Anyone doing the Wicklow 200...?

Old December 11th 04, 05:53 PM
Bubba

Default Anyone doing the Wicklow 200...?

Hi,

Here it is December 11th and I'm feeling a wee bit depressed as I look out
my window and see rain, lotsa' a wind and a thermometer that says it's
really cold outside (Pacific Northwest!). I'm thinking of more joyful times
of riding my road bike under much better conditions, that's for sure!

Anyway, enough melancholy, I'd like to go to Ireland and do the Wicklow 200
Challenge this coming June 12th and was wondering if there are any other
cyclists out there considering doing the same ride?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has either done this ride or is planning on
doing it...It would be nice to chat with others about the Wicklow 200, Sally
Gap, Wicklow Gap (I believe featured in the 1998 Tour de France). I have
plenty of cold, wet training rides (until the spring!) ahead of me to get
prepared for what I understand is a very strenuous ride!

I realize I must be a bit of a masochist to be thinking of riding up some
long steep mountain road with my heart rate monitor on 'TILT!', my bike
barely moving, sweating my brains out and my head feeling like the lit end
of a match...(aahhhh, those are the days!) during the holiday season but,
hey, what can I say!

P.S. Also around July 2nd is the Killarney SummerFest that includes a
supported(?) 112 mile ride around the Ring of Kerry...I understand that
riding the Ring of Kerry between June thru August can be very challenging
due to the narrow roads and summer tourist traffic!

I've seen pictures of the Gap of Dunloe and all I can say is I'd hate to
crest that climb and have a truck (lorry?) reaching the top from the other
direction at the same time!

Anyway, let's have a 'bit of a chin wag' to get through another crappy
winter...Okay, okay I know Winter doesn't start for another ten days...Get
over it!

George

Old December 12th 04, 02:45 PM
Bert L.am

[...]