Fun with exponents

Old June 13th 20, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Fun with exponents

On Friday, 12 June 2020 23:57:43 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
I fix the switches by
cutting them out and twisting the stripped wires together. SnippedChinese junk just isn't what it used to be!

- Frank Krygowski

That's NOT fixing the switch! It's removing it or bypassing it. Come on man, It's a TECHNICAL newsgroup! You have to use precise terminology here. LOL VBEG

Cheers

Old June 13th 20, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, 12 June 2020 23:57:43 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
I fix the switches by
cutting them out and twisting the stripped wires together.Snipped
- Frank Krygowski

Where did my post go?

That's not fixing a switch! It's removing it or bypassing it. Come on man! This is a TECHNICAL newsgroup! You have to use precise terminology here! LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old June 13th 20, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

news18 wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 19:34:49 +0000, Ralph Barone wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2020 12:05 AM, news18 wrote:

Bike content;who was that bicycle rider thaty roamed USA with solar
panels on a two wheel trailer. He had computing witha solaris system,
input by a three() key system and when has had surplus power, he could
do CB?

This guy:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/heavies...ever-behemoth/

His entire setup could be reasonably reduced to an iPhone, a Bluetooth
headset and a hub generator today.

The challenge was doing it with the technology of the day and he did it,
although I think he suffered greatly from gear acculmulation sydnrome.

Well, with a 500+ lb bike, he certainly wasn’t suffering from
destinationitis.

Old June 13th 20, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/13/2020 12:14 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 12 June 2020 23:57:43 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
I fix the switches by
cutting them out and twisting the stripped wires together.Snipped
- Frank Krygowski

Where did my post go?

That's not fixing a switch! It's removing it or bypassing it. Come on man! This is a TECHNICAL newsgroup! You have to use precise terminology here! LOL VBEG

Cheers

Mea culpa!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 20, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 07:30:09 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 10:30:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 11:48:06 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I believe that solar panels have a "life till decreasing to some
specific output", which is why I phrased the question as I did.

Nope. The defacto standard is when the output gets to 80% of rated
power:
https://energyinformative.org/lifespan-solar-panels/

You missed the part that said, "Largely because on a sail boat
there is limited space to mount the panels"?

It's also rather difficult to aim solar panels at the sun on a moving
sailboat. So, they tend to be pointed straight up, which is not
ideal, but good enough for topping off a battery. However, I've seen
more than a few cracked panels on boats, where someone up the mast
dropped a tool or some hardware, which landed on the panel. On
sailboats, the sails often block the sun.

It must have been a rather small boat :-) I had the panels mounted
over the stern of the boat, far behind the area swept by the main boom
and 20 feet or so behind the mast. Little chance of something dropping
off the mast and hitting them.

Yep. I owned part interest in a Cal 25. At the time (1974?) there
was no solar panel on the vessel. A later owner installed a panel on
the forward hatch, just ahead of the mast. It's a good place because
nobody is going to be walking on the hatch cover or solar panel when
there's a danger of getting hit by the jib. Also, I wouldn't want to
be sharing the cockpit with a solar panel:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Cal_25_sailboat_Kaliedoscope_1715.jpg
I can dig out photos of the Cal 25 with the broken panel but not right
now. I'm still moving junk from of my formerly palatial office and
into my house. I can't find anything right now.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 13th 20, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 12 Jun 2020 18:48:59 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 6:30:56 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

It's also rather difficult to aim solar panels at the sun on a moving
sailboat. So, they tend to be pointed straight up, which is not
ideal, but good enough for topping off a battery. However, I've seen
more than a few cracked panels on boats, where someone up the mast
dropped a tool or some hardware, which landed on the panel. On
sailboats, the sails often block the sun.

Not to mention that long before you get to gimballing the solar
panels, with the accompanying freezing drips down the back of your
neck, you'll discover that any member of the most serious class
of wind-powered sailor is a worse weight-weenie than any roadie
you've ever met.

Freezing? This is sunny California, where it rarely freezes and no
respectable fair weather sailor would ever leave port in anything less
than perfect weather. In my case, it was mostly the Weds evening
races, which were not exactly real races. Weds was chosen because
that was the day that the Coast Guard usually was out somewhere on
exercises. Nobody cared much about weight, speed, or even winning.
The object of the race was to arrive drunk, sail drunk, and return to
get more drunk. The only rules were that it was considered unsporting
to ram another boat and that out of control boats have the right of
way. The only real problem was when one of the party boats noticed
that someone was missing. Every available vessel was out in the bay
with search lights looking for him. When it became too dark to see
anything, we headed back to port, only to find that he hadn't left the
harbor and spent his time asleep in someone elses boat.

I'm not a very good drunk or party animal. So, I sold my interest in
the sailboat, which I used to purchase a Hobbie 14 sailboat. That was
fun for a few years, until my ladyfriends son and an accomplice surfed
it onto the beach a little to fast. A 5ft wave broke under the hulls,
causing the boat to go airborne, pitch pole generally forward, eject
the passengers, and break everything on the boat that could possibly
be broken upon landing in the sand.

Old June 13th 20, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I can see why mounting a panel on the deck, up forward, would be a bad
move as other then the jib flopping around up there you have to go
forward both to anchor and retrieve the anchor. On the other hand a
Cal 25 is pretty small and panels mounted on a frame over the stern
would probably be un-handy. On a larger boat though:
https://www.cruisingworld.com/adding-solar-power/
But to be honest most of the boats that do open ocean cruising seem to
have both wind generators and solar panels.

I also saw a towed propeller used to drive a generator on a 30 ft boot
that had sailed from Australia to Singapore and the owner said that it
worked well. But of course it only worked while under way.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 13th 20, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

I can see how a foredeck mounted panel would not be a really great
design as the jib is flopping around up there and you have to go
forward to anchor and retrieve the anchor. On the other hand a 25 ft.
boat is rather small for an aft mounted panels over the stern. See
https://www.cruisingworld.com/adding-solar-power/

I've also noticed that many of the open ocean cruisers I've met often
had both solar panels and a wind generator and were apparently happy
with that solution.
I also saw a towed propeller powered generator on a boat that had
sailed from Australia to Singapore that the owner said worked well.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 13th 20, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Something wrong here as for some reason I sent several replies 5to the
same messave by mistake.
--
cheers,

John B.