recumbent fixies?

Old August 13th 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected][_2_]

Default recumbent fixies?

Hello fellow cyclists,

Has anybody here know, or have heard, of somebody who rides a fixed
gear recumbent?

Cullen

Old August 13th 07, 07:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_2_]

Actually, I saw on their site that Schlumpf makes a unicycle hub. Here is a
link to the unicycle hub:
http://schlumpfdrive.com/?schlumpfdrive:home:welcome.

Now that that is out of the way, I don't remember seeing anything about
someone riding a 'bent fixie, either here or on a couple of the other bent
fora I frequent. Seems like it would be easiest to do on a recumbent trike,
but can't imagine why someone would want to.

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Hello fellow cyclists,

Has anybody here know, or have heard, of somebody who rides a fixed
gear recumbent?

Well, I imagine that the 'bent unicycle (yes, there really is such a
beast!) would have had to have been...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 15th 07, 12:49 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_669_]

(not Tom) Keats wrote:

If you just have to have a recumbent fixie make sure you are a flatlander.

I did a club ride in Champaign County, Illinois on my RANS Rocket where
I only used the middle chainring and three (3) gears in back. From this
experience, a recumbent fixie would be usable in such conditions.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition"

Old August 15th 07, 08:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

gotbent wrote:
Actually, I saw on their site that Schlumpf makes a unicycle hub. Here is a
link to the unicycle hub:
http://schlumpfdrive.com/?schlumpfdrive:home:welcome.

There is (or at least was) a demo machine at Kinetics, my usual
'bentmonger and Schlumpf stockist, and I've ridden it. I couldn't
change gear on the move and it took a while to get used to it in
overdrive (I'm used to a 26" wheel Muni, and the freemount resistance
needed for that, but with an effective 40" wheel I kept on not pushing
on enough to start and dropped straight back off), but once I did it was
great fun, getting a respectable turn of speed for the first time in my
unicycling career.

If I had a spare ~£700 lying baout I'd like one, but I don't... :-(

Pete.
Old August 25th 07, 02:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
:: (not Tom) Keats wrote:
:::
::: If you just have to have a recumbent fixie make sure you are a
::: flatlander.
::
:: I did a club ride in Champaign County, Illinois on my RANS Rocket
:: where I only used the middle chainring and three (3) gears in back.
:: From this experience, a recumbent fixie would be usable in such
:: conditions.

There's certainly some terrain for which a 'bent fixie will work. However,
IMO, on more general terrain a 'bent fixie is just going to result in a more
difficult riding experience. For those that are into that sort of thing, one
can certainly just decide you use one gear setting and be willing to live
with the extra weight.

trendy fixies in NYT Bill Westphal Techniques 48 May 4th 07 02:56 AM
Fixies are really going to passe soon! PiledHigher Australia 8 August 10th 06 02:21 PM
Six Fixies Gags Australia 3 February 3rd 06 12:04 AM
just curious: fixies DD Recumbent Biking 2 January 8th 06 07:59 PM
The haters are onto Fixies! PiledHigher Australia 13 October 14th 05 03:25 AM