Roof Racks?

Old December 4th 04, 08:10 AM
Edward Holt

Default Roof Racks?

Can anyone recommend a roof rack to take two bikes?
I'm in the UK and would also welcome recommendations for online suppliers.

One of them is a Cannodale with a Lefty front fork so there may be
restrictions on the type of mount available.

Old December 4th 04, 11:09 AM
DJ

Thule do a good range of roof racks which attach to the roof bars of the
car. They have types that secure the bike by the frame as well as locking
onto the wheels so I don't think you will have a problem with your Lefty
fork. A bigger Halfords store often has a good range too but make sure you
do not discuss this with the Saturday boy as he probably would not have too
much of an idea what you want!

The car manufacturers often do their own line of carriers, Volvo and Audi's
are great though a little more expensive. Not sure about Hummers though.
If you have a tow bar on the car Thule and Hallfords also do a good range of
ball mounted carriers. It feels a bit odd at first though to have your
prized possession hanging on like this but they are secure enough.
Racks that attach with belts to the boot of the car (trunk) will damage the
paintwork over time.
Take a look here.
http://www.thule.com/frames.asp?id=8590

DJ

Old December 4th 04, 10:00 PM
Fred Fragger

I'd agree with DJ, go and have a look at the Thule range. Cheap they ain't
but they're good quality and secure.

Had mine nearly 2 years, longest journey 535 miles and no problems at all.

The lad at Halfords even fitted mine FOC (athough I subsequently re-fitted
them more in line with the instructions than he did - he did it by eye).

Later

Fred

Old December 5th 04, 06:53 AM
Edward Holt

"Fred Fragger" wrote in message
I'd agree with DJ, go and have a look at the Thule range. Cheap they ain't
but they're good quality and secure.

Had mine nearly 2 years, longest journey 535 miles and no problems at all.

The lad at Halfords even fitted mine FOC (athough I subsequently re-fitted
them more in line with the instructions than he did - he did it by eye).

Later

Fred

Cheers guys - just ordered Thule stuff.

rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Roof racks adownhiller Mountain Biking 11 November 9th 03 07:13 AM