New bike lock

Old October 24th 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default New bike lock

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:04:56 -0700 (PDT), Mike A Schwab
wrote:

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 8:46:10 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 8:31:44 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Snipped Instead, I suggest decorating a U-lock to look like a stick of
dynamite.
http://inertproducts.com/dynamite
http://www.eod-gear.com/inert-training-dynamite/
Some printed paper wrapped around the straight part of the lock should
suffice. Now, would you grind or saw your way through what might be
enough explosive to vaporize you, the lock, the bike, the bike rack,
and most of the neighborhood? I don't think so.

Yep. Then you come back to your bike and find that it's been blown to
pieces by Homeland Security because someone reported it looked like a bomb.
our bike is still gone.

I just hate it when I get taken seriously. I posted the dynamite idea
to suggest that it doesn't matter if it's barf gas, explosives, or
confetti, it's still a bomb. Sorry, but I guess I should have been
more obvious and less sarcastic.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...k_band_th.html
A sticker for the band "This bike is a pipe bomb" got a guy brought up on charges.

He was found guilty as charged, but still didn't bother removing the
sticker:
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/08/3_days_after_conviction_kalama.html
It's difficult to tell from the small photo, but the sticker and
bicycle looks very new, as if had been applied just before his Occupy
Kalamazoo protest. Claiming that
"he forgot the sticker was even on the bike"
doesn't seem very compelling.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 24th 16, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

After having one 125cc motorcycle stolen from under a Thai house
(built on stilts) I thought seriously about connecting the new one to
the electrical power system and driving a ground post near the bike.
Connect the power leg to the bike and the neutral to the ground post.

(Note: in Northern Thailand in those days that would be perfectly
legal. In fact shooting thieves was legal :-)

Than the lightening bolt of reality struck. Got up late. Swig a cupa.
Late to work. In a hurry. Down the steps grab the bike. WHAP!

So I never did it. But I still think it was a pretty good idea :-)

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...k_band_th.html
A sticker for the band "This bike is a pipe bomb" got a guy brought up on charges.

He was found guilty as charged, but still didn't bother removing the
sticker:
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/08/3_days_after_conviction_kalama.html
It's difficult to tell from the small photo, but the sticker and
bicycle looks very new, as if had been applied just before his Occupy
Kalamazoo protest. Claiming that
"he forgot the sticker was even on the bike"
doesn't seem very compelling.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 24th 16, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 1:29:18 AM UTC-7, somebody wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ediately-vomit

Like many Bay area entrepreneurs, the SkunkLock creators are
crowdfunding for their future. Pledging $99 to their Indiegogo fund
promises a customer their own SkunkLock in June 2017, pending risk
assessment by their legal team.

There are simply too many difficulties with this sort of booby trap. And this is probably illegal since it could effect passers-by who normally ignore the sounds of a grinder cutting through the hardest locks we have.

In the extremely unlikely event of a person being caught trying to steal a bike the cops and courts do almost nothing. You can look at Craigslist and see that people that are selling bikes don't know a single thing about the bikes they are selling. They don't even know the size. And the manufacturers don't help anything by not putting serial numbers on them.

Best way to lock a bike to a car? Duncan Smith UK 14 May 16th 07 10:59 PM
WTB: lock for bike Ajeya General 1 December 3rd 06 01:19 PM
FS Master Lock Street Cuff 9-Link Bike Lock [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 21st 05 08:06 AM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen John Thompson Techniques 2 October 10th 04 02:15 PM
A new lock cable idea, was Lock Opened With Ball Point Pen Matt O'Toole Techniques 30 October 10th 04 02:10 PM