A12 death :( There is something you can do

Old July 14th 03, 05:43 AM
Peter Fox

Default A12 death :( There is something you can do

You may have heard of a cyclist killed on the A12 yesterday.
It wasn't me.

But I'm starting my A12 rush-hour rides this week from that very spot.

The accident appears to be exactly as I have claimed was going to kill
and which the Highways agency refuse to admit is a dangerous design.

Even more reason for going ahead with the protest.

I have asked the Road safety minister to chase up the HA and perhaps
some of you good people might like to add your email.

The minister for road safety is David Jamieson and you should be able to
get a message to him at
marked for the minister's attention

Here is what it's all about:
http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk/roadsafety.htm
--
PETER FOX Not the same since the porcelain business went down the pan
2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.

Gravity beer in Essex http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk
Old July 14th 03, 10:09 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Default Cyclist banned from A12. See BBC 1 local news for East after 10pm news A12 death :( There is something you can do

Note -

Peter Fox has been told, according to the local media reports, not to cycle
along the A12, during the rush hour, by police. If this is true, can anyone
tell me what right the police have to stop a single cyclist from cycling along
a public highway??? On the surface of it, it sounds like pure anti-cyclist
prejudice and possibly an illegal act. Has the CTC been informed of this?

I don't know the full details, but from what is being put across in the local
media, I am appalled by the police action.

helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old July 14th 03, 11:58 PM
Adrian Boliston

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" wrote in message

Peter Fox has been told, according to the local media reports, not to

cycle
along the A12, during the rush hour, by police.

You would have thought that with lower vehicle speeds during rush hour it
would actually be safer in some ways.

Old July 15th 03, 01:38 AM
Peter Fox

Tuesday's ride goes ahead and we will see.

The police have a number of opportunities to put foot (big) in mouth and
make themselves look foolish. I have warned the chief const. by fax
that anybody suggesting cycling safely and reasonably along a dual
carriage way is causing an obstruction will be the immediate subject of
a formal complaint.

I also made the point that a bit of delay is nothing when compared to
lives. Apparently their latest statement witters on about all the
manpower they are putting into investigating the death of the TT - Shame
they haven't done anything about _prevention_. (NB Essex police don't
have any cycling officer.)

The HA are still in denial. Just shows what a pathetic bunch of civil
servants they are - When people are incapable of taking responsibility
for their actions they shouldn't be trusted with responsibility.

Ta for all the support, including offers to ride. Let's take it one
step at a time - Today the real work needs to be done by harassing your
MP to harass David Jamieson MP (Road safety minister). (Numbers in
phone book.)

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bridge building business collapsed
Old July 15th 03, 10:06 AM
Arthur Clune

Peter Fox wrote:

: I also made the point that a bit of delay is nothing when compared to
: lives. Apparently their latest statement witters on about all the
: manpower they are putting into investigating the death of the TT - Shame
: they haven't done anything about _prevention_. (NB Essex police don't
: have any cycling officer.)

It's a fair point tho, and maybe worth making, that it's ok to
*ride* along the A14 while still being stupidly dangerous to
*race* along it. There's a world of difference.

Arthur

Old July 15th 03, 02:39 PM
stephen pridgeon

Peter Fox wrote in message ...
Tuesday's ride goes ahead and we will see.

big snip

Peter,
Have you posted your actions on the CTT board and the veloriders
board? A lot of regulars on the boards come from that part of the
woods.

www.veloriders.co.uk
www.ctt.org.uk

SteveP
Old July 15th 03, 07:14 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:19:56 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

His crime is a serious one, being a cyclist. The police generally go
out of their way to pick on cyclists.

Your Plod May Vary. My local beat constable travels almost
exclusively by bike (as Alex "Mr Rat" will bear witness) and the
busies in Henley have been tremendously supportive when Captain
Clueless has done his worst to spoil my day.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
Advance notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP.
Obviously there will be a week of downtime between the engineer
removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to
the new ISP.
Old July 15th 03, 07:16 PM
Peter Fox

Arrested and charged with causing a wilful obstruction without lawful
authority or excuse!

Cycling on a dual carriage way is a crime!

The police are going to get some stick for the way they have handled
this in more ways than one.

The implication for all are well appreciated and some well known names
will be on-side when this matter comes to a proper court hearing.

In the meantime the Highways agency continue spouting rubbish From the
acting chief executive: "...I can assure you the provision for cyclists
for each scheme is assessed on its merits" So what? I didn't say it
wasn't.

Obviously he isn't concerned how the HA could ever propose something as
dangerous as a high-speed merge in the first place.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the cardboard box company folded
Old July 15th 03, 09:39 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Peter Fox wrote:

Arrested and charged with causing a wilful obstruction without lawful
authority or excuse!

Thou shalt not ... erm ... challenge authority! Nice to hear you're
getting some publicity, but have you got any of the meeja on-side,
or will you end up as the loony/villain yourself?

Obviously he isn't concerned how the HA could ever propose something as
dangerous as a high-speed merge in the first place.

I just looked at it on your webpage. There are a couple of superficially-
similar merges on my regular journey into Plymouth, that I don't consider
particularly dangerous. OTTOMH I can think of one on the way in and
two on the way home, all within 40mph limits.

The one on the way in is downhill, which means the speed difference
between cyclists and cars is small. Both the ones on the way home are
uphill, but benefit.from a stretch where bikes can merge but cars can't,
which I can occupy until there's a gap in traffic from the left.

All of them doubtless also benefit from the lighter and less stressed
traffic of the southwest, compared to London core commuterland.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8