Traffic laws apply to everyone

Old October 14th 16, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Traffic laws apply to everyone

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 12:30:29 PM UTC-7, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 10-08-2016 14:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Scenario: A tandem tour with my wife. We'd ridden roughly 50 miles
that day on a bike carrying too much stuff in its panniers. We were
heading up a hill in an unfamiliar city with not a car in sight, when
the light just ahead of us turned red. I snarled a quick expletive,
thinking about the difficulty of getting the tandem re-started on that
hill, then said "Heck with it; I'm going." No complaints at all from
the stoker as I rolled on through the empty intersection.

Understandable. I have succumbed to that temptation under a few
particularly onerous terrains, and when I was sure there were no witnesses.

There are a few particularly irritating places in Spain where the
terrain and/or vegetation prevents one from determining in advance
whether there are approaching hazards/witnesses. Get up some nice speed
downhill and have to shift to low while going downhill in order to be
able to get started up-hill the other side of the intersection.

--
Wes Groleau

Hey... ...47 Million Spaniards can't be wrong...
Old October 15th 16, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 10-14-2016 16:20, wrote:
On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 12:13:22 PM UTC-7, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 10-03-2016 13:03,
wrote:
I will often run stop signs if there is no traffic

I slow down at a stop sign as much as I can without losing balance.
Rationale: minimize the excuses motorists might have for hating bicyclists.

--
Wes Groleau

The trouble with this is that motorists are afraid you're going to then cut them off. But I can come to a complete stop and balance for a couple of seconds. Funny since after the concussion I had I can't walk in a straight line and often lose by balance and stagger when walking. This is why I have a handicap marker to show cops that I couldn't possibly pass a drunk test.

Yes, I've noticed that a few of them irritatingly wait when they have
the right-of-way, when if they had noticed I was stopping, they could
have gone by before I even got all the way to the intersection.

Others who have a stop sign and get their first and sit there until I
get there, where if they had exercised their right, they would have been
long gone before I got there. Then I have to decide whether they're
being excessively timid/nice or whether they're going to take off right
when I get there.

But it seems (without actually counting) that the majority apply the
rules of the road properly. which i better for both of us.

--
Wes Groleau
Old October 15th 16, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/14/2016 11:31 PM, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 10-14-2016 16:20, wrote:

[...]

I frequently give hand signals to motorists at 4-way stop signs. I wave
them out as I'm coming to a stop. It saves a fair amount of time. My
waves are nothing but confirming the legal order of right-of-way.

Incidentally, for a couple years now we've had a new roundabout on what
was my pre-retirement route to work. I've heard other cyclists complain
about a close call or two, but I've never had one. A possible reason is
that if a motorist is approaching a bit too fast for my liking while I'm
in the circle, I put my hand up as a "Stop!" signal. It's worked
perfectly every time.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 16th 16, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Frank Krygowski wrote in news:ntu52g$ori$1@dont-
email.me:

I frequently give hand signals to motorists at 4-way stop signs. I wave
them out as I'm coming to a stop. It saves a fair amount of time. My
waves are nothing but confirming the legal order of right-of-way.

I find that if I make the standard arm signal for "I intend to stop" seems
to motivate people to take their right-of-way. I too do it as I approach the
intersection. I find it annoying when people wave me through but from the
interior of their car with reflections off the windscreen and windows so I
cannot see their signal.

Incidentally, for a couple years now we've had a new roundabout on what
was my pre-retirement route to work. I've heard other cyclists complain
about a close call or two, but I've never had one. A possible reason is
that if a motorist is approaching a bit too fast for my liking while I'm
in the circle, I put my hand up as a "Stop!" signal. It's worked
perfectly every time.

I wear bright cycling gloves for most of the season for similar situations:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5049-9...one-Gel-Gloves and
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-2...-Cycling-Glove.
Only now that I am encoutering below-freezing temperatures in the morning am
I using heavier, insulated gloves that are not available in bright colours.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 17th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Andrew Chaplin writes:

[...]

I like these for colder weather (fortunately not here yet):

http://www.kinco.com/product/1939/

Not marketed for cycling, but I don't see that as a problem.

Old October 17th 16, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Gloves: was: Traffic laws apply to everyone

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 16:20:10 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

Only now that I am encoutering below-freezing temperatures in the morning am
I using heavier, insulated gloves that are not available in bright colours.

I sewed yellow two-inch reflective tape to the backs of my insulated
gloves:

http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/BLOG4XVI/GLOVE_6h.JPG

The tape is wrinkled because it's sewn to fit when the gloves are
curled.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen reflective tape of any sort for sale in
ages.

I just Froogled. Silver tape is available, and yellow and orange
non-reflective tapes that have a narrow silver reflective stripe.

The RainShed Inc. was my best bet -- they have both reflective tape
and reflective fabric, but no bright colors that I could find. They
do have non-reflective fabrics and ribbons in bright colors. If I
needed to replace my tape, I think I'd sew some of their narrow Nomex
ribbon edge-to-edge; I'm pretty sure it would turn the wind.

The gloves in the picture are worn over bright-yellow mystery-fiber
gloves -- and it's time I started looking around for more, since cheap
gloves are available only in the fall. I have two pairs, one of them
not much worn, but I need to buy now to have some for *next* winter.
They aren't found in clothing stores, but in groceries, dollar stores,
and the like. It's been a while since I didn't have to pay extra to
get decidedly-unwanted conductive fingertips. They sometimes come
only in children's sizes, but some children's sizes are large enough
for my small hands.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old October 17th 16, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 19:12:47 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Andrew Chaplin writes:

[...]

Or Google for "Traffic Gloves" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 17th 16, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 10-16-2016 18:12, Radey Shouman wrote:
I like these for colder weather (fortunately not here yet):

http://www.kinco.com/product/1939/

Not marketed for cycling, but I don't see that as a problem.

I saw an advert the other day for gloves, each having a bright blinking
LED arrow on the back of the hand, pointing toward the knuckles.

Hold either hand out for a turn signal. Not sure what drivers will
think when both hands are on the handlebars.

Not sure where the batteries are.

--
Wes Groleau