Muni trail equipment

Old January 26th 05, 12:37 AM
maestro8

Catboy wrote:
*Having a small, or larger first aid kit is a good idea. I will never
forget the day I had to ride 2 miles after a rock gouged a 3/4 inch
hole in my elbow. *

After several years of rock climbing, I've found that chalk dust (used
to keep hands sweat-free) and sports tape are all the first-aid you
need. If anything starts bleeding, stuff some chalk in there and tape
it up. Voila! Sprain or break? Tape it until you can't move it!

Of course, wearing armor precludes the need for first aid kits.

--
maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

Groucho Marx

Old January 26th 05, 01:19 AM
TonyMelton

john_childs wrote:
*a schrader valve tool to tighten a leaky tire valve.*

Wow I never knew these tools actually existed! Have you got a pic of
one?

--
TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

Read the latest online issue of
''One Track Mind'' (http://tinyurl.com/6mm9r), Unicycle.com NZ's
eNewsletter!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old January 26th 05, 02:29 AM
maestro8

TonyMelton wrote:
*Wow I never knew these tools actually existed! Have you got a pic of
one? *

I found one of these by accident on the opposite side of a schrader
valve cap (Thanks, Corbin!). It was a LIFE SAVER! If anyone can tell
me where to find these, I'll buy one for everyone on the forum!

Old January 26th 05, 03:33 AM
wogri

I carry: Water and shinpads. Don't you like the adventure? My Muni
hasn't broken down for ever, I just (naively) trust my equpment.

--
wogri - That *** looks ***

http://www.wogri.at
http://unicycling.wogri.at
wogri's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7490

Old January 26th 05, 03:44 AM
digitalattrition

You can get that schrader valve tool at pretty much any auto parts
store, as car tires use schraders valves (for the most part). Don't
worry about buying me one, I already have about 3.

--
digitalattrition - Single Wheeled Attack Team

el gerbel: now time for pickup lines
el gerbel: sorry, wroing window

Main Men: Kevin, Tim, Dijohn, Joe, Jim, Bevan

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
http://singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

Old January 26th 05, 06:17 AM
Ken Cline

"maestro8" writes:

Of course, wearing armor precludes the need for first aid kits.

Before I start arguing, let me heartily agree that sports tape is a
fantastically useful component of a first aid kit. In fact, my first
aid kit often comprises just a roll of sports tape and my supply of
drinking water (cleaning wounds with water is an effective alternative
to antiseptics).

I've never heard of applying gymnastic chalk to wounds. I'd want more
information before I considered doing so.

But, of course, you know armor won't prevent injuries. Thinking about
the sort of things that can go wrong even while wearing armor makes me
wonder about adding a SAM Splint to that first aid kit.

Ken
Old January 26th 05, 06:21 AM
Ken Cline

"jim.furfaro" . com writes:

What is LOL, POW, etc.

Laugh Out Loud. Prisoner Of War. These and more at
http://www.acronymfinder.com
Old January 26th 05, 07:37 AM
john_childs

TonyMelton wrote:
*Wow I never knew these tools actually existed! Have you got a pic of
one? *

Here's a picture of one. This one is part of a valve cap. It will work
well enough for an emergency repair to fix a leaky valve.

You can find them at most any auto parts store that sells valve caps or
auto tire repair stuff.

Schrader valve cores are removable. The valve core is threaded in to
the valve. If the valve is leaking you tighten the core and that
generally fixes the leak.

| Attachment filename: schrader valve core tool.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/271620|

john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old January 26th 05, 08:25 AM
tomblackwood

john_childs wrote:
*Here's a picture of one. *

So -that's- what that thing is . I've had a couple of those things
around in the past, and never had any idea either where it came from or
what it was for. Still don't know where they came from, but glad the
other part's cleared up.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old January 26th 05, 09:28 AM
daino149

john_childs wrote:
*Here's a picture of one. This one is part of a valve cap. It will
work well enough for an emergency repair to fix a leaky valve.

You can find them at most any auto parts store that sells valve caps
or auto tire repair stuff.

Schrader valve cores are removable. The valve core is threaded in to
the valve. If the valve is leaking you tighten the core and that
generally fixes the leak. *

I had one that came with my bottle of Specialized tire slime. In order
to insert the slime into the tire, you have to take the inside of the
valve apart so they give you the tool to do it with. I'd just like to
say that the tire slime was also a very good thing for me to have. I
used to get tons of flats from Keawe thorns, but since I've used the
tire slime, I've pulled out a few thorns, but never had to replace (or
patch) a tube.

Another item I keep telling myself I should get to carry with me is a
mylar emergency blanket. Do any of you ride with one? I just have this
fear that I'm going to fall off the side of a cliff and break my leg,
then die of hypothermia.

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
I need to find a job

Go Faster New Bike Recommendations ? Mike Beauchamp General 50 December 16th 04 05:13 PM
Kentucky Muni Weekend... chirokid Unicycling 6 May 4th 04 04:06 PM
IMBA Trailbuilding? N Simpson Mountain Biking 10 April 8th 04 04:08 PM
Katy trail ride report TBGibb Rides 4 October 16th 03 08:01 PM
RR-Riding with The Rubbles. (long) Dave W Mountain Biking 0 October 4th 03 06:08 PM