

I guess since it's "solid oak" it's not a kludge.

Beautiful! Gives me an idea. So far I've used Delrin but oak looks a lot
more posh and can also be stained to match the style.

"Kludge" is something that is mechanically and/or electrically fragile
and temporary. You see bicycles with hose clamps, electrical tape,
bungee cords, etc. holding things together.

You English knowledge seems a bit weak. From the dictionary:

kludge ~ noun
A badly assembled collection of parts hastily assembled to serve some
particular purpose .

Nothing at all about" fragile and temporary".

Many years ago I went on a "Christmas Lights" ride. This was before the
availability of good bicycle lights, and many riders had home made light
systems, including me. Many of the them were not well designed, and as
we rode, pieces began falling off into the road.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/16/2016 5:04 PM, sms wrote:

[...]

Right. $19.95 at a bike shop versus screaming deals on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ballistic-ce...ate?rmvSB=true

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 17th 16, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-16 14:04, sms wrote:
[...]

That's where to a large extent I learned this stuff (others obviously
not). All med tech designs have to go through tests where a cutting or
intrusion hazard would immediately be flagged and they'd send you back
to the drawing board. Rightfully so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 17th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-16 08:30, sms wrote:

[...]

... You see bicycles with hose clamps, electrical tape,
bungee cords, etc. holding things together.

Many years ago I went on a "Christmas Lights" ride. This was before the
availability of good bicycle lights, and many riders had home made light
systems, including me. Many of the them were not well designed, and as
we rode, pieces began falling off into the road.

Mine didn't fall apart. Back in the 80's I had a battery inside a sturdy
mount and on some bikes even a small dashboard. Though I abandonded that
because it attracted too much riff-raff milling about my bike.

Today it's the same, all made with "kludgy" materials from hardware
stores and such but much better than anything the bicycle accessory
industry managed to come up with. Like this:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Battbox2.JPG

That's not a kludge. You're not holding it to the rack with cable ties
or bungee cords. It's in a solid case. You're solidly mounting it to the
rack. You're using fender washers. You have lock nuts on the outside.

I think one thing you should do is to put a toggle switch rubber cover
on the switch.

I had that but it flew off. So I used some grease. It's mainly just so
water won't get in. The purpose of the switch is to be able to remove
power from the MTB after a crash, just like the "bone" switch they have
on rallye cars. Also goes off in the garage because else the status LED
on the front light would eat up the battery juice if parked longer than
a week without the charger connected.

Old July 17th 16, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-15 20:05, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/15/2016 8:47 PM, sms wrote:

I hate kludges. It's possible to fabricate non-kludgy clamps when
absolutely necessary, but with the ability to order these sorts of
things online there's a lot less need to do so.

From Scharf's website, a photo of his "non-kludgy" headlight mounting.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0281.jpg

I guess since it's "solid oak" it's not a kludge.

Beautiful! Gives me an idea. So far I've used Delrin but oak looks a lot
more posh and can also be stained to match the style.

"Kludge" is something that is mechanically and/or electrically fragile
and temporary. You see bicycles with hose clamps, electrical tape,
bungee cords, etc. holding things together.

You English knowledge seems a bit weak. From the dictionary:

kludge ~ noun
A badly assembled collection of parts hastily assembled to serve some
particular purpose .

Nothing at all about" fragile and temporary".

Like this phone wiring "panel" in Lebanon? :-)

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Bei...-telco-01.html

Old July 17th 16, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I also read that the Average U.S. family owes nearly $16,00 in credit
card debt.

I think you mean $16,000 per household or about $7,700 per individual.
It's much worse because only about 1/3 of the personal debt is in
credit card debt. It's quite a horror story:
http://www.valuepenguin.com/average-credit-card-debt

Well yes, per household may be correct although the article I read
said family. Assuming, I guess that a family equaled a household, I
suppose.

Household is the current politically correct term for family, which
includes various non-traditional forms of cohabitation and communal
living, including the nuclear family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_family

Whether "horror" is the correct term I'm not quite sure.

I sometimes help friends with their personal finances and associated
calculations. The average household income in the US is about
$54,000. A $16,000 annual debt means that 30% of the gross goes to
servicing the principal, and probably another 10% servicing the
interest. Taxes will typically gobble about 25% and housing another
25% leaving 10% to pay for transport, medical, food, toys etc. The
only way out is to convert the short term credit card debt into a long
term "home improvement" loan, which effectively makes the debt almost
permanent. Yeah, it's a horror story.

From: https://www.psychologytoday.com
"Self-control separates us from our ancient ancestors and the rest of
the animal kingdom, thanks to our large prefrontal cortex. It is the
ability to subdue our impulses in order to achieve longer-term goals.
Rather than responding to immediate impulses, we can plan, evaluate
alternative actions, and, often enough, avoid doing things we'll later
regret."

Delayed gratification? I want it all and I want it now.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 18th 16, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-07-15 20:05, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/15/2016 8:47 PM, sms wrote:

I hate kludges. It's possible to fabricate non-kludgy clamps when
absolutely necessary, but with the ability to order these sorts of
things online there's a lot less need to do so.

From Scharf's website, a photo of his "non-kludgy" headlight mounting.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/img_0281.jpg

I guess since it's "solid oak" it's not a kludge.

Beautiful! Gives me an idea. So far I've used Delrin but oak looks a lot
more posh and can also be stained to match the style.

"Kludge" is something that is mechanically and/or electrically fragile
and temporary. You see bicycles with hose clamps, electrical tape,
bungee cords, etc. holding things together.

You English knowledge seems a bit weak. From the dictionary:

kludge ~ noun
A badly assembled collection of parts hastily assembled to serve some
particular purpose .

Nothing at all about" fragile and temporary".

Like this phone wiring "panel" in Lebanon? :-)

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/Bei...-telco-01.html

While Bangkok isn't quite that bad it does resemble, in some parts of
town, something much like Beirut. But some of it has been there for 30
or 40 years and is still working. So obviously "fragile and temporary"
doesn't apply. :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Bottle Cage Clamps Bill the Cat Australia 11 April 9th 08 12:27 AM
KH06 bearing clamps bungalistic Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 05:01 PM
Assembling Odi lock jaw clamps? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 5 July 18th 05 04:40 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 01:18 PM