Charging di2 batteries with dc power source

Old October 3rd 18, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

Default Charging di2 batteries with dc power source

Is it possible to charge an internal Di2 battery using a etube spliced to a dc battery charger with the correct dc voltage. Like to have a charged internal battery in the toolbox when I need it.
Old October 3rd 18, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/2/2018 9:06 PM, ixiz wrote:
Is it possible to charge an internal Di2 battery using a etube spliced to a dc battery charger with the correct dc voltage. Like to have a charged internal battery in the toolbox when I need it.

If the battery is just a standard 2S Li-Ion pack (3.7V x 2) then using
an 8.4V/1A Li-Ion charger, like what is used for many lights, would work.

Over 8.4V and you could have a nice explosion, though the battery pack
probably has its own over-voltage protection circuit.

Probably not a good idea to use a variable DC supply.

Old October 3rd 18, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

I’m not certain hence the question. I do know there are electronics in the battery that uses canbus for communication to other components
Old October 3rd 18, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/3/2018 4:51 AM, ixiz wrote:
I’m not certain hence the question. I do know there are electronics in the battery that uses canbus for communication to other components

The CANBUS data is modulated on the power lines, but I doubt if the
battery has a CANBUS controller inside it.

Old October 3rd 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at 10:05:45 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 10/3/2018 4:51 AM, ixiz wrote:
I’m not certain hence the question. I do know there are electronics in the battery that uses canbus for communication to other components

The CANBUS data is modulated on the power lines, but I doubt if the
battery has a CANBUS controller inside it.

I dont know much bout electronics - hence the confirmation before i damage anything

I just want to be able to have a charged internal di2 battery when i need it as a loaner or help someone that needs it when as needed - I dont have the new 6880 nor the 8050 system - i have a 6770 (10s) external battery
Old October 3rd 18, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 10/3/2018 4:51 AM, ixiz wrote:
I’m not certain hence the question. I do know there are electronics in the battery that uses canbus for communication to other components

The CANBUS data is modulated on the power lines, but I doubt if the
battery has a CANBUS controller inside it.

I dont know much bout electronics - hence the confirmation before i damage anything

I just want to be able to have a charged internal di2 battery when i need it as a loaner or help someone that needs it when as needed - I dont have the new 6880 nor the 8050 system - i have a 6770 (10s) external battery

I really don't think its worth your trouble to even investigate this topic. My 7970 Di2 battery lasts 2-3 YEARS before needing recharge. And when a recharge is necessary, it turns off the front derailleur shifting first, you can still use the rear shifter for many, many miles. Eventually both derailleurs would stop working I suppose. Having a dead Di2 battery is about as common as having a lunar and solar eclipse in a month with two full moons. And Christmas, New Years and Thanksgiving all falling in the same month too.
Old October 4th 18, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

On 10/3/2018 4:51 AM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

2-3 yrs ??? wow i come across several riders that needed a charge i just have spares i would loan or use as diagnostics on the road ut i just dont have the 11s di2 system
Old October 4th 18, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 10/3/2018 4:51 AM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

I agree. I never have to charge my Di2 batteries during the season (road and off road). Just charge once before the season and you are done. Especially on my cross bike off road a shift the crap out of the Di2 system. I don't understand the fear of people of an empty battery on their Di2 system.

Lou

Old October 4th 18, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 10/3/2018 4:51 AM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

I have the old time 7970 battery that sits below the water bottle cage on the downtube. I go 2 or 3 years between charging. Some winters I don't even bother charging it between riding seasons. Its not that I forget to charge, its that I know it doesn't need it so I don't do it. Once it did stop shifting the front derailleur while on a ride. Rear derailleur still shifted just fine. So I charged the battery when I got home. Took an hour or two. Then it was good for a couple more years of not charging. I will admit to not riding the Di2 bike every day and shifting 100+ times on every ride. Its one of many bikes in the rotation and I live where it is flat, so no shifting needed. But charging once in the off season will easily allow you to ride all year long with no charging.