Powder Coating Cost

Old March 16th 05, 06:39 AM
thayr

Default Powder Coating Cost

What is a resonable price of having your uni powder coated a single
color?

--
thayr - One Wheel
thayr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8957

Old March 16th 05, 07:23 AM
Ed Hansen

I got my new 24 inch KH frame, both bearing holders, and all 4 pieces of
the brake holders (I hope to someday put on a magura brake) powder
coated for $45 dollars. Had I not got the brake holders done it would
have only cost $35. Pretty good deal for 3 coats. The purple coat,
the flake coat, and the clear coat. Cooked between each coat. I plan
to get all my future frames coated here as well, maybe even a old one or
two.

By using powders and flake that they had left over from other bigger
jobs, I was able to get the low price. If I special ordered the color I
REALLY wanted, It would have probably doble the price, maybe more.

I recommend going in person with the frame, not calling..... They are
used to big car parts, so a small frame doesn't take them much
time/resourses at all compaitive to their usually jobs.

--
Ed Hansen - You know you want to be me.

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
(Edward Abbey)
Ed Hansen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6013

Old March 16th 05, 08:18 PM
bugman

Everything Ed said is what I found to be true when I had my Summit
blasted and coated. If you use a color they have left over, your
basicly paying for their time. If it is a single coat color you can get
it for as little as $25. I paid a little more for 2 coats. One was
silver and the other red. This gave a "Candy Apple red effect.
[image:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums...e_Red_Uni.jpg]

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

-"Worried about rising sea levels? Move into the hills! I might be a
hillbilly but when you're drinking sal****er in the 2nd floor of your
beach condo, my mullet will be drier than a can of Skoal left open on a
sunny day."- - maestro8

-"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."- -
Albert Einstein

Old March 16th 05, 11:17 PM
weissnp

Where did you guys go to get yours done. Was it just a regular autobody
shop, or some place different. I looking to get my uni powder coated
and was wondering where to take it.

--
weissnp - Look mom no hands!
weissnp's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9347

Old March 16th 05, 11:52 PM
bugman

I went to a local powder coating shop. That's all they do. I actually
found them online, but they are less than 2 miles from my house.
http://www.millerpowdercoating.com

Old March 17th 05, 08:48 AM
Ed Hansen

Just look up "Powder Coating" in the phone book.

I found mine by driving around the industrial area by the airport a few
years ago kept it in mind, knowing that someday it would be helpful....
I was right. A powder coat shop only does powder coating. Car stuff
is their bread-n-butter, but they do lots more too. crafts and
sculpture, outdoor furniture and who knows what else. Anything you
want inpervious to moisture, grease, air.