Speed guns made my commute safer

Old January 7th 10, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Speed guns made my commute safer

Letter in our local rag:

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3320/002sw.jpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/
Old January 7th 10, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:

Letter in our local rag:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3320/002sw.jpg

Your letter?

What's that supposed to prove?
Old January 7th 10, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Letter in our local rag:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3320/002sw.jpg

Your letter?

What's that supposed to prove?

That a visible police presence not only deters drivers from speeding, but
also alters their behaviour, such as letting cyclists out who want to turn
right, for example. A passive safety camera will deter speeders, but will
not encourage polite behaviour towards other road users.

Old January 7th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Letter in our local rag:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3320/002sw.jpg

Your letter?

What's that supposed to prove?

That a visible police presence not only deters drivers from speeding,
but also alters their behaviour, such as letting cyclists out who want
to turn right, for example. A passive safety camera will deter speeders,
but will not encourage polite behaviour towards other road users.

OK.

How does your letter prove that?

I'm not saying you're wrong - just asking how your letter proves your case.
Old January 7th 10, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

Letter in our local rag:
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3320/002sw.jpg

Your letter?

What's that supposed to prove?

That a visible police presence not only deters drivers from speeding, but
also alters their behaviour, such as letting cyclists out who want to
turn right, for example. A passive safety camera will deter speeders, but
will not encourage polite behaviour towards other road users.

OK.

How does your letter prove that?

I'm not saying you're wrong - just asking how your letter proves your
case.

I have ridden to work along that stretch of road for 10 years, so that
equates to about 2140 times, so I have a pretty good experience of drivers'
habits. If I stick my arm out to turn right then it gets ignored, but on
this occasion, they were falling over themselves to let me out. Why? Because
of the police presence who could see I was signalling to turn right. Of that
there is no doubt.

Old January 7th 10, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

So what are you saying?

That you should have your own personal police escort wherever you go?
Old January 7th 10, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

I have ridden to work along that stretch of road for 10 years, so that
equates to about 2140 times, so I have a pretty good experience of
drivers' habits. If I stick my arm out to turn right then it gets ignored,
but on this occasion, they were falling over themselves to let me out.
Why? Because of the police presence who could see I was signalling to turn
right. Of that there is no doubt.

I do a regular right turn on a wide road where the speed of the traffic is
usually increasing. Sticking my arm out is meaningless as virtually every
car will continue to accelerate to overtake. There are only two options 1)
Wait on the left by the kerb until it is clear [1] or 2) PLF and slot into
the 2 second gap between the traffic - then indicate, and even then some of
them still try to overtake on the right.

[1] Not really an option for big boys but I get my kids to do this.

Old January 7th 10, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"JNugent" wrote in message
..

So what are you saying?

That you should have your own personal police escort wherever you go?

It was in response to a letter from a driver who contended that it was a
waste of police resource to try and "trap" speeding drivers there as they
should be concentrating on drink drivers and careless drivers. My response
was that they were using the speeding as a way in to pull drivers for a
breath test and their presence also made the road safer from careless
driving. Hopefully, they should do this more often.

Old January 7th 10, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"mileburner" wrote in message
-
I do a regular right turn on a wide road where the speed of the traffic is
usually increasing. Sticking my arm out is meaningless as virtually every
car will continue to accelerate to overtake. There are only two options 1)
Wait on the left by the kerb until it is clear [1] or 2) PLF and slot into
the 2 second gap between the traffic - then indicate, and even then some
of them still try to overtake on the right

Lately, I have been activating my flashing blue rear light when riding along
the final right turn and have found it has had a similar effect to a police
presence and I seem to have been allowed to execute the turn with more
consideration.

Old January 7th 10, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman

JNugent wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Paid for by somebody else of course.

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

London commute - Which single speed bike? jh UK 24 December 28th 07 10:00 PM
West London commute - any suggestions for a safer route? [email protected] UK 23 November 28th 06 05:18 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 2 October 7th 04 05:28 AM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 1 October 7th 04 02:03 AM
Guns On Bikes??? Bubba@FL Social Issues 23 March 4th 04 03:36 PM