Pedestrian thanks police

Old September 19th 10, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marie

Default Pedestrian thanks police

http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55267308/

No doubt the diehards will ask if the police have nothing better to
do, or blame the complaints as coming from a small minority.
Old September 19th 10, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/09/2010 10:35, Marie wrote:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55267308/

No doubt the diehards will ask if the police have nothing better to
do, or blame the complaints as coming from a small minority.

"The officers also safety checked the bicycles for tyre wear"?

Its not the first thing I would associate with the safety of my bike.

Old September 19th 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Marie wrote:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55267308/

No doubt the diehards will ask if the police have nothing better to
do, or blame the complaints as coming from a small minority.

Job well done. High time these criminal cyclists were clamped down on.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

Old September 19th 10, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Nick wrote:
On 19/09/2010 10:35, Marie wrote:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n55267308/

No doubt the diehards will ask if the police have nothing better to
do, or blame the complaints as coming from a small minority.

"The officers also safety checked the bicycles for tyre wear"?

You convenienty snipped "and brake efficiency etc". Typical cyclist.

Its not the first thing I would associate with the safety of my bike.

Of course if push bikes had to have an annual MOT this sort of irresponsible
behaviour could be controlled.

Old September 19th 10, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gary2006uk

On 19 Sep, 13:28, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Marie wrote:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic...istol-uk/mi_80...

No doubt the diehards will ask if the police have nothing better to
do, or blame the complaints as coming from a small minority.

Job well done. *High time these criminal cyclists were clamped down on.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

try riding the toiur de france race on a toy bike.
Old September 19th 10, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Marie wrote:
http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic...istol-uk/mi_80...

No doubt the diehards will ask if the police have nothing better to
do, or blame the complaints as coming from a small minority.

Job well done. High time these criminal cyclists were clamped down
on.

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a
skateboard, is a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.

try riding the toiur de france race on a toy bike.

All push bikes are kids toys.

Don't get me started on the Tour De ****ing France. It came through Medway
in 2007.

****s on the local council wasted £482K for what amounted to a few seconds
of lycra clad road lice going past. We had local roads closed for ****ing
hours so a group of overgrown schoolboys could have a push bike race.

Old September 20th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 10:56:45 +0100 someone who may be Nick
wrote this:-

"The officers also safety checked the bicycles for tyre wear"?

Its not the first thing I would associate with the safety of my bike.

What training do these bods have to check tyre wear and brake
efficiency etc? Testing brake efficiency needs test equipment. If
they came across a bike with slick tyres would they make fools of
themselves?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Old September 20th 10, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

wrote this:-

"The officers also safety checked the bicycles for tyre wear"?

Its not the first thing I would associate with the safety of my bike.

What training do these bods have to check tyre wear and brake
efficiency etc? Testing brake efficiency needs test equipment. If
they came across a bike with slick tyres would they make fools of
themselves?

I was stopped cycling once by a gang of motorbike police who were
checking bike safety.

The checks basically seemed to comprise picking it up and checking no
bits fell off, waggling the steering (presumably to check that it
waggled) and a brake test. The brake test was:

1: Walking the bike forward (no weight on it, just holding the
handlebars), apply rear brake. Rear wheel locking constituted a pass.

2: Walking the bike forward (same conditions), apply front brake.
Rear wheel lifting off the ground constituted a pass.

My bike passed.

I don't recall them checking tyre wear, but maybe they glanced at the
tyres while waggling bits. If I were defining an inspection for tyre
wear, I'd probably confine myself to looking for exposed carcase
threads. That would apply for treaded or slick tyres.

To be honest, I don't mind police stopping road users for spot-checks,
even when they stop me. I'd probably be in favour of more of it -
might discourage the uninsured motorists a bit more.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old September 20th 10, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

wrote this:-

"The officers also safety checked the bicycles for tyre wear"?

Its not the first thing I would associate with the safety of my bike.

What training do these bods have to check tyre wear and brake
efficiency etc? Testing brake efficiency needs test equipment.

What training do /I/ have? Well, a /little/ on a Cycling Scotland
"Cycle trainer" course, but that's not much. And I don't have "proper"
equipment for it.

Yet I stopped a lad at my kids' school gate the other day because I was
worried about his front brake. I could see it wouldn't have worked
because the two sides (of a V brake) weren't hooked together. Not
rocket science! I hooked it back together, and then checked it and
found the lever was back on to the hand grip before it would lock the
wheel properly. Again, not rocket science to see that's not ideal, I
suggested remedial action by his parents was urgent. Was that wrong,
without formal training and equipment?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 20th 10, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:51:32 +0100 someone who may be Peter Clinch
wrote this:-

What training do /I/ have? Well, a /little/ on a Cycling Scotland
"Cycle trainer" course, but that's not much. And I don't have "proper"
equipment for it.

You were not testing brake efficiency. To do that you would need
test equipment. What you were doing was to fix an obvious fault,
your training being however long you have been cycling.

I doubt if all/many of the police officers have that experience and
I doubt if they have had training on it either. Unlike you they can
make the life of the cyclist inconvenient, even if they are talking
out of their backside. The police usually know nothing about
cycling, an example being the police officer I heard telling a
cyclist that a beware of low flying motorcycles sign means that
cycling is not allowed. A zealot, particularly one convinced they
were "making things safer", could cause a lot of hassle.

Pedestrian run over!! Doug[_3_] UK 2 March 15th 09 12:35 PM
Pedestrian Menace! Tom Sherman[_2_] General 19 July 11th 08 12:22 AM
Hit a pedestrian Claire Petersky General 41 December 8th 07 02:13 PM
Anyone ever hit a pedestrian? greentyres UK 54 November 12th 04 07:52 PM
Cyclist & Pedestrian Tony Raven UK 22 July 24th 04 08:38 PM