I BUY YOUR BIKE

Old July 26th 05, 05:34 PM
flo girbache

Default I BUY YOUR BIKE

Good day,
i found this bike advert. I need to know if really it's still for
sale,the last asking price for it and the current condition..Please let me
know your method of payment.I preffer paying via a cashier's check. Is this
your personal property? In terms of shipping i have an international
shipping agent that takes good care of my goods, he will be coming for the
pickup in your location.Let me know whats on your mind concerning this
enquiry..
Thanks.
Sam.

Old July 26th 05, 06:12 PM
MattB

flo girbache wrote:
Good day,
i found this bike advert. I need to know if really it's still for
sale,the last asking price for it and the current condition..Please let me
know your method of payment.I preffer paying via a cashier's check. Is this
your personal property? In terms of shipping i have an international
shipping agent that takes good care of my goods, he will be coming for the
pickup in your location.Let me know whats on your mind concerning this
enquiry..
Thanks.
Sam.

I think this must be an example of a scammer email. Thanks for the
head's up!

My wife got one just like this when posting a bike for sale recently. He
went on to ask if he could use a different payment method than specified
in the ad (I think he wanted to use his own home-made cashier's check).
When we said he could buy the bike, but had to use the specified method
of payment, he suddenly stopped emailing us. Crazy, eh?

Matt
Old July 26th 05, 06:28 PM
Bill Sornson

http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

I think this must be an example of a scammer email. Thanks for the
head's up!

My wife got one just like this when posting a bike for sale recently.
He went on to ask if he could use a different payment method than
specified in the ad (I think he wanted to use his own home-made
cashier's check). When we said he could buy the bike, but had to use
the specified method of payment, he suddenly stopped emailing us.
Crazy, eh?

Crazy like a weasel!

:-D

Old July 26th 05, 07:11 PM
Jim Dwyer

This idiot replied to the group instead of the individual. This is a scam
and it has happened to me countless times. It is so lame that it is easy to
recgonize. They pay you with a cashiers cheque for double to triple the
asking amount and as soon as you cash the cheque you western union the
excess cash back to the individual. Of course no one ever comes to pick up
you bike and the cheque bounces. It is fun to play along and collect the
cashiers cheques that they send you!

Jim

Old July 26th 05, 07:19 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:12:24 -0600, MattB
wrote:

flo girbache wrote:
[...]

I get about three or four fraud-intent whoesale inquiries a month for
the stuff on my website, and it's easy enough to spot them. My
suppliers get even more of these than I do, by at least two orders of
magnitude. In fact, my primary shirt supplier gets so many that he
often has one while I'm there picking up an order.

International fraud is at an all-time high. Cheap communications have
made it possible; gullibility, stupidity and ignorance make it
profitable, lack of enforcement in the originating nations makes it
quite safe for the perps, and greed drives *both* ends of the scam in
many cases.

(Bogus international cashier's checks have become enough of a problem
here in Houston that most banks will refuse to credit a deposit of one
until they have verified that the check has not only been confirmed by
the issuing bank, but that the issuing institution has physically
received it and the funds have been irrevocably transferred. Domestic
cashier's checks are met with nearly as much caution.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old July 26th 05, 11:43 PM
GWood

On a related but OT thread.....

Probably 75% of the 100 or so emails I get per day are ads for various off
shore pharmacies, software, knock-off watches and the like. Lots are now
trying to peddle me goods in Russian text, so I don't even know what they're
trying to sell me.

I have set up dozens of email filter rules via Outlook, so most get routed
to the bit bucket on the way in. Interesting that the spammers will go to
the effort of trying to mask the text in their mails (i.e. substituting "1"
for "i" and similar pattern matching) to try to fool the email filters. As
if someone (or company) who deliberately filters the original trash will
actually change their minds when the doctored email gets through the filter?

I'll be one happy guy when the big hand starts to slap these guys. What a
waste of oxygen.

Old July 26th 05, 11:55 PM
MattB

GWood wrote:
On a related but OT thread.....

Probably 75% of the 100 or so emails I get per day are ads for various off
shore pharmacies, software, knock-off watches and the like. Lots are now
trying to peddle me goods in Russian text, so I don't even know what they're
trying to sell me.

I have set up dozens of email filter rules via Outlook, so most get routed
to the bit bucket on the way in. Interesting that the spammers will go to
the effort of trying to mask the text in their mails (i.e. substituting "1"
for "i" and similar pattern matching) to try to fool the email filters. As
if someone (or company) who deliberately filters the original trash will
actually change their minds when the doctored email gets through the filter?

It must work on someone or they would just dry up for lack of business.
I'm amazed when I think about that. Even if it was something I really
wanted, I would not respond to spam (in a serious way) for anything. I'd
try to buy from a non-spamming competitor.

I'll be one happy guy when the big hand starts to slap these guys. What a
waste of oxygen.

I'm not holding my breath. Most of these come from places where the
authorities have much bigger fish to fry.

Matt
Old July 27th 05, 12:34 AM

I had an ad up on The Hostel Shoppe's classifieds last month, and must
have recieved thirty emails like that, and not one legit response. I
started playing along, then when I would ask them if the rest of the
"sale" would progress like: (insert balance of scam text needed for
continuity), and then watch them disappear. I had one try and tell me
that he was a religious man, etc., and when I started to explain about
how claiming to be "religous" was one of the world's oldest
rationalizations to do harm to your fellow man, he actually responded
back as if hurt by this accusation. When I explained that I forwarded
all scam attempts to the FBI, he oddly enough, disappeared as well.
The Hostel Shoppe actually closed down their classified section on the
website for now, as so much of this email scamming has been attempted.

If it sounds to good to be true, it isn't.

John

Old July 27th 05, 01:45 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:55:38 -0600, MattB wrote:

It must work on someone or they would just dry up for lack of business.
I'm amazed when I think about that. Even if it was something I really
wanted, I would not respond to spam (in a serious way) for anything. I'd
try to buy from a non-spamming competitor.

They only have to have a response rate of one in a million to be
profitable -- a bit more than that for the ones that hire professional
spammers, cause those tend to cost a buck per 1000-10000 spams.

Jasper

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Rides 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM