Getting a punture help please

Old September 30th 05, 05:49 AM
Tim Green

Default Getting a punture help please

Hello group, I am new to the wonderful world of cycling, and I have bought
myself a fairly good road bike.

Ok I wanted to ask about the procedure for repairing a flat tire.

Ok might sound like a silly question to your seasoned pro's, in which
removing a rear wheel and fixing a flat, and puting the wheel back on is
like putting butter on your toast, but I have to admit, it scares the living
daylights out of me to think that I may get a flat tyre 50k's from home.

Please give me a easy step by step guide to removing and fixing a rear flat,
and putting the wheel back on.

When I have removed the rear wheel in the past, the chain drops down, and I
have absolutely no idea on how to put that darn wheel back on, so please
tell me how you guys and gals do it.

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but it really puts a dampner on my ride if I have
to worry about this always in the back of my head.

Cheers,
Tim

Old September 30th 05, 05:59 AM
Joel Mayes

Tim Green wrote:
Hello group, I am new to the wonderful world of cycling, and I have bought
myself a fairly good road bike.

Ok I wanted to ask about the procedure for repairing a flat tire.

SNIP

G'day Tim;

I'll direct you to one of the most useful cycle relateed websites there is

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

Cheers

Joel
Old September 30th 05, 06:29 AM
endroll

Joel Mayes Wrote:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

Cheers

Joel

and most importantly practice before you get 50km away from home - try
it at home - hopefully u have quick release front and rear!

--
endroll

Old September 30th 05, 06:31 AM
David M

"Carry a spare tube as well as your tools and puncture kit" is good
advice. I never repair them out on the road, as there is no need to
when you can do it "properly" back at home in front of the telly. Fit
new tube, fold up old one and take it with me....

One thing that's of great help is to check your rims and there will be
"rim tape" lining them so the spoke-ends don;t damage the tyres. Often
factory bikes come with black rubber rim tape which shifts and allows
the tubes to be damaged - you should replace this on day 1 with
"proper" rim tapes which your bike shop can sell you.

Another thing is to replace your tyres with some that have some kind of
puncture resistant kevlar/polyaramide/whatever belt in their
construction...using such tyres I almost never get punctures. Maybe
your bike already has such tyres - check the brand of tyre on the
internet to see what the manufacturer says...

And finally, the better you can get at levering the tyre on and off the
rims using your thumbs rather than the levers, the easier you'll find
it to change tubes without generating additional punctures.

Cheers
David M

Old September 30th 05, 06:46 AM
DaveB

David M wrote:
And finally, the better you can get at levering the tyre on and off the
rims using your thumbs rather than the levers, the easier you'll find
it to change tubes without generating additional punctures.

I got so used to doing this I stopped carrying tyre levers. Luckily the
first puncture I got on the new bike occurred at home. There was no way
that tyre was coming off the wheel for the first time just using my thumbs.

DaveB
Old September 30th 05, 06:46 AM
alison_b

[snipping lots of good advice]

... and, check your bike pump occasionally. Getting stuck along the
Midland Highway because the pump that has been so faithfully carried
around for years has died somewhere along the way is a bit
disappointing.

happy riding!
ali

--
alison_b

Old September 30th 05, 06:56 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-09-30, Joel Mayes wrote:
I'll direct you to one of the most useful cycle relateed websites there is

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

One essential tool he doesn't mention: pliers (or tweezers). I got a
flat not all that long ago; the cause was a thin bit of wire, about a
half centimetre long. No way was I getting it out of the tyre with just
my hands, but with pliers, it was an absolute breeze.

Old September 30th 05, 06:58 AM
Euan

"dtmeister" == dtmeister writes:

dtmeister Joel Mayes wrote:
Tim Green wrote:
Hello group, I am new to the wonderful world of cycling, and I
have bought myself a fairly good road bike.

Ok I wanted to ask about the procedure for repairing a flat
tire.

SNIP

G'day Tim;

I'll direct you to one of the most useful cycle relateed websites
there is

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

dtmeister And after reading that, actually pretend you have a
dtmeister puncture and go through the motions of fixing it. You'll
dtmeister be glad you did when you have a real one 50km from home -
dtmeister instead of taking you 30 or 40 minutes, it'll take you
dtmeister more like 15. Carry a spare tube as well as your tools
dtmeister and puncture kit.

Amen to that. When if came back to cycling I did just that and boy was
I glad. The multi-tool I'd bought was supposed to double up as tyre
levers. Didn't take me much time at all to snap both of them.

My practice run threw up a deficiency in my tools which is irritating
but not as irritating as being 10k from the nearest train station in the
****ing rain and the bicycle ambulance at least 40 minutes away.
Practice practice practice and punctures won't hold you in fear any
more.

I don't repair the tube on the spot, I fit a fresh one and repair the
damaged one at my destination.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old September 30th 05, 07:23 AM
Euan

"alison" == alison b alison_b writes:

alison .. and, check your bike pump occasionally. Getting stuck
alison along the Midland Highway because the pump that has been so
alison faithfully carried around for years has died somewhere along
alison the way is a bit disappointing.

Heh, one of my less stellar moments was walking out to a flat tire.
Changed etc etc then put my trusty Topeak Road Morph on and pumped and

Nothing.

Not a breath of air going in to the tube.

It took me ten rather panic filled minutes to figure out that the base
of the pump had unscrewed a bit. Two twists later and the pump was as
good as new.

Did I feel stupid :-p
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old September 30th 05, 07:33 AM
MikeyOz

Joel Mayes Wrote:
Tim Green wrote:
Hello group, I am new to the wonderful world of cycling, and I have

bought
myself a fairly good road bike.

Ok I wanted to ask about the procedure for repairing a flat tire.

SNIP

G'day Tim;

I'll direct you to one of the most useful cycle relateed websites there
is

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

Cheers

Joel

I read over that site... and did not pay much heed to tyre
pressure..... I reckon the number 1 way to avoid punctures, is too make
sure tyres are properly inflated.... a good hard/high pressure......

--
MikeyOz

Punture Proofing which is best method Ghandi Australia 8 September 19th 05 04:43 AM
Newbie Bike Question Sean Rooney UK 19 April 2nd 05 04:54 PM
Looking for punture proof tyres? Davidm Australia 1 March 21st 05 09:12 PM
Punture proofing johnnie Australia 16 March 14th 05 12:24 PM
Punture proof tyres Ben Australia 20 January 24th 05 12:25 PM