Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 13th 07, 02:30 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
Cycling is not the be-all and end-all of life. We are actually designed
for walking, not cycling. Try to get out and walk everyday for an hour or
so, if you can do that safely there in White Plains.

The loss of cycling, while not everything, is huge. It has been a source
of pleasure for most of my adult life and I won't concede it easily. While
I have never been a big fan of walking, my residual injuries make it more
unpleasant then ever. Because of the foot drop on my right side and the
difficulty in picking up that foot, walking has become a real chore. I
frequently stumble and trip on my own foot.

I still have martial arts and this winter, I should get out and see how
cross country skiing is. On easy trails it is like winter hiking. You
don't have to pick up your leg all the way. It might be something I can
still do although given how short the season is (they don't make snow for
it), it can't really replace cycling.

Jeff, if you can't get out and walk easily I will admit you are in trouble.
I think that is the one thing we humans have to do in order to maintain our
health. Ever notice how those who are confined to a bed or a wheelchair
never live very long?

I think I would work on getting back the ability to walk above all else.
Surely there is a physical therapy or a prosthetic device available that
could help you.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka