Brake lever stop screws.

Old October 22nd 16, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

Default Brake lever stop screws.

Most brake levers I've seen, seem to have a stop screw to limit travel when
you release the lever.

It doesn't seem to me that they serve any useful purpose, I usually take
them out and throw them away.

I'd be interested to know what I've not understood.

Thanks for any help.

Old October 22nd 16, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Most brake levers I've seen, seem to have a stop screw to limit travel when
you release the lever.

It doesn't seem to me that they serve any useful purpose, I usually take
them out and throw them away.

I'd be interested to know what I've not understood.

Thanks for any help.

They are for people with short fingers, who may not be able to directly
reach the brake levers.

Old October 22nd 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Ralph Barone" wrote in message
Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Most brake levers I've seen, seem to have a stop screw to limit travel
when
you release the lever.

It doesn't seem to me that they serve any useful purpose, I usually take
them out and throw them away.

I'd be interested to know what I've not understood.

Thanks for any help.

They are for people with short fingers, who may not be able to directly
reach the brake levers.

Thanks - that makes sense.

My fingers aren't exactly long, but I've never had that problem - not even
on motorcycles.

Old October 22nd 16, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Most brake levers I've seen, seem to have a stop screw to limit
travel when
you release the lever.

It doesn't seem to me that they serve any useful purpose, I usually take
them out and throw them away.

I'd be interested to know what I've not understood.

Thanks for any help.

They are for people with short fingers, who may not be able to directly
reach the brake levers.

Thanks - that makes sense.

My fingers aren't exactly long, but I've never had that problem - not
even on motorcycles.

My wife is not a tiny person, but she had that problem with one set of
levers. This was on a road bike with drop bar levers and no stop screws.

I was able to bend the levers to fit her hands. She was much happier
with them after that.

Of course, it meant less lever travel before hitting the bars, but
that's a matter of brake adjustment, and usually not much of a problem IME.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 16, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Most brake levers I've seen, seem to have a stop screw to limit
travel when
you release the lever.

It doesn't seem to me that they serve any useful purpose, I usually
take
them out and throw them away.

I'd be interested to know what I've not understood.

Thanks for any help.

They are for people with short fingers, who may not be able to directly
reach the brake levers.

Thanks - that makes sense.

My fingers aren't exactly long, but I've never had that problem - not
even on motorcycles.

My wife is not a tiny person, but she had that problem with one set of
levers. This was on a road bike with drop bar levers and no stop screws.

I was able to bend the levers to fit her hands. She was much happier with
them after that.

"Dogleg" levers can help - but I think they were intended to be more about
fashion than utility.