A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Near Miss of the Day 490: Van driver makes close pass on cyclist intooncoming traffic

Old October 28th 20, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Near Miss of the Day 490: Van driver makes close pass on cyclist intooncoming traffic

QUOTE:
This is one of the more common types of close pass that we see, and it's one that makes you reflect on the attitude of some drivers towards road safety - not necessarily that of other people, but their own.

In the near-500 videos we have shown in our Near Miss of the Day series to date, the vast majority show a motorist putting a cyclist, and no-one else, in danger.

But now and again we feature an incident such as this one, in which the driver overtakes a cyclist despite oncoming traffic, putting the rider, the approaching driver, and of course themselves, in danger.

And all to save, what, a couple of seconds?

This one was filmed by road.cc reader Joel, who said: "Particularly special one from yesterday - marring an otherwise unblemished 90 mins of safe and courteous drivers.

"Approaching the bend, the Mercedes van inexplicably decided it was a good point to overtake despite the oncoming car already being clearly visible to me and therefore presumably to him as well - but even if not, it would have been clear that there was every likelihood of something coming round the corner.

"Inevitably, despite squeezing horribly close to me, his huge vehicle still obstructed the opposing lane and the oncoming driver was forced to come to a complete stop.

"I was also forced to hit the brakes as he lurched back in, barely missing the now stationary car - the driver of which gave me a pained look - so I did indicate the camera to him, so hopefully he will at least be aware that the van driver can expect to be brought up on this one, assuming that Warwickshire police do anything with the report I submitted as soon as I got back."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...traffic-278297
Ads
Old October 28th 20, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Near Miss of the Day 490: Van driver makes close pass on cyclistinto oncoming traffic

On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 11:52:45 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:

qwerty360 | 18 posts | 4 hours ago
6 likes

How is a driver supposed to predict overtaking here might be dangerous...

There are only 3 signs to slow down for the tight bend, then 2 more and a slow marking on the road... Way to little for the poor struggling stressed motorist to predict overtaking here might be dangerous...

/sarcasm

reply quote

brooksby | 6565 posts | 5 hours ago
1 like

MGIF MGIF MGIF MGIF MGIF - oh, a car! - MGIF MGIF MGIF MGIF

reply quote

andystow | 37 posts | 13 hours ago
2 likes

That is atrocious! Definitely the worst we've seen here in a while, and that's saying a lot.

There was a far better opportunity to pass right after.

reply quote

Milkfloat | 120 posts | 18 hours ago
3 likes

Warwickshire Police doing something, I don't think so.

reply quote

NZ Vegan Rider | 260 posts | 18 hours ago
2 likes

Idiotic dangerous driving.

I hope the Police follow up on this. The other driver should've made a complaint too.

reply quote

hirsute | 2575 posts | 19 hours ago
4 likes

Obviously fake footage. No way would a range rover driver hold back like that !

reply quote

HoarseMann replied to hirsute | 600 posts | 3 hours ago
0 likes

That's because it was a little landrover - and they did exactly as expected; hesitate when it's safe to pass and wait for a more risky opportunity across the mouth of a junction.

reply quote

https://road.cc/content/news/near-mi...traffic-278297