Bottom brackets, etc.

Old April 29th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HDGuzzi

Default Bottom brackets, etc.

Can anyone tell me if the bottom bracket inners from a '70s version
Raleigh Sports will fit into a 1969/70 Gran Prix frame? I'm thinking
of maybe taking the handle bars, wheels, etc. from the Sports and
making the Gran Prix frame into a three speeder.
Old April 29th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

HDGuzzi wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the bottom bracket inners from a '70s version
Raleigh Sports will fit into a 1969/70 Gran Prix frame? I'm thinking
of maybe taking the handle bars, wheels, etc. from the Sports and
making the Gran Prix frame into a three speeder.

The threads are the same for both head and BB. The stem fits both forks
and the seatpost size is the same.

You may have brake reach issues with the smaller wheel size, check that.
Leave the right side cup in place, it was installed before painting.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 29th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

A Muzi wrote:
HDGuzzi wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the bottom bracket inners from a '70s version
Raleigh Sports will fit into a 1969/70 Gran Prix frame? I'm thinking
of maybe taking the handle bars, wheels, etc. from the Sports and
making the Gran Prix frame into a three speeder.

The threads are the same for both head and BB. The stem fits both forks
and the seatpost size is the same.

You may have brake reach issues with the smaller wheel size, check that.
Leave the right side cup in place, it was installed before painting.

At least some Worksop made Grand Prix were BSC thread BB. This one
caught me by surprise when I did a cotterless crank update to my
brother's Worksop decaled 1968 Raleigh Grand Prix a few years ago.
I thought I'd be using Raleigh threaded cups and searching for a
suitable spindle, but the donor bike's Kawamura cups spun right in.

Marcus

Old April 29th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

HDGuzzi writes:

Can anyone tell me if the bottom bracket inners from a '70s version
Raleigh Sports will fit into a 1969/70 Gran Prix frame? I'm thinking
of maybe taking the handle bars, wheels, etc. from the Sports and
making the Gran Prix frame into a three speeder.

You could also buy a sugino or whatnot BB spindle and re-use the
sports (or grand prix) cups and put a modern square-taper crankset on
the grand prix - that's what I did (long, long ago ...)

Another choice is to get a bottom bracket cartridge where both sides
can be removed (Phil Wood or UN-72 are best, but UN-72's are hard to
find NOS; Campy Chorus and/or Tange/IRD are suitable substitutes, but
may require filing) and combine it with the 26 tpi raleigh-type
mounting rings from phil wood.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA
Old April 29th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HDGuzzi

On Apr 28, 4:20*pm, HDGuzzi wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the bottom bracket inners from a '70s version
Raleigh Sports will fit into a 1969/70 Gran Prix frame? I'm thinking
of maybe taking the handle bars, wheels, etc. from the Sports and
making the Gran Prix frame into a three speeder.

Wow, you guys are a wealth of knowledge!
Some of this stuff still thows me as I'm pretty new at this hobby, (re-
building) but I'm getting the hang of the work and the lingo!
THANKS, all!
Old April 29th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Marcus Coles wrote:
At least some Worksop made Grand Prix were BSC thread BB. This one
caught me by surprise when I did a cotterless crank update to my
brother's Worksop decaled 1968 Raleigh Grand Prix a few years ago.
I thought I'd be using Raleigh threaded cups and searching for a
suitable spindle, but the donor bike's Kawamura cups spun right in.

Gran Prix (Nottingham) or a Gran Sport (Carlton)? They're quite
different both in frame and equipment, albeit with similar colors/graphics.

Old April 29th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HDGuzzi

Marcus Coles wrote:
At least some Worksop made Grand Prix were BSC thread BB. *This one
caught me by surprise when I did a cotterless crank update to my
brother's Worksop decaled 1968 Raleigh Grand Prix a few years ago.
I thought I'd be using Raleigh threaded cups and searching for a
suitable spindle, but the donor bike's Kawamura cups spun right in.

Gran Prix (Nottingham) or a Gran Sport (Carlton)? They're quite
different both in frame and equipment, albeit with similar colors/graphics..

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Nottingham. 10 speed, bought new from a Raleigh dealer in San
Francisco in 1969. Only have the frame left and it's presently hanging
in my garage.
Old April 29th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

Marcus Coles wrote:
At least some Worksop made Grand Prix were BSC thread BB. This one
caught me by surprise when I did a cotterless crank update to my
brother's Worksop decaled 1968 Raleigh Grand Prix a few years ago.
I thought I'd be using Raleigh threaded cups and searching for a
suitable spindle, but the donor bike's Kawamura cups spun right in.

Gran Prix (Nottingham) or a Gran Sport (Carlton)? They're quite
different both in frame and equipment, albeit with similar colors/graphics.

Definitely a Grand Prix looks pretty much like any other, same lugs,
wrap around seat stays, brazed-on brake cable hanger loop, stamped
dropouts etc.

Raleigh head tube badge, Grand Prix decals on the top tube, Raleigh
decal on the downtube, Carlton belt decals on the fork blades and
remnants of a what appeared to be a Carlton decal on the seat tube panel.

Actually it looked pretty much like the 1968 one at the top of this
page, but in green and black with green bar tape and white Carlton hoods.

http://retroraleighs.com/grand-prix.html

Note the production being by Carlton from the catalog listing.

My Brother still rides it, with a different drive train and 700c wheels,
he considers it his psychological advantage for group rides. :-)

Marcus

Bottom brackets Finlay Mackay UK 8 August 11th 07 06:14 PM
Bottom brackets and headsets Tim Hall UK 6 June 15th 07 01:39 PM
Help with Shimano Bottom Brackets? pinnah Techniques 3 July 24th 06 07:29 AM
What's With Bottom Brackets? [email protected] Techniques 8 June 22nd 06 09:07 PM
WTB: Bottom brackets Dave Thompson Marketplace 1 December 20th 04 03:16 PM