not remembering a crash

Old November 28th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default not remembering a crash

how many times [in the last x years] have you crashed and didn;t
remember what happened?

i;ve done it twice in 4 years

i think there was one other crash that i do remember in that period

but my question is, is that normal?

i do know that i hit my head / helmet on the road last week when i
crashed
because my head is bruised on the same side as the road rash
so that may be why..

of course.. maybe the reason i crashed was some kind of blackout that
happened first..
how would i know?
i never have them any other time but still..
makes you think..

how common is crash memory loss, after an obvious head smack?

no barbs and snipes please
serious question

wle
Old November 28th 11, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wlexx wrote:

how common is crash memory loss, after an obvious head smack?

Common. It's quite typical of concussion (mild traumatic brain
injury). Try to avoid whatever it was that led to the incident, if
you can remember what that was.

Chalo
Old November 28th 11, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 11/28/2011 1:17 PM, wrote:
how many times [in the last x years] have you crashed and didn;t
remember what happened?

i;ve done it twice in 4 years

i think there was one other crash that i do remember in that period

but my question is, is that normal?

i do know that i hit my head / helmet on the road last week when i
crashed
because my head is bruised on the same side as the road rash
so that may be why..

of course.. maybe the reason i crashed was some kind of blackout that
happened first..
how would i know?
i never have them any other time but still..
makes you think..

how common is crash memory loss, after an obvious head smack?

no barbs and snipes please
serious question

wle

I've heard of other people saying the same thing,,,, and I'm not sure I
believe it, really. I don't argue with it, but all that I have seen &
been told says that any interruption of memory only occurs after you
have been knocked unconscious.

Anecdotal evidence: I know a guy who got into a fight a few months back
and had his head stomped on so hard he suffered skull fractures. He
still remembers everything about the event--before, during and after it
happening. And he is learning-disabled (was previous to the stomping,
that is) and was on heroin and who-knows-what-else at the time.

Old November 28th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Nov 28, 1:37*pm, Chalo wrote:
wlexx wrote:

how common is crash memory loss, after an obvious head smack?

Common. *It's quite typical of concussion (mild traumatic brain
injury). *Try to avoid whatever it was that led to the incident, if
you can remember what that was.

Chalo

Concussions are pretty common in boxing and football. Lots of time
they can't remember the bout or games. Sometimes the whole day. Or a
few days before the event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome
Old November 28th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:17:59 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

how many times [in the last x years] have you crashed and didn;t
remember what happened?

Hasn't happened to me exept after heart bypass surgery. That was drug
induced and has nothing to do with your question. Still, it was
really strange. My current memory of that time is like Swiss cheeze,
with holes all over the place, with the added bonus of false memories.

Last weekend, a friends 13 year old daughter took a fall off her horse
and landed on her head. Yes, she was wearing a helmet. They sped her
to the emergency room, which declared that there was no sign of
internal bleeding or other damage. However, her ability to turn short
term memories into long term was severely impared. Every 5 minutes,
she would ask the same questions (what happened, how's my horse, where
am I, etc...). Her parents would answer, but 5 minutes later, she
would ask the same questions. She couldn't recall that she had asked
or that they had been answered. This effect went on erratically for
about 24 hrs and was fortunately gone late the next day. At this
time, she can't recall anything from the time of the accident, or what
happened for the following 24 hrs. The doctor said this is common
with mild concussions.

I'm not sure this applies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anterograde_amnesia

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 28th 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 28, 7:17*pm, " wrote:
how many times [in the last x years] have you crashed and didn;t
remember what happened?

i;ve done it twice in 4 years

i think there was one other crash that i do remember in that period

but *my question is, is that normal?

i do know that i hit my head / helmet on the road last week when i
crashed
because my head is bruised on *the same side as the road rash
so that may be why..

of course.. maybe the reason i crashed was some kind of blackout that
happened first..

Yes. Simple falls from bicycles rarely result in KO even when
sufficient to graze and bruise.

how would i know?

Brain scan.

i never have them any other time but still..
makes you think..

Exercise can bring on otherwise unknown problems with blood supply
around the brain.

how common is crash memory loss, after an obvious head smack?

If you've been KO'd it's probable there will be some memory loss The
memory around the KO may come back after some time, the next day or 6
months on.

no barbs and snipes please
serious question

wle

Old November 28th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Bradshaw

" wrote:

how common is crash memory loss, after an obvious head smack?

Can't answer for bike crashes, but I can say that concussion definitely has
this symptom, along (for me) with other weird time-censoring things, where
I clearly had been conscious, but had no memory how I got where I was:
pretty frightening.
Old November 28th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Common. *It's quite typical of concussion (mild traumatic brain
injury). *Try to avoid whatever it was that led to the incident, if
you can remember what that was.

Chalo

i forgot to say, a guy came out and said 'we lose a lot of cyclists
there.'
it;s some kind of bump but i couldn;t really see it just walking, or i
didn;t look far enough
i;m going to go back with a can of paint!

wle