Alternatives to handlebar tape?

Old October 13th 16, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Alternatives to handlebar tape?

On 13/10/16 18:03, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/12/2016 7:24 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just renewed the handlebar tape on my road bike. Again. My sweat doesn't
seem to be compatible with it and also it tears whenever I scrape a bush
or something. Friends have told me that it wouldn't be much better if
I'd use cork or some other fancy material. In contrast, the handlebar
rubbers on my MTB have held up over two years with no discrenible wear,
despite several crashes (no crashes with the road bike).

I wouldn't mind riding the bare aluminum which is what I end up doing a
lot once the tape is in tatters. But it leaves nasty black markings in
my palms which are hard to scrub away and might also not be very healthy.

Is there any alternative to this flimsy handlebar tape? Leather that can
be glued on? Half shells that can be screwed on? Some tough texture
spray?

This stuff was once popular:
http://www.grabongrips.com/bicycle.php
Sort of like foam pipe insulation, but more dense.

Wish I'd had that link a few years back

http://www.grabongrips.com/foam_tubing.php

Old October 13th 16, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 10/13/2016 10:28 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-10-12 22:07, Tosspot wrote:
On 13/10/16 01:24, Joerg wrote:
[...]

https://www.velovitality.co.uk/produ...wn-on-bar-wrap

Is very good, last forever, but once it's on, it's on, so think about
the state of cable outers.

Been on a friends bike for years, and looks nicer as it tans and stains.

Aha, thanks, now we are getting somewhere. I don't even need it all the
way through. Just the lower part up to the brake levers (which I
preferably don't want to have to take off for the job) and then some
part of the upper would be fine.

The regular stuff relies on some flimsy plastic end caps to hold it on.
Caps that often already fly off during the first few offroad stretches.

A little heat-shrink tubing of suitably large diameter works for me to
keep the end of the tape permanently in place. Of course, it won't work
for you, for some reason...

No, that's exactly what I was planning to do this evening. Again.
Purists would never do that (I only have black shrink tube) but I do not
care how that looks. It does not work at the top where IME the stuff
they send along with the tape package isn't worth it, only electrical
tape holds. Sort of, for a while, until it gets really hot in summer.

Other riders only use the plugs because that's "standard procedure" and
sometimes I see the telltale coil flopping in the wind when I pass them.

What really works but looks ugly is lacing cord which I use a lot on
bicycles.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...clickkey=13003

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 13th 16, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-13 09:03, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

The 2nd version in there is for road bikes. Guess the brake handle has
to come off then. The boots on mine is totally hardened and wouldn't
survive. The NOS ones I saw didn't look that good either but maybe I
could just wrap some tape around those and call it a day. Or some shrink
tube. Reduces the theft risk :-)

Old October 13th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/13/2016 11:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2016-10-13 09:03, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

A new pair of aero brake levers with covers is cheaper than
vintage lever covers (and less than most new covers).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 13th 16, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-13 09:03, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

True. Time to break the purity of the Shimano 600EX setup. It might need
to happen anyhow because the BB seems "knackered".

Old October 13th 16, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

String, tied the way golf clubs used to be whipped, works great, and
looks a lot better. Cheaper, and harder, too.

--
sig 116
Old October 13th 16, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

: On 13/10/16 01:24, Joerg wrote:
[...]

String? I don't play golf but lots of our neighbors do and all I've seen
were this kind:

http://00de128.netsolhost.com/mypgac.../Golf_Grip.jpg

The wrapped ones look similar to handlebar tape except that golfers tend
not to mash hills with a sweaty grip for hours. It's only a few minutes,
regulation clothes, polished shoes, perfectly coiffed hair and then ...
phhhsssst ... POCK ... *FORE*

Old October 13th 16, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2016-10-13 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/12/2016 6:24 PM, Joerg wrote:
Just renewed the handlebar tape on my road bike. Again. My
sweat doesn't seem to be compatible with it and also it
tears whenever I scrape a bush or something. Friends have
told me that it wouldn't be much better if I'd use cork or
some other fancy material. In contrast, the handlebar
rubbers on my MTB have held up over two years with no
discrenible wear, despite several crashes (no crashes with
the road bike).

I wouldn't mind riding the bare aluminum which is what I end
up doing a lot once the tape is in tatters. But it leaves
nasty black markings in my palms which are hard to scrub
away and might also not be very healthy.

Is there any alternative to this flimsy handlebar tape?
Leather that can be glued on? Half shells that can be
screwed on? Some tough texture spray?

Cork-chunk tape and faux-cork expanded foam are common, cheap and
available in a rainbow of hues, even multicolor patterns, very popular.
There are also natural cotton tapes, real leather wrap, sew-on leather
panels, vinyl, rubberized and so in many materials. Stop into an LBS
and look at a few dozen tapes.

In particular check out the Torelli ersatz leather wrap which is tougher
surfaced than most (albeit less cushy). There are some carbon-look tapes
of that material too under various brands.

Thanks. Less cushy is ok, I only need the aluminum covered with
something durable that prevents the bare aluminum to blacken my hands.

I wish there was some sort of tough yet skin-safe spray-on texture
coating. Clean, maybe sand, mask off rest of bike, shake can ...
phhhhsssst ... done. There ought to be a market for that.

There is.... spray-on duck tape!
https://www.google.com/search?q=spra...w=1828&bih=839

Old October 13th 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-13 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Ah, progress is indeed happening :-)

No kidding if this stuff lasts when being gripped by sweaty hands it may
be a solution. I guess when an area wears off one can clean that with
denatured alcohol and give it another spritz from the can.

Old October 13th 16, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

On 2016-10-13 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Excellent. How about that vinyl stuff for dipping tool handles? Liquid
electrical tape?

Or this stuff:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Handlebar Tape Ben C Techniques 15 July 11th 09 01:23 AM
Worn handlebar tape. elyob UK 6 May 6th 08 05:47 PM
Handlebar tape? B.B. Techniques 30 June 7th 05 08:25 PM
FS: NOS Benotto Handlebar Tape Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 August 9th 04 06:01 AM
WTB Pink handlebar tape Morgan Fletcher Marketplace 1 May 24th 04 03:39 AM