stuck plastic bottom bracket cup

Old May 6th 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raging raven

Default stuck plastic bottom bracket cup

I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of
the unit is stuck. Do people glue these plastic cups in? Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?
Cheers
Old May 6th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

raging raven wrote:
I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of
the unit is stuck. Do people glue these plastic cups in? Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?
Cheers

When I want to remove a cup from a unit like this, I use a stack of
large washers piled around the axle against the BB shell of the frame.
Then I put on a crank fixing bolt and tighten. With the washers in
place, the BB axle is pulled toward the fixing bolt and out of the cup.
I have never had to do this on a left side cup though.
Old May 6th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

raging raven wrote:
I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool.

Yipes! I must have misunderstood! Did you say that the /plastic/ cup
is removing /metal/ from the BB tool? The tool does mate to the cup
rather than the frame, yes?

-Mark J.

Old May 6th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 6 May, 18:23, raging raven wrote:
I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. *The left side is thoroughly stuck;

You mean the side without the chain?

even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. *The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of
the unit is stuck. *Do people glue these plastic cups in?

Sometimes.

*Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?

Try getting some boiling water in and over the bottom bracket , if its
stuck with normal epoxy, this should release it.

Cheers

Old May 6th 10, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raging raven

On May 6, 11:50*am, "Mark J." wrote:
raging raven wrote:
I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. *The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. *

Yipes! *I must have misunderstood! *Did you say that the /plastic/ cup
is removing /metal/ from the BB tool? *The tool does mate to the cup
rather than the frame, yes?

-Mark J.

The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of

the unit is stuck. *Do people glue these plastic cups in? *Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?
Cheers

Indeed, it is a standard splined park tool that interfaces with
notches in the plastic cup. The leverage on tool rotated it out of
the cup, rounding some of the corners of the splines on the tool and
leaving small metal fragments behind. Before the breaker bar, I tried
a longer beam type torque wrench that maxed out (90 NM) without any
movement what so ever.
Old May 6th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
di

"raging raven" wrote in message
I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of
the unit is stuck. Do people glue these plastic cups in? Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?
Cheers

Are sure you are turning it the right direction?

Old May 6th 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raging raven

On May 6, 2:45*pm, "DI" wrote:
"raging raven" wrote in message

I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. *The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. *The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of
the unit is stuck. *Do people glue these plastic cups in? *Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?
Cheers

Are sure you are turning it the right direction?

I am turning it the correct direction, and I double checked my rights
and lefts too
Old May 7th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

raging raven wrote:
I am having great trouble with a shimano sealed cartridge bottom
bracket cup. The left side is thoroughly stuck; even using a 2 foot
breaker bar only succeeded in removing some metal from the teeth of
the bb tool. The right side comes out just fine, but the remainder of
the unit is stuck. Do people glue these plastic cups in? Can I bash
the axle from the left side to drive out the cartridge and then
somehow destructively remove the left hand cup?

If you do not have a Tacx tool which mounts securely to the
spindle, stop now.
Buy a Tacx T4415.
A penetrant shot copiously down the seat tube while you're
out buying the tool may help.

Mount the Tacx tool in a vise and turn the frame.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/