Anyone in Brisbane (or elsewhere) need anything from Harris Cyclery?

Old May 13th 05, 04:43 AM
Andrew Blake

Default Anyone in Brisbane (or elsewhere) need anything from Harris Cyclery?

I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.

Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
some too.

So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...

I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever floats
your boat.

Andrew.

Old May 13th 05, 04:56 AM
Marty

Andrew Blake wrote:
I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.

Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
some too.

So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...

I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever floats
your boat.

Andrew.

Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.

Marty
Old May 13th 05, 05:06 AM
Andrew Blake

"Marty" wrote in message

Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.

Marty

You mean they include S&H charges as part of the dutiable value? Seems
unfair. Still won't be more than US$20-30 based on a quote for some hubs.

Still, that leaves a good US$100-150 of parts. Anyone?

Old May 13th 05, 05:25 AM
Marty

Andrew Blake wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message

Don't forget that postage and handling is included in that amount.

Marty

You mean they include S&H charges as part of the dutiable value? Seems
unfair. Still won't be more than US$20-30 based on a quote for some hubs.

I wouldn't bet on it. They usually send it USPS which costs about US$40.

What's even worse is that when customs do make you pay they assess it on
the duty paid as well. So you pay tax on the duty! If that isn't unfair
I don't know what is.

Marty

Still, that leaves a good US$100-150 of parts. Anyone?

Old May 13th 05, 05:37 AM
Andrew Blake

"Marty" wrote in message
I wouldn't bet on it. They usually send it USPS which costs about US$40.

They say they use Global Express Mail for orders over $100, and a pair of
hubs was quoted at $20, and all I've added so far are brake cables, pads,
sprocket&lockring. IRO Cycle wanted $40 for the same hubs shipped though.

What's even worse is that when customs do make you pay they assess it on
the duty paid as well. So you pay tax on the duty! If that isn't unfair I
don't know what is.

But that's circular? Very unfair. How can you calculate tax on duty without
calculating duty first... a = a+1.

Old May 13th 05, 05:58 AM
Marty

Andrew Blake wrote:
"Marty" wrote in message

I wouldn't bet on it. They usually send it USPS which costs about US$40.

They say they use Global Express Mail for orders over $100, and a pair of
hubs was quoted at $20, and all I've added so far are brake cables, pads,
sprocket&lockring. IRO Cycle wanted $40 for the same hubs shipped though.

What's even worse is that when customs do make you pay they assess it on
the duty paid as well. So you pay tax on the duty! If that isn't unfair I
don't know what is.

But that's circular? Very unfair. How can you calculate tax on duty without
calculating duty first... a = a+1.

That's what they do. They calculate the duty and then they calculate the
GST.

Marty
Old May 13th 05, 07:03 AM
Resound

"Andrew Blake" wrote in message
I'm putting the finishing touches on my order (Currently US$140), and
wondered if anyone wanted to buy anything that won't push the total over
AUD$500 (US$382) to avoid customs, and split the shipping with me.

Everything I'm ordering is compact, but if you're after tyres I may grab
some too.

So, anyone for some IRO fix/free hubs (US$70 for a front&rear, sealed
bearings, high flange)? Or KoolStop pads, track nuts, chainring bolts...

I can arrange pickup (St. Lucia/UQ best) or post it to you, whatever
floats your boat.

Andrew.

You are a bad, bad man to tempt a poor student into spending like that. Must
be good, must be gooood...

Old May 13th 05, 07:19 AM
Andrew Blake

"Resound" wrote in message
You are a bad, bad man to tempt a poor student into spending like that.
Must be good, must be gooood...

Hey, I'm a poor student too!

Anyway, offer is retracted now (happy?) as gecko has filled out my order
with various bits and pieces.

Andrew.

Old May 13th 05, 07:26 AM
Resound

"Resound" wrote in message
You are a bad, bad man to tempt a poor student into spending like that.
Must be good, must be gooood...

Hey, I'm a poor student too!

Anyway, offer is retracted now (happy?) as gecko has filled out my order
with various bits and pieces.

Andrew.

And a tease as well!

*shakes head*

Old May 13th 05, 07:30 AM
Andrew Blake

"Resound" wrote in message

And a tease as well!

*shakes head*

Don't bother me, I'm the one with shiny Sheldon parts in the mail. Nyer!