Bike Helmets

Old September 9th 12, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil[_3_]

Default Bike Helmets

Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a few
cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet, rather
than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a breach of my
civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure and freedom of
wandering around pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.
Thanks,
Neil

Old September 10th 12, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_3_]

Neil wrote:
Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a
few cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet,
rather than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a
breach of my civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure
and freedom of wandering around pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.

So why do you need a new helmet? One accident in 40 years?
Or is it because you have been using the same helmet for 40
years (did they even have helmets 40 years ago) and it got
damaged in the accident.
For the record I am not pro or anti helmets, but I am anti compulsion.

Brain fart I replied to Neil direct sorry about that
Old September 10th 12, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:39:43 +0100
soup wrote:

Or is it because you have been using the same helmet for 40
years (did they even have helmets 40 years ago)

They were called "hairnets" back in those days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...ory_of_designs

Protected from bumps and scrapes, didn't pretend to save your brain.

Old September 10th 12, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 9 Sep, 22:24, "Neil" wrote:
Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a few
cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet, rather
than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a breach of my
civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure and freedom of
wandering around *pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.
Thanks,
Neil

always ride two abreast.
http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/5/5a/5a...tingMatch.jpeg
Old September 10th 12, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil[_3_]

Interesting photo, I personally have always favoured reserving tactile
nuclear devices for taxis.

Old September 10th 12, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lieutenant Scott

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:30:23 +0100, thirty-six wrote:

On 9 Sep, 22:24, "Neil" wrote:
Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a few
cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet, rather
than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a breach of my
civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure and freedom of
wandering around pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.
Thanks,
Neil

always ride two abreast.
http://cdn.cyclingforums.com/5/5a/5a...tingMatch.jpeg

I don't have a breast.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Whats the fastest thing in Wales?
A virgin sheep.
Old September 10th 12, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lieutenant Scott

Neil wrote:
[...]

Presumably he doesn't have a helmet.

Old September 10th 12, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 09/09/2012 22:24, Neil wrote:
Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a
few cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet,
rather than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a
breach of my civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure
and freedom of wandering around pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.

For cycle touring? If you enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure and
freedom of wandering around pleasant countryside, you don't actually
need a helmet.

Old September 10th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/09/2012 20:33, Clive George wrote:

On 09/09/2012 22:24, Neil wrote:

Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a
few cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet,
rather than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a
breach of my civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure
and freedom of wandering around pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.

For cycle touring? If you enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure and
freedom of wandering around pleasant countryside, you don't actually need a
helmet...

....unless you fall off.
Old September 10th 12, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 10 Sep, 20:33, Clive George wrote:
On 09/09/2012 22:24, Neil wrote:

Dear All,
Had a disagreement with a car, It lost a wing mirror and I acquired a
few cuts and bruises so both parties lived to tell the tale.
But after 40 years of cycling I will have to finally bite the bullet,
rather than the car, and get a bike helmet. It feels rather like a
breach of my civil liberties as enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure
and freedom of wandering around *pleasant country side.
Any one like to share there thoughts on what to look out when choosing a
bike helmet for cycle touring.

For cycle touring? If you enjoy the usually uncomplicated pleasure and
freedom of wandering around pleasant countryside, you don't actually
need a helmet.

Pack-horse trails and some bridleways like bigger tyres although 32mm
x28" should do if one takes care.