Weight Considerations: Road Vs. Mountain

Old October 8th 05, 04:00 AM
Ron Ruff

Default Weight Considerations: Road Vs. Mountain

Simon Brooke wrote:

I can't imagine 'needing' 28s, at least not for riding on tarmac. They're
huge, and will have a horrible effect on handling. 23 is enough for
anyone.

Huge? I think we are comparing skinny and super skinny. Most 28s do not
even measure 28... more like 25 (a mere inch of width).

And how do they have a horrible effect on handling? I haven't noticed
that the motorcycle riders with fat tires complain about the
handling... as they scrape their knee on the ground through the turns.
The wider contact patch will improve traction in turns... and if there
is any roughness I'd certainly feel more secure on the wider tire. They
also have lower rolling resistance... plus they protect the rim better
when hitting potholes. The only down side is a few extra grams of
weight and slightly greater aero resistance. For a heavy rider who is
just starting I see no point in going narrower than 28s.

As for the OP's original question, I think a normal road bike in the
$500-$800 range would be fine...23-25 lbs. They do not emphasize light
weight so much, so the parts tend to be pretty durable. Make sure you
get a proper fit... and like others have mentioned, get sturdy wheels
and 28mm (at least) tires.

In my experience the cheap wheels which have 32-36 spokes are not
tensioned properly from the factory. The back wheel especially is
undertensioned, which eventually leads to spokes breaking on the left
(non-drive) side. Once you get them tensioned properly, they are fine
though. So I'd advise having someone "tune" the wheels right away, if
you don't feel able to do it yourself.

Old October 8th 05, 11:08 AM
Roger Zoul

Ron Ruff wrote:
: Simon Brooke wrote:
:
: I can't imagine 'needing' 28s, at least not for riding on tarmac.
: They're huge, and will have a horrible effect on handling. 23 is
: enough for anyone.
:
: Huge? I think we are comparing skinny and super skinny. Most 28s do
: not even measure 28... more like 25 (a mere inch of width).

I have some 26s I got from Performancebike. Are they more like 23s? (no).

:

Old October 8th 05, 02:55 PM
DrLith

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
a road bike that weighed 360
pounds.

And y'all are complaining about how heavy walmart bikes are. Brings new
meaning to the phrase "rock 'n' roll"!
Old October 8th 05, 05:30 PM
Peter Cole

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message .com,
rdclark ') wrote:

I would still recommend buying a bike with sufficient tire clearance
for 28's. To need it and discover you don't have it would be
unpleasant.

I can't imagine 'needing' 28s, at least not for riding on tarmac. They're
huge, and will have a horrible effect on handling. 23 is enough for
anyone.

Skinny tires will have slightly less rolling resistance because of their
higher inflation pressure. They also have a bit less aero drag at high
speeds. Both of these effects are quite small.

I find the handling of wider tires to be slightly better because with
lower pressure they tend to hop less over road imperfections and stay in
contact better in turns (is there any other "handling" issue other than
hard cornering?).

Wider tires protect rims from road hazards -- particularly potholes.
This may be a big deal, particularly if you ride a lot in the rain
and/or dark.

The difference between 23mm and 28mm tires is not very noticeable, I
frequently switch between those sizes.
Old October 9th 05, 12:10 AM
Jasper Janssen

On 8 Oct 2005 06:33:47 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

What did you use for the wheels? 36, 40, 48? Which rim?

Jasper
Old October 9th 05, 12:32 AM
Paul Cassel

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

Bicycling Mag did an article on riders who are roughly 400 lbs (IIRC).
I've seen riders on trails near here who must be there or close.
Old October 9th 05, 08:59 AM
Peter B

"Ken Pisichko" wrote in message
Peter B wrote:

Nah, nah, nah nah..

Is this helpful or is it blatant one-upmanship?

Elaborate if you feel it is necessary, otherwise just be silent and let

others
give advice that the OP can use ;-)

Sorry Ma'am.

Old October 10th 05, 01:41 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:

I just built some wheels for a rider of a road bike that weighed 360
pounds. If the bike is proper, your weight is not a concern.

What did you use for the wheels? 36, 40, 48? Which rim?

Jasper

Velocity Dyad, 40/4cross rear, 36/3cross front, XT tandem hubset,
spaced to 135mm.

Cheat Mountain Challenge Ride Report (2005/09/25) Chris BeHanna General 0 September 30th 05 05:19 AM
Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 11 October 26th 03 05:14 AM
Braking while turning [email protected] Techniques 45 August 1st 03 06:56 PM