Advice on replacing old MTB chainrings

Old August 8th 05, 08:50 PM

Default Advice on replacing old MTB chainrings

I've worn out the middle ring on my old Bridgestone MB-3, and after
also just replacing my rear cassette, I'm thinking I'll just replace
all the rings at once. This is a 24-36-46 ring set, 110mm/74mm bolt
pattern, 7 speed. The original rings are Shimano SG "C".

It looks like I can get flat aluminum replacements (Salsa or Sugino)
for roughly $20+$20+$30 from various sources. I can substitute the
middle and outer rings with Shimano SG-X rings for an extra $20. I
think I'd prefer those for smoother shifting. Anything else I should
consider here? I think the SG-X rings are 7-speed compatible?

-- Dave

Old August 9th 05, 02:52 AM

The Quiet Man wrote:
Check the auction site for NOS new old stock complete cranks.
I picked up an new old 7 speed Deore crank perfect match to my Trek
MB. Much cheaper than the rings and shifting is perfect. Here is one
but it ends soon.

I'd tried looking for chainrings on ebay but not whole crank sets.
I'm not sure about dealing with chainline issues if I replace the
whole crank set, and I didn't see any current listings that looked
like a close match to my existing crank.

- Dave
Old August 9th 05, 03:07 AM

Paul Kopit wrote:

You can buy a crankset and throw away or sell the crankarms
http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CR1033

That's not a bad idea. Though the inner ring is only a 26, and
swapping that would wipe out much of the savings. Any opinion on
steel vs aluminum alloy chainrings (i.e. XD300 @ $47 vs XD600 @ $71?)
Also these cranks have one bolt aligned with the crank arm rather than
offset as with my existing crank; is that any cause for concern
(i.e. does it mean the ramps/pins will be mispositioned if I swap
rings?)

I haven't seen any online catalogs with individual Sugino chainrings
with ramps/pins. The sold-separate rings seem to always be the "flat"
ones.

-- Dave
Old August 9th 05, 06:41 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old August 9th 05, 09:08 PM

Booker C. Bense . stanford.edu wrote:

_ If he has indexed front derailler shifting, then the various ramps
and pins are most like neccessary for proper shifting. If it's just
a thumbshifter then the ramps aren't needed. If you poke around you
can get a complete set of RaceFace 24-34-46 chainrings for 110/74
cranks for about $80 bucks[1]. They say 9-speed but will work just
fine with any speed and have all the ramps and pins.

I do have a friction thumb shifter for the front, but still prefer the
ramped chainrings that came with the bike. I've already replaced the
middle ring once with a cheap flat ring and was never happy with the
shifting after doing so.

_ Of course, you can get a Sugino XD crank and appropriate
shimano square taper BB for pretty close to $80. If the
original bike has a cartridge BB, then if the chainrings
are really worn out, it might be time to replace the BB
as well.

I swapped out the original non-cartridge BB for (I think) a UN72 a
couple years ago.

[1]- Try Cambria Bike Outfitters or Performance.

Performance has a surprisingly lousy selection of chainrings in their
catalog. I had not looked at Cambria before but they seem to be much
better.

Cambria has SUN Ringle alloy chainrings for very low prices: $45 total
for a 24-36-46 set. The web page claims these are ramped but I can't
tell that from the photo and can find little information about them
online.

-- Dave