Please help me find a cheap bike bag

Old August 1st 03, 12:56 AM
maxwellg

Default Please help me find a cheap bike bag

Hi,

I would like some help in finding a cheap bike bag, so I can take my bike
(Specialized Mountain Bike, 'normal size') on the plane. I have an
extremely tight budget to work with.

I've been told by the flight operator that I need to put the handle bars in
(straight), remove the pedals, and take off the front wheel and attach it
somehow to the frame, then as far as they are concerned just wrap it in bin
bags.

However, I've had run-in's with flight operators in the past, what they say
is one thing, what they actually do is quite another. I have this vision of
getting to the airport with my newly wrapped 'bin bagged bike'(tm) and have
them laughing hysterically as I'm being shown the exit. So I feel a bike
bag may be a safe bet.

Has anyone taken their bike on holiday and can maybe tell me how they got
on? Should I just wrap it in bin bags? Should I buy a bike bag? And if so,
which (cheap) one?

Thanks very much for any help.

max.
Old August 1st 03, 02:34 AM
maxwellg

Gonzalez wrote in
:

maxwellg wrote:

Has anyone taken their bike on holiday and can maybe tell me how they
got on? Should I just wrap it in bin bags? Should I buy a bike bag?
And if so, which (cheap) one?

The only cheap ones I know of are only suitable for French trains.

Where do you live. I have a good quality padded bag I could loan if
you can collect.

Reply here please if you are interested - I don't monitor my
*gonzalez* email account. I'm away until Tuesday.
--
remove remove to reply

I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne, a Geordie by all accounts.

Thank you for your kind offer. I'm only nipping over to Jersey (Channel
Islands), just so you know I won't be dragging your bag through the Sahara
or anything ;-)

max.
Old August 1st 03, 07:30 AM
Michael MacClancy

In message , maxwellg
writes
[...]

If you look in google groups you will find lots of recommendations for
putting bikes on planes. Garry Lee has flown a lot with his bike and
this is what he said in a recent report of a trip to Sardinia.

We only take off pedals and turn bars. This I believe is the safest way
transport or ship as the Yanks say, a bike. Putting in a box is a
recipe for
a large elephant to be plonked on top of it.

Garry's theory seems to be that if it looks like luggage it gets treated
like luggage, if it looks like a bike it gets handled properly. Many
people get a box (wrapping from a new bike) from their LBS. Problem is
that they don't have the box coming back. Others put pipe lagging
around the tubes. It seems sensible to leave the wheels free to turn so
that the handlers can push the bike rather than manhandle it.
--
Michael MacClancy
Old August 1st 03, 10:30 AM
Dave

"maxwellg" wrote in message
.4...
Hi,

I would like some help in finding a cheap bike bag, so I can take my bike
(Specialized Mountain Bike, 'normal size') on the plane. I have an
extremely tight budget to work with.

snip

Has anyone taken their bike on holiday and can maybe tell me how they got
on? Should I just wrap it in bin bags? Should I buy a bike bag? And if so,
which (cheap) one?

Thanks very much for any help.

max.

Never tried it Max but I reckon you'd get away with a large cardboard box
from your local Currys or whatever, like ex-fridge/freezer or something. You
could even fashion it to have handles through the frame so everyone knows
which way up / how to carry it. Also see if they've got any spare bubblewrap
for padding ;-)
HTH
Dave.

Old August 1st 03, 01:52 PM
maxwellg

Gonzalez wrote in
:

maxwellg wrote:

I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne, a Geordie by all accounts.

I Live in South East London, so unless you're flying from London City
Airport it's a non starter.
--
remove remove to reply

Thanks for your offer anyway Gonzalez, very kind.

max.
Old August 2nd 03, 12:23 AM
Jo Hardman

"maxwellg" wrote in message
[...]

My cheap solution is very cheap sleeping bags (as wide as you can get them,
and obviously not mummy shaped) plus heavy duty polythene, and some bubble
wrap for delicate bits. I have a proper bag for my own bike, but the economy
version has worked well for other family members. Lots of gaffer tape is
required for the outer polythene layer - don't forget to have some available
for the home journey, and use lots of polythene so that when it gets ripped
undone you still have enough left undamaged for return journey. Even if you
pay to leave all the packing at the airport (shove it all into one bag -
they charge per item, however big it is), it is still a cheap option. One
last thing - if you put a large label on it stating that it is a bike, you
never know someone might read it and treat it accordingly.
Jo

Old August 2nd 03, 03:26 AM
maxwellg

"Jo Hardman" wrote in
:

"maxwellg" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jo, I had a chat with the LBS bloke and he said the same as you
about putting the word bike in big letters on the outer wrapping, you
never know he said someone might take notice.

But he was also telling me about having to fix peoples bikes after they
have landed because the baggage handlers have literally bounced it down
the runway.

I took a strong leather suitcase over to Jersey last year and when I
picked it up at the airport it had a huge rip in one side, christ knows
what they were doing with it, probaly used it as a chock for the front
wheel of the airplane at some point, no doubt.

max.