Amazing new trials frame

Old December 9th 03, 03:29 AM
spickydoo

Default Amazing new trials frame

That is a sweet lookin' frame. The pins are a cool idea although I
wouldn't be able to use them just yet(although I am learning).
Can't wait to see one in real life. What is the proposed damage gonna
be? I'll have to start saving now I think.

--
spickydoo - one hot wheel

"They say you can pick your friends, You can pick your nose, But you
can't pick your friend's nose. " Unibrier

"If I wanted to be totally healthy I wouldn't smoke pot, drink alcohol
or stay up too late, and how fun would that be?" Rowan
spickydoo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1055

Old December 9th 03, 03:54 AM
gerblefranklin

Nice!

Man, I want one. Can anyone give weight comparisons to other popular
frames (Nimbus 2, KH 20, and any others)? I assume we're looking at a
price over $250 American ? Would you want to sell any prototypes or
anything? I'm looking to lighten my uni, with the hopes that it will
improve my jump. Seeing those pins also makes me want to prectice stand
up ww. Just curious, has anyone had their chlothes caught by the pins?

Can't wait till January, I hope to be able to scrape up the cash for one
soon.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Old December 9th 03, 04:10 AM
SEMPER_UNI

GerbilFranklin,
I currently have the three above mentioned frames (2 20" and 1 24").
And as I said if I still have them and Mr. Atkins hasn't blown his up,
I'd be comfortable selling two of them for a discounted price. The other
one, I'm currently riding and would like to keep for it's sentimental
value.

As far as retail goes, it's still up in the air. I want to keep it
reasonably priced, but they're not cheap to make. I'll have a better
idea after I talk to John Drummond from Uni.com. Chances are they'll be
a bit more than 250 American.

I've yet to have the set screws interfere with any of my riding. they
are set in pretty far on the crown and I doubt anyone will catch their
pants on them.

Thanks again to every for the encouraging responses.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

Old December 9th 03, 04:36 AM
merrill

How much does the 24" frame weigh? Has it also been stress tested?

Thanks

--
merrill - Confinement Loaf

Smart Bomb + Dumb President = Weapon of Mass Destruction
merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

Old December 9th 03, 07:50 AM
scot

Just checked out the pictures and that frame is the coolest thing I've
seen in unicycles lately. Nice job on the crown.

--
scot - unitourist

"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in
order to enjoy ourselves."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I'll bet this poor guy didn't have a unicycle.
scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

Old December 9th 03, 09:12 AM
Monkey Juggler

I remember when they were still made from paper. Its nice to see the
real thing.

--
Monkey Juggler - Sal Gionfriddo

Sal Gionfriddo

Trying to beat the Man.
Monkey Juggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1213

Old December 9th 03, 11:44 AM
jagur

Monkey Juggler wrote:
*I remember when they were still made from paper. *

ORigami MUni's??

'link' (http://www.paperfolding.com/)

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old December 9th 03, 03:26 PM
SEMPER_UNI

Yes, Origame. It's the new coolest thing. lighter than composits and
unbelieveable ride quality...

Sal is referring to my origianal "model." the frist two frames i made
were constructed of a machined seat tube and bearing clamps. the legs
and crown were constructed of two peices of sheet metal. same shape and
general design (without the mill work on the crown) but a entirely
monocoque design. I had a paper cutout of the laser cutting file all
scotch taped together and was showing the guys who came to flint. It
wasn't very elegant and i don't think anyone really could see what they
were going to look like from it, but at the time it seemed like a good
idea.

I have two 20" frames constructed in this manner from mild steel. they
are very stong (could hardly move the material to align it after
welding) but very heavy. they were early prototypes of what were going
to be sheet aluminum versions, but they would have been too hard to make
in quantity and there was over sixty inches of weld on a twenty inch
frame. all the welds are ground off of the one I ride and it looks
pretty sweet. i'll post pics if i ever get one of those camera
contraptions.

Merril,
Wieght on the trials frame without the steel bearing holders was 1
pound, 4 ounces. the frames that ryan and jeff are riding have steel
bearing holders for street style riding. ryan has requested a pair of
aluminum replacements that i will be making for him this week.
the 24" frames will come standard with aluminum bottom clamps (steel
will be an option for those interested) there isn't much material in the
bearing clamps, and aluminum is light, so add three ounces for that
maybe. other than that the frames are the same except there is three
more inches of leg between the bearing holders and the crown, add maybe
another ounce.
I'm pretty sure the final weight, including my magura mounting idea
(flush mount, so when you'r not using brakes there are no bosses,) will
way an oune or two more than the wilder frames posted weight of 1.44
pounds.

As far as Stress testing goes, My swanky new dell laptop should arrive
in the nest few days on which i plan to run Some FEA Analysis using
Altair Hypermesh (Plug for the company i work at: Altairs analysis
software is the whip.) these results will be reflected in the final
production design. I don't see much changing though, the same seems very
over built even at it's current low wieght. if anything guage analysis
on the seat tube and leg material will lead to a lighter stiffer
frame.
Current "stress" testing for the trials frames are being done by Ryan
and Jeff, who seem pleased thus far, though it's been only a few days of
riding. When I get back to school, Kettering University (check the
website, apply there, I need somone to ride with) I'm going to throw one
on a tensile and compression testing machine and see what it takes to
blow one up.

That's all for now. thanks again to everyone, without constantly reading
this forum I could never have gotten this far.

Old December 9th 03, 08:13 PM
johnfoss

I especially liked the pins on the crown, a great innovation! Because
they are screws, riders should be able to adjust them for less grip if
they get too hung up.

Like Nathan said, if it holds up under Ryan Atkins, it should work for
anybody!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Old December 9th 03, 09:23 PM
harper

The frame looks nice and the folded sheet for light weight and strength
is an interesting concept which you have proven is workable. How do you
do the tight folds? Over a mandrel?

I would recommend staying with a steel bottom clamp for the bearing
holders. They don't add much weight. The advantage of having a split
holder here is that the bottom can be armored. I've seen how quickly the
bearing holders get banged up doing crank grabs that miss slightly. The
aluminum would get gouged too quickly. The aluminum bearing holders on
my SH MUni sport some nice, deep scars. The KH trials uni that I have
just shows scratches.

You do the heat treating to T6 after all the welds, I presume? Do you
accurately know the weight difference between one of the CrMo trials
frames and yours with the required bearing hardware attached?

Anodized finishes are fantastic. And, by the way, if you want that frame
tested, don't let Jeff or Ryan use it....they're too graceful. You need
a klutz like me banging it up. I land like a buffalo.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones