material to do clamps

Old July 19th 16, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default material to do clamps

http://health.heraldtribune.com/file...fitbrief19.jpg

http://pngimg.com/upload/scissors_PNG17.png
Old July 19th 16, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-19 11:31, SMS wrote:
On 7/18/2016 3:24 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Flying off would certainly be the main concern. I once had the trunk lid
of my Citroen 2CV fly off while driving on a German autobahn. The only
reason I noticed it was that I saw sparks flying in my rearview, looked
back ... "Oh s..t!"

Jay, as an attorney, should be well aware of how important it is the
products be designed in a way that it is very difficult for even the
most clueless person to use it incorrectly.

If he is an attorney then I really do not understand some of his
paint job for a unit that some clumsy customer dropped onto his foot
because without the paint job it wouldn't have been marketed and,
therefore, not have fallen onto his foot.

I recall driving across the GG bridge and the vehicle next to me had a
bike on the roof with one leg of the fork clamped into the rack, and the
other one not. It was being pushed sideways at a large angle due to the
wind. If it had been a carbon fork it probably would have snapped, but
this was pre-carbon. The fork was still likely damaged beyond repair,
but at least the bicycle didn't fall off.

It's time for Yakima and Thule to put cameras onto their racks, and
sensors that warn when something is not installed or being used
correctly. Instead of TPMS it would be RRMS (roof rack monitoring system).

That's user error. However, if a roof rack is unnecessarily designed
with sharp and pointy things protruding then the manufacturer may face
some liability when accidents happen. Because that is a sub-par design.

My MTB buddy bought a powerful blender for mixed drinks and such.
Shortly thereafter it was recalled because it had more than the usual
single pair of blades and people cut themselves while cleaning. Duh!
That's how far it has come :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 19th 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/19/2016 11:47 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-07-19 11:31, SMS wrote:
[...]

I have a Cuisinart blender where the motor can be turned on with only
the blades in place, without the pitcher. I am amazed that that made it
through UL. All the Cuisinart food processors have interlocks so the
motor can't run without the lid on the container.

---

Old July 19th 16, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-07-19 12:04, SMS wrote:
On 7/19/2016 11:47 AM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

My MTB buddy bought a powerful blender for mixed drinks and such.
Shortly thereafter it was recalled because it had more than the usual
single pair of blades and people cut themselves while cleaning. Duh!
That's how far it has come :-(

I have a Cuisinart blender where the motor can be turned on with only
the blades in place, without the pitcher.

Yikes! That thing should at least be locked away any time there are kids
in the house. Even adults could get hurt. Just imagine the umpteenth
Margarita and uncle Joe saying "Hey, thash .. thash ... burp ...
shupah easiee, lemmeee doo dat!"

... I am amazed that that made it
through UL. All the Cuisinart food processors have interlocks so the
motor can't run without the lid on the container.

That's how it should be. IIRC even mom's old Braun blender from the 50's
had an interlock.

Old July 19th 16, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 11:31:37 AM UTC-7, SMS wrote:
On 7/18/2016 3:24 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Flying off would certainly be the main concern. I once had the trunk lid
of my Citroen 2CV fly off while driving on a German autobahn. The only
reason I noticed it was that I saw sparks flying in my rearview, looked
back ... "Oh s..t!"

Jay, as an attorney, should be well aware of how important it is the
products be designed in a way that it is very difficult for even the
most clueless person to use it incorrectly.

The coddling has to stop somewhere, though, because consumers cannot afford perfectly safe products, e.g. a knife that has a flesh sensor and deploys a nanotube guard when it approaches your hand. However, when a product cannot be used safely even if instructions are followed, it's defective, and in most states, you can sue in strict products liability. When instructions are not followed, the legal result varies from state to state. California allows the most stupid to recover -- and believe it or not, Texas, too.

Under a pure consumer expectation test, well-manufactured but obviously dangerous products like whirling propeller blades on an outboard are not defective, even though some dope may decide to stick his tongue in them. Read this case: http://openjurist.org/903/f2d/1505/e...ck-corporation

California could not stomach the possibility of denying full compensation (or public office) to dopes, so it ****-canned the pure consumer expectation test and opted for a risk-utility test, which is too boring to discuss here. Now we have the Restatement 3rd approach -- also mind numbing. And then we have ordinary negligence cases. This law stuff is just too too.

The bottom line is that most cases will go to a jury, and then the question is simply whether the plaintiff should be allowed to recover. Keep in mind that the law requires all people to act reasonably, and I don't think it is reasonable for some dope to slop his bike into a fork-mount roof rack without reading the instructions or making sure the QR is tight -- but hey, that's just me.

I recall driving across the GG bridge and the vehicle next to me had a
bike on the roof with one leg of the fork clamped into the rack, and the
other one not. It was being pushed sideways at a large angle due to the
wind. If it had been a carbon fork it probably would have snapped, but
this was pre-carbon. The fork was still likely damaged beyond repair,
but at least the bicycle didn't fall off.

It's time for Yakima and Thule to put cameras onto their racks, and
sensors that warn when something is not installed or being used
correctly. Instead of TPMS it would be RRMS (roof rack monitoring system)..

It's time for people to put down their smartphones and grow brains. Most of these rack issues involve inattention. I see no problem requiring that people pay attention at least some of the time. Smart phones should be programmed to identify the six minutes a day that the owner must actually pay attention -- Pokemon Go turns off, the screen lights up and starts counting down with glowing instructions: "Wake up dumb f***. Time to pay attention." Maybe have Siri sing it -- but no drum beat because the user will start dancing and forget the message.

Welcome to Costco. I love you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 19th 16, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/19/2016 11:47 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

That's user error.

The goal is to design products where a user error like not tightening
the QR clamp on a fork mount roof rack is not possible, or at least
there is a warning when you do something wrong, or some back-up mechanism.

On my roof rack, even when the frame clamp is closed and locked I'll
still use a secondary device to secure it.

And as much as I like Thule products, on two attachments I have, they
secure to the cross bars with knob-nuts or knob-bolts which have a
tendency to loosen over time. So I designed a retention system that
prevents them from loosening.

---

Old July 22nd 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. wrote:

Cheaper actually. I saw one being sold for
350 baht the other day - about US$ 10.00.

(BTW, 350 THB seems to be almost exactly 10 USD!)

Here, in the shop that is the cheapest
according to hearsay, the angle grinders are
between US$ 29 and US$ 198 - that is, quite
a difference from what you were able to find!

But I don't think I like this tool. For small
work, I prefer the hacksaw. For big I'd like
something than can be lowered along a fixed
line, i.e. a frame much like the one used for
wood - this isn't something I have (for metal)
but I don't see why it couldn't work along the
same, ahem, lines...

- so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 22nd 16, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. wrote:

No I didn't forget :-0

But, I guess that the arena might be
considered as "in doors", and I suspect that
a stout pair of boots might be seen as giving
an unfair advantage to the kicker :-)

Yes, apart from being unpractical and an extra
expense one would have to agree the allowed
weight and so on.

But the Thai fighter do wear wraps and gloves.
The gloves I think are smaller than in Wester
boxing, perhaps as low as 8 oz. (Actually now
I see 8 oz gloves were was used in Mayweather
vs. Pacquiao so perhaps it is the same
as well.)

I don't know about Scandinavia (is that
a proper term?)

"Scandinavia" should be Denmark, Norway and
Sweden which are very much alike culturally
apart from Norway being somewhat a madhouse.

Sometimes the term also includes Finland and
Iceland, even the Faroe Islands! About the
islanders, I honestly can't say, but I suspect
the Icelanders being somewhat like us tho.

Finland is very much like Sweden (or we are
like them) in terms of *society* (the Finns
have a large Swedish-speaking minority which
has traditionally been there elite, and we have
groups of them, as well) however in terms of
genes and the Finish language they are obviously
totally different.

but I believe that many British and quite
a lot of U.S. farm houses had "Mud Rooms"
a small room built as part of an entrance
where one removed one's outdoor footwear as
usually the Housewife objected strenuously
when the "Man of the House" came tramping
into her kitchen with all the cow manure on
his boots.

Here everyone removes their shoes, even the
kids. However this doesn't stop the women from
being neurotic about it because it is a common
scene that the kids after removing their shoes
throws them in different directions instead of
putting them neatly on a line

- so far: 58 Blogomatic articles -
Old July 23rd 16, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:16:32 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Cheaper actually. I saw one being sold for
350 baht the other day - about US$ 10.00.

(BTW, 350 THB seems to be almost exactly 10 USD!)

Well, you are almost correct :-) Today's exchange rate was 35.04/1 US$
and about a week ago it was 35.14 :-) Thus the "about".

Here, in the shop that is the cheapest
according to hearsay, the angle grinders are
between US$ 29 and US$ 198 - that is, quite
a difference from what you were able to find!

Well, yes. the economics here are somewhat different. The legal
minimum daily wage is 300 baht a day. And every time I write that
there is a loud cry "How Can Anyone Live on That?". It isn't exactly
difficult when your lunch probably costs you 20 baht. And yes, the
rest of the costs are pretty much in line with that.

But I don't think I like this tool. For small
work, I prefer the hacksaw. For big I'd like
something than can be lowered along a fixed
line, i.e. a frame much like the one used for
wood - this isn't something I have (for metal)
but I don't see why it couldn't work along the
same, ahem, lines...

Well, if I were cutting off a 5mm bolt I probably wouldn't use an
angle grinder but I have a sheet of stainless someone gave me. Say 50
cm X 50 cm and about 1mm thick that I make brackets out of. If I were
making several brackets, say 10mm wide and maybe 10 cm long, before
bending, I would just draw a straight line 10 mm from an edge and
slice it off with a 1mm cut-off wheel on the 4.5" angle grinder.

I would rarely be making something out of anything thicker than 1/4",
so it is much faster to use the cut-off wheel than a hacksaw.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 23rd 16, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:31:32 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

No I didn't forget :-0

But, I guess that the arena might be
considered as "in doors", and I suspect that
a stout pair of boots might be seen as giving
an unfair advantage to the kicker :-)

Yes, apart from being unpractical and an extra
expense one would have to agree the allowed
weight and so on.

But the Thai fighter do wear wraps and gloves.
The gloves I think are smaller than in Wester
boxing, perhaps as low as 8 oz. (Actually now
I see 8 oz gloves were was used in Mayweather
vs. Pacquiao so perhaps it is the same
as well.)

I'm not a follower of Muay Thai but certainly years ago in smaller
towns the fighters wore only hand wrapping and I suspect, I don't know
for a fact, that the present day gloves worn in the Big City are at
least partially to protect the boxer's hands.

I don't know about Scandinavia (is that
a proper term?)

"Scandinavia" should be Denmark, Norway and
Sweden which are very much alike culturally
apart from Norway being somewhat a madhouse.

Sometimes the term also includes Finland and
Iceland, even the Faroe Islands! About the
islanders, I honestly can't say, but I suspect
the Icelanders being somewhat like us tho.

Do the Icelanders use family name? Somewhere I read or heard that a
person named "john Johnson" was literally that, John's son.

Finland is very much like Sweden (or we are
like them) in terms of *society* (the Finns
have a large Swedish-speaking minority which
has traditionally been there elite, and we have
groups of them, as well) however in terms of
genes and the Finish language they are obviously
totally different.

I have a good friend who is a Hungarian and he once told me that the
Finnish and Hungarian languages are related and both are unique in
Europe and they are both related to the Mongol language.

but I believe that many British and quite
a lot of U.S. farm houses had "Mud Rooms"
a small room built as part of an entrance
where one removed one's outdoor footwear as
usually the Housewife objected strenuously
when the "Man of the House" came tramping
into her kitchen with all the cow manure on
his boots.

Here everyone removes their shoes, even the
kids. However this doesn't stop the women from
being neurotic about it because it is a common
scene that the kids after removing their shoes
throws them in different directions instead of
putting them neatly on a line

I'm not sure about neurotic, exactly. After all, they are the ones
that have to mop the floor :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Bottle Cage Clamps Bill the Cat Australia 11 April 9th 08 12:27 AM
KH06 bearing clamps bungalistic Unicycling 13 January 14th 07 05:01 PM
Assembling Odi lock jaw clamps? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 5 July 18th 05 04:40 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 01:18 PM