british people read this and reply!!!

Old August 4th 05, 02:12 AM
habbywall

Default british people read this and reply!!!

okay, if you are british could you please simply add some phrases that
you people say and whay american folks say instead of your terms, thanks
to anyone who responds

--
habbywall

It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

Old August 4th 05, 04:02 AM
cyberpunk

Okay for the record, I'm from the states. And I have no idea what he
just said.

--
cyberpunk - Become one with the Debian

The following is the fault of a random google search and catboy.

"Baby Laughs : The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood"

cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923

Old August 4th 05, 04:09 AM
jagur

pop off will ya, this thread is so daft.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old August 4th 05, 08:44 AM
DustinMichels

Huh?

--
DustinMichels - What could possibly go wrong?

-Clink! Screw! Bend! Inflate! Alter Saddle!-
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Old August 4th 05, 08:56 AM
halfbike

I'll have an orangina please.

--
halfbike - Obsessed Rider

Your mom goes to college...
halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428

Old August 4th 05, 09:52 AM
totally_hooked

Try this.....

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

--
totally_hooked - U

Unicycling is better than Prozac
totally_hooked's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10069

Old August 4th 05, 10:30 AM
s7ev0

jagur wrote:
*pop off will ya, this thread is so daft. *

I wasn't going to respond to this thread (should really be in JC,
habbywall), but jagur's Dick Van Dykism kept coming back to me.

Am I the only Brit who's only ever heard the expression "pop off" spoken
by an American with a comedy British accent?

--
s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

Friends see me on my unicycle and mention "mid-life crisis". I had
never really appreciated how close the terms "crisis" and "fun" are.
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

Old August 4th 05, 12:19 PM
JJuggle

s7ev0 wrote:
*with a comedy British accent? *

You're trying to tell us you really...

...oops...

...nevermind.

I'll just pop off now.

--
JJuggle - Meet the new boss...

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

I wish that I was born a thousand years ago
I wish that I'd sail the darkened seas on a great big clipper ship
Going from this land here to that in a sailor's suit and cap
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old August 4th 05, 07:52 PM
Mikefule

habbywall wrote:
*okay, if you are British could you please simply add some phrases
that you people say and what American folks say instead of your terms,
thanks to anyone who responds *

Interesting question. I sometimes include translationsin some of my
posts.

Several people have mentioned "pop"already. Remember a few years ago,
the English nanny and the shaken baby? There was a big court case
(murder trial) and the nanny said she had "popped"the baby in its cot.
The prosecution lawyer tried to make somethign of this because
"pop"sounds like it means "burst".

To "pop": verb, intransitive, often followed by "over"or "into". To
make a short quick journey that presents no difficulties. Verb,
transitive, to place something quickly and easily, usually into
something.

As for unicycling terms: you say sidewalk, we say pavement. Can't think
of many others.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

Old August 4th 05, 07:54 PM
MattPH

A couple of things that spring to mind that would not be condsidered
amusing or rude in Britain would be

Can I borrow your rubber? which means... Can I use your erasure.

Can I bum a Fag? means.... Can you give me a cigarette..

a few more I can think of...

Where's the Bog?.......Where is the Restroom (why do you call them
restrooms anyway?, I don't go there to rest)

Dustcart......Garbage Truck

Bin.......Trash Can

Nappy......Dyper

Lorry/Van.....Truck