Built in mirror Helmet help.

Old October 18th 03, 05:11 PM
Johann S.

Default Built in mirror Helmet help.

http://www.reevusa.co.za/

I would appreciate it if anybody had some comments on this product.
Seems pretty cool to me. I don't wear a helmet at the moment, but I am
thinking about it.

This is a helmet with a built in rear view mirror. Anybody with
experience using them?

Thanks.
--

QUIPd 1.02: (407 of 664)
- E-mail returned to sender: Insufficient voltage.
Old October 18th 03, 06:38 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Johann S." writes:

http://www.reevusa.co.za/

I would appreciate it if anybody had some comments on this product.
Seems pretty cool to me. I don't wear a helmet at the moment, but I am
thinking about it.

This is a helmet with a built in rear view mirror. Anybody with
experience using them?

I don't have any experience with them, but if that's
the doo-dad with the built-in periscope, and I was
considering obtaining it (and the expense), I'd ask
myself what it can do, that the 2 eyes and flexible
neck I already have, can't. And then I'd consider
all the fallibilities of mirrors in general -- dim
image, and size/distance distortions. IOW, personally,
I think it's ultimately just an expensive mirror.

And I guess my feelings are on record here, about
over/continuing technologization of bicycling. That
said, I'll admit to my having had occasional, passing
(and lasting, in the case of computers) intriguements
with newfangled jim-dandy gadgetry. I'll also admit
to having a simple handlebar mirror of which I
sometimes make use.

So, if you want one, by all means get one, for your own
enjoyment. The Heads Up Display aspect /is/ somewhat
ingriguing. But I wouldn't count on it revolutionizing
cycling.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 18th 03, 08:07 PM
Johann S.

Tom Keats Said:

In article ,
"Johann S." writes:

http://www.reevusa.co.za/

This is a helmet with a built in rear view mirror. Anybody with
experience using them?

So, if you want one, by all means get one, for your own
enjoyment. The Heads Up Display aspect /is/ somewhat
ingriguing. But I wouldn't count on it revolutionizing
cycling.

Thanks for your info. I'll buy one, but first i'd like to see the
quality of the image one sees in the mirror. Problem is, where to get
hold of one around here.

If I buy one, I'll report my impressions back here.

--

QUIPd 1.02: (84 of 664)
- "So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
Old October 19th 03, 02:12 AM
Steve Knight

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:07:34 +0200, "Johann S." wrote:

Thanks for your info. I'll buy one, but first i'd like to see the
quality of the image one sees in the mirror. Problem is, where to get
hold of one around here.

yes I like the idea. I bet it is better then the mirror I have attached to my
helmet. but even that the image is pretty good.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 19th 03, 03:21 AM
Bernie

Steve Knight wrote:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:07:34 +0200, "Johann S." wrote:

Thanks for your info. I'll buy one, but first i'd like to see the
quality of the image one sees in the mirror. Problem is, where to get
hold of one around here.

yes I like the idea. I bet it is better then the mirror I have attached to my
helmet. but even that the image is pretty good.

No mirrors for me! I'm still surprised by the quality of the image I
see in the bathroom mirror every morning.
Shoulder checks work. Drivers notice when you are checking and very
often assume you are about to move to the left. (North American
protocols here) , and pull back a bit so you can make your move.
Best regards, Bernie

Old October 19th 03, 05:57 PM
Steve Knight

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:52 -0700, Bernie wrote:

No mirrors for me! I'm still surprised by the quality of the image I
see in the bathroom mirror every morning.
Shoulder checks work. Drivers notice when you are checking and very
often assume you are about to move to the left. (North American
protocols here) , and pull back a bit so you can make your move.
Best regards, Bernie

with my glasses and all I can't turn enough to see clearly. also with this
racing bike I tend to swerve when I do.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 19th 03, 06:44 PM
MP

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:52 -0700, Bernie wrote:

(snip)
No mirrors for me! I'm still surprised by the quality of the image I
see in the bathroom mirror every morning.
Shoulder checks work. Drivers notice when you are checking and very
often assume you are about to move to the left. (North American
protocols here) , and pull back a bit so you can make your move.

It doesn't have to be just one or the other. Bike mirrors have blind
spots just like car mirrors, so it is still necessary to do the
occasional shoulder check. I always do it before turning or changing
lanes, and occasionally at other times.

Still, I find my eyeglass mounted mirror very useful for keeping track
of what's behind me, and I rarely ride without it.

MP

Old October 19th 03, 08:31 PM
Bernie

Steve Knight wrote:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:52 -0700, Bernie wrote:

Shoulder checks work. Drivers notice when you are checking and very
often assume you are about to move to the left. (North American
protocols here) , and pull back a bit so you can make your move.
Best regards, Bernie

with my glasses and all I can't turn enough to see clearly. also with this
racing bike I tend to swerve when I do.

Well, I confess to having vision issues too. L eye is very nearsighted,
R eye is very farsighted, a little astygmatism (you spell it!) and these
damn 'progressive' lenses.
Even so, it is a learned skill to shoulder check safely. "Safely"
meaning while keeping a straight line of forward motion. I think I
learned to shoulder check by doing the look back rather slowly and
carefully, versus quickly. That way you do it without anxiety and no
jerky motion. It's like most learned moves: first you get good, then
you get fast.
I know racing bikes are pretty twitchy, it's probably easiest to do with
your hands on the hoods?
Bernie

Old October 19th 03, 08:38 PM
Bernie

MP wrote:

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:21:52 -0700, Bernie wrote:

(snip)

No mirrors for me! I'm still surprised by the quality of the image I
see in the bathroom mirror every morning.
Shoulder checks work. Drivers notice when you are checking and very
often assume you are about to move to the left. (North American
protocols here) , and pull back a bit so you can make your move.

It doesn't have to be just one or the other. Bike mirrors have blind
spots just like car mirrors, so it is still necessary to do the
occasional shoulder check. I always do it before turning or changing
lanes, and occasionally at other times.

Still, I find my eyeglass mounted mirror very useful for keeping track
of what's behind me, and I rarely ride without it.

MP

No problem here! I know there are pluses to mirrors. I just don't use
one. With luck, this won't turn into a mirror war!
Bernie

Old October 20th 03, 03:39 AM
Steve Knight

I know racing bikes are pretty twitchy, it's probably easiest to do with
your hands on the hoods?
Bernie

I can't seem to get turned enough to get my glasses into play. so the mirror is
great. but I still make sure if I am not positive.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes