Finally, a non-carbon Campy compact crank!

Old August 3rd 05, 02:06 PM
App

Default Finally, a non-carbon Campy compact crank!

When will it be available? I see it is a Centaur model. Will there be
Chorus/Record?

TIA

App

Old August 3rd 05, 02:44 PM

App wrote:
When will it be available? I see it is a Centaur model. Will there be
Chorus/Record?

TIA

App

A link for those who have not seen it yet.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/?id=2005/news/07-28

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?.../Centaur_CTalu

Old August 3rd 05, 04:13 PM
Andrew Karre

But why must it have a proprietary BCD? Why can't it be 110? I would
buy this crank if it were 110, but I won't now because I don't want to
be limited to Campy rings (sorry, not going to pay a premium for "18%
better shifting" or any other nonsense) and I want to have
compatibility with my other 110 cranksets. I understand why they did
it, but I don't like it.

Andrew Karre

Old August 3rd 05, 05:43 PM
bfd

Actually, this has been discussed on ibob list and someone corresponded
with Campy and was told that the bcd WILL BE 110bcd!!!! Of course,
things may change, so we'll have to wait until it comes out to confirm.

Further, being that this is a Centaur-level crank, you'll get Campy
quality without paying Record prices!!!!

For those who "look down" at Centaur, remember that the majority of the
innards in the Centaur ergo levers and rear hub are basically the same
as Record. Centaur is arguably the best value from Campy!

Old August 3rd 05, 05:44 PM
Kinky Cowboy

On 3 Aug 2005 08:13:59 -0700, "Andrew Karre"
wrote:

But why must it have a proprietary BCD? Why can't it be 110? I would
buy this crank if it were 110, but I won't now because I don't want to
be limited to Campy rings (sorry, not going to pay a premium for "18%
better shifting" or any other nonsense) and I want to have
compatibility with my other 110 cranksets. I understand why they did
it, but I don't like it.

Andrew Karre

Is it patentable? If not, expect to see TA rings in the Campag compact
pattern before your first set wears out.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old August 3rd 05, 05:47 PM
Tom Reingold

What is a compact crank?

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy
Old August 3rd 05, 06:12 PM
bfd

People refer to double cranks with 110mm bolt circle diameter (bcd) as
"compact" cranks and allow a 33t small chainring. In contrast, the
smallest chainring you can use with Campy's 135 bcd is 39t; Shimano
130bcd allows only as low as a 38t.

Tyler Hamilton made this type of crank popular a few years ago when he
rode up the Alps with either a 52x36 or 50x36 FSA carbon crank. After
that, people who were afraid to use a triple, otherwise they would be
called a FRED or POSEUR, wanted one and the compact crank craze began.
Most mfrs, except Shimano, now offer one and its common to find.

Old August 3rd 05, 06:47 PM
Tom Reingold

bfd wrote:
People refer to double cranks with 110mm bolt circle diameter (bcd) as
"compact" cranks and allow a 33t small chainring. In contrast, the
smallest chainring you can use with Campy's 135 bcd is 39t; Shimano
130bcd allows only as low as a 38t.

Tyler Hamilton made this type of crank popular a few years ago when he
rode up the Alps with either a 52x36 or 50x36 FSA carbon crank. After
that, people who were afraid to use a triple, otherwise they would be
called a FRED or POSEUR, wanted one and the compact crank craze began.
Most mfrs, except Shimano, now offer one and its common to find.

Thanks!

I like to buy as little equipment as possible. I have an old Campy
crank, and the smallest chainring available is 42T. When I started
towing my kids in a trailer, I needed lower gears, so I put on a
freewheel that has a 34T sprocket for a low gear. I still ride this
setup. It's ugly, and the gears are widely spaced, but it works, and I
guess I'm a reverse snob.

A triple crank would be nice, coupled with close gears in the rear, but
I'm too cheap for that.

Old August 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
Sheldon Brown

Tom Reingold asked:

What is a compact crank?

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cn-z.html#compactcrank

This is one of many cycling terms defined and explained in my Bicycle
Glossary.

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary

Sheldon "Cyclexicographer" Brown
| I contend that we are both atheists. |
| I just believe in one fewer god than you do. |
| When you understand why you dismiss all the |
| other possible gods, you will understand |
| why I dismiss yours. --Stephen Roberts |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 4th 05, 08:36 PM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
"bfd" wrote:

People refer to double cranks with 110mm bolt circle diameter (bcd) as
"compact" cranks and allow a 33t small chainring. In contrast, the
smallest chainring you can use with Campy's 135 bcd is 39t; Shimano
130bcd allows only as low as a 38t.

Tyler Hamilton made this type of crank popular a few years ago when he
rode up the Alps with either a 52x36 or 50x36 FSA carbon crank. After
that, people who were afraid to use a triple, otherwise they would be
called a FRED or POSEUR, wanted one and the compact crank craze began.
Most mfrs, except Shimano, now offer one and its common to find.

Hi. A couple questions.
What is the origin of the expression "Fred?" Could it be the
creation Fat Freddy of Gilbert Shelton the cartoonist?

If a guy is running a triple when manly men only run a double, how
can the triple rider be called a poseur, since that triple is out
there to be seen? The essence of poseur is appearance. Thanks.

I absolutely understand the point that someone would run a doubble
for fear of being seen with a trippple.

--
Michael Press

Compact crank - chainline problem? PatC Techniques 11 March 21st 05 05:40 PM
Compact Crank Options? MattP Techniques 3 February 20th 05 07:04 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
FS: FSA Carbon Pro Compact Crankset Ben Brewer Marketplace 2 July 20th 04 02:25 AM
FS: Orbea Ultrafoco Carbon Compact, 60cm (58.5tt) Chip Atkins Marketplace 0 July 12th 04 04:06 PM