Hot nipples (wheel truing)

Old February 11th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Hot nipples (wheel truing)

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 12:32:40 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 18:47:18 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

How many here have ridden an Ingo?
My hand is raised. (Riding one is a heck of a workout!)

Not me. However, I did attempt to ride an AquaSkipper (Wave Runner),
and failed miserably:
http://human-powered-hydrofoils.com/hydrofoils/aquaskipper/
https://www.google.com/search?q=aquaskipper

Yes, that looks at least as strenuous as the Ingo.

I think one often unrecognized source of a bicycle's efficiency (in terms of energy used per mile) is that a typical bicyclist is not constantly and repeatedly lifting his own mass. One's pelvis and hence his center of gravity maintains a constant elevation, perched on the saddle.

By contrast, walking, running or even standing to pedal (as on a steep hill) moves one's mass up and down. That takes a lot of effort. The Ingo and the AquaSkipper seem to do that even more.

Related: I do some work at two different houses, both of which have workshops and tool storage at basement level. I'm very much aware that if I'm (say) doing some work on the top floor and I forgot to grab the right screwdriver from the basement, the work I do isn't just carrying the screwdriver up two flights of stairs. Instead, it's carrying the screwdriver plus my body weight.

Further related: That's why I occasionally talk about "bike+rider" weight here.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 11th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 09:03:48 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

:-) Try riding a bicycle , oh say, 10 ,miles - just a morning trip to
the shops and home again. Then try walking 10 miles :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 12th 20, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Pozharski

with John B wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 21:11:06 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:
On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 6:13:51 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 15:58:52 -0800 (PST), pH wrote:
On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 12:46:15 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/8/2020 1:00 PM, pH wrote:

*SKIP*
Comment to John: We've all heard about the soldier going on the
shooting rampage. Hope that you guys live no where near where it
happened. What terrible news.

*SKIP*
Two guys posted remarks on the web in imitation of those posted by the
shooter and the police arrested them and charged them with violating
the Computer Crime Act, violating Section 392 of the Criminal Code by
causing public fear, which is punishable by one month's jail and/or a
fine of up to 10,000 baht. One of them also lost his job after being
fired by his boss for showing disrespect to the families of victims
killed in the mass shooting.

Applause. Natural selection is overdue.

Old February 14th 20, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 6:58:54 PM UTC-5, pH wrote:

It was some sort of blue gunk in a small 'vaseline' style container that had an ammonia
odor to it and dried to a powdery solid. I forget what it's called w/o going out to my garage.

Likely a thread-locking compound, loctite 242 or something similar. SOP for production mechanical assembly where the part may need to be disassembled.

https://tdsna.henkel.com/americas/na/adhesives/hnauttds.nsf/web/4F5DE4CF912A71D7882571870000D60D/$File/242-EN.pdf

Truing a wheel Geoff Lock[_2_] Australia 22 December 14th 10 02:50 AM
help truing new wheel [email protected] Techniques 31 September 9th 08 08:43 PM
Wheel truing 101? Mamba Mountain Biking 7 April 17th 07 10:26 PM
truing a wheel uni4life_13 Unicycling 11 November 23rd 06 07:10 AM
almost frozen nipples on old wheel - typical solution Woogoogle Techniques 32 October 16th 04 04:48 PM