Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Old November 5th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Steve Sr.

Default Durability Of Velocity Aerohead Rims In 20/24 Hole Drillings.

Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 5th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
AMuzi

Steve Sr. wrote:
I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

20/24 is in the 'not enough spokes' range generally but
given the hubs, yes, Aeroheads are your best choice in a
light clincher rim. 110Kg, even and round for best results.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 5th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

On Nov 5, 10:37*am, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

I weigh about the same, but weight is not the only concern. What
condition are the roads like where you ride? Are you gentle on the
wheels? Do you lift (bunny hop) the bike over rough spots, like
railway crossings and pot holes?

JS.
Old November 5th 10, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Ed[_8_]

On Nov 4, 6:37*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

Thanks,

Steve

Why not the velocity A23 on the front? It weighs 1 gram more. But

"New for 2010! The A23 rim is based off our proven Aerohead race
rim. With a wider footprint, the A23 allows for a more aerodynamic
rim/tire combination when paired with a 23c tire. The tire profile
mimics the characteristics of a tubular, gaining increased control and
lower rolling resistance.."

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=746
Old November 5th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

On Nov 4, 4:59*pm, Ed wrote:
On Nov 4, 6:37*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=746- Hide quoted text -

Did they beef up the Aerohead -- it shows on the website as 425g, but
I remember it at closer to 400g. Peter White has it at 405g.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

I think my next set of commuter/snow wheels will be the Synergy and
Synergy OC. -- Jay Beattie.
Old November 5th 10, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.a...entID=746-Hide quoted text -

Did they beef up the Aerohead -- it shows on the website as 425g, but
I remember it at closer to 400g. Peter White has it at 405g.http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

I think my next set of commuter/snow wheels will be the Synergy and
Synergy OC. *-- Jay Beattie.

Fulcrum Racing series are fairly well regarded and from casual
observation and feedback from cycle shop employees, appear to be quite
robust and light.

JS.
Old November 5th 10, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
James Jordan

I have a set of Areoheads based on a set of Dura Ace hubs with the
18/24 combination.

Great wheels if you consider them race day only. I normally use them
for Criterium racing and longer/hillier sportifs.

I have had a couple of problems though, usted the rear rim hitting a
pothole and have just recently replaced the front due to cracking
around the nipples.

Considering the front was 2 years old and had not even needed a truing
during this time leads me to think I hit something but did not notice
it at the time.

James
Old November 5th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Steve Freides[_2_]

James wrote:
On Nov 5, 10:37 am, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

I weigh about the same, but weight is not the only concern. What
condition are the roads like where you ride? Are you gentle on the
wheels? Do you lift (bunny hop) the bike over rough spots, like
railway crossings and pot holes?

JS.

+1

I remember using a relatively light, single bike wheel on the front of
our tandem for a while, and patting myself on the proverbial back that I
had no problems. But that was only until I had occasion to ride it
across a grass field at a local park. Even though I was by myself on
the bike, it popped a spoke after a minute or two.

How you ride really makes a difference. On the roads, I'm a light,
easy-on-gear, rider, but all it takes is one unexpected pothole to cause
enough stress to your wheels to make them fail. Your bodyweight is only
one consideration.

-S-

Old November 5th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
landotter

On Nov 4, 6:37*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

Did you check the tension on them? Alex rims are made from a strong
alloy. Tension that's enough to crack them is enough to destroy most
other similar rims, regardless of brand.

Old November 5th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Chalo

Steve Sr. wrote:

Hello,

I am considering rebuilding a set of wheels that had Alex 20/24 hole
rims. They went about 5K miles before the spokes started to pull
thorough the rims.

I am considering using these hubs and Velocity Aerohead and Aerohead
O/C rims but am wondering about the durability because of my previous
experience with the Alex rims.

I currently have a set of these Velocity rims but in 32 hole
configuration that have been flawless for the past 10K miles.

BTW, I only weigh about 160 pounds.

Assuming Velocity rims, 700c wheels, and 20/24 spoke lacing (the
latter being your fundamental mistake):

Aerohead/Aerohead OC would be appropriate for a child or a child-sized
woman.

Fusion would be OK for a lightweight adult male (like yourself) if
he's a careful rider.

Deep V would serve an average sized American man.

For an above average size man, a B43 in the rear would be a good
idea.

The Dyad and Chukker would appear in these recommendations, but they
are not available in 20h or 24h drilling. You give up a lot when you
subtract a dozen spokes from the time-proven formula for a reliable
wheel.

Chalo