Amy's ride

Old January 1st 06, 07:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Amy's ride

Kate Nichols and Alexis Rhodes, injured in the accident that claimed the
life of Amy Gillet, will be competing in the Bay Cycling Classic which
includes Amy's Ride on Saturday. Apparently there are nearly 2000
entrants for Amy's Ride on Saturday. That's a fabulous turn-out and
good on the girls for getting back on the bike.

There are two good articles about the girls recovery in The Age today.

http://tinyurl.com/7nm78

http://tinyurl.com/7gcgg

--
SuzieB

Old January 3rd 06, 11:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Hope 2006 finds you happy & healthy! Now, a roundup of WoJ related news.
The whistle n' bells version of this message can be found here;
http://bicyclejustice.blogspot.com/

1. Sam Powries letter published in Cycling News:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?...tters#Cyclists

2. Euan & I working on a planned 'cycling wiki'. Any contributions
most welcome. Including hosting...more on that soon!
http://tinyurl.com/a3azq

3. Elizabeth Wynhausen: Brazen displays of the unAustralian way
http://tinyurl.com/dly2u
A rather acerbic review of unAustralian goings on - with a sizable
mention of one Mr Eugene McGee..

4. Melbourne: SMS death driver gets her licence back
http://tinyurl.com/d5pyn

5. This Saturday (7/1) in Geelong is Amys Ride. The organisers are
still taking entries up until the day.
http://www.amysride.com.au

We are having a combined WoJ/aus.bicycle team. Also we have designed a
'team ticket' to be placed on your jersey ie: similar to a race ticket
pinned to the back.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72663690@N00/81433781/

Should have laminated a.b spoke cards by Friday. If you want one, or
both, please email me: cfsmtbATgmailDOTcom

Can also arrange for accommodation, safe storage space and showers at a
friends place in Geelong East (near Geelong Showground/Racecourse). This
is near the Botanical Gardens. Email me directly if you want the
address details.

--
cfsmtb

Old January 3rd 06, 11:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Katies positive attitude certainly puts my recent whinging relating to
my cat-themed bike bingle into perspective. Show 'em who's the
boss!

Brown in charge of recovery, and partner
http://tinyurl.com/dkozo

Katie Brown's feisty nature is undoubtedly sustaining the 22-year-old
through her long injury rehabilitation. Now boyfriend Mark Renshaw is
about to discover the flipside to that hard-headed attitude.

Brown will manage Renshaw's team from today in the five-day Bay Cycling
Classic and no doubt it will be an amusing few days for their
relationship.

"Knowing her, she's going to be pretty bossy," Renshaw said.

Brown responded: "This gives me an opportunity to say what I want to
say and he has to listen to me, because I'm the boss … I can get a bit
feisty."

(more in article via link)

--
cfsmtb

Old January 4th 06, 11:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Further reportage from todays (r)Age

Cyclists race along road to recovery
http://tinyurl.com/7oskk

Classic comeback: Alexis Rhodes (left) and Kate Nichols prepare for the
start of the Bay Cycling Classic at Williamstown yesterday.

Classic comeback: Alexis Rhodes (left) and Kate Nichols prepare for the
start of the Bay Cycling Classic at Williamstown yesterday.
Photo: Sebastian Costanzo

WILLIAMSTOWN foreshore on a summer day is half a world away from the
forest road in Germany where Alexis Rhodes almost lost her life last
year, but yesterday she and Kate Nichols rode together for the first
time since they survived the accident that claimed the life of fellow
cyclist Amy Gillett-Safe.

Returning to national competition in the Bay Cycling Classic, Rhodes
and Nichols took a further step in their recovery from the horrendous
injuries they sustained when a young driver crashed into a group of
Australia's top female road cyclists.

On paper, yesterday was more successful for Rhodes, who finished sixth
riding for the Pitcher Partners team, than for Nichols, but the
presence of a beaming Simon Gillett, the husband of their late friend,
was a reminder that there are some things in life more important than
placings.

Rhodes, 21, was on life support and in a coma for almost a week after
the accident with severe chest injuries and broken bones in her back.
The six months since have helped heal the physical and emotional
wounds, but she said Gillett-Safe was in her thoughts as they lined up
for the race.

"It was pretty emotional on the start line; it was good to see Simon
there," Rhodes said.

"It was pretty hard but once the whistle sounded it was business as
usual. Amy was one of my closest friends, and I know she'd be really
happy to see me back riding."

Nichols, 20, said she took strength from the memory of Gillett-Safe as
she slowly navigated the path to recovery from serious arm injuries.

"Amy's always on our minds, but with the racing, it's fantastic because
she was such a strong and positive rider and I take that with me in my
races now and I definitely feel stronger and more determined from it,"
she said.

"It was great to see Alexis have a go (today). It was great to see all
the girls out there, I haven't raced with them for a while. They were
all so encouraging out there and supportive, as well as being
competitors too and making it a hard race."

The first of the classic's five women's events was won by individual
pursuit world champion Katie Mactier. Mactier described winning as a
"fantastic feeling", but was at her most animated when discussing
Rhodes' and Nichols' efforts.

"It's terrific, it really is. There's a wonderful feeling in the group,
there always is in Australia, but to have those two girls here … they're
remarkable girls and … an inspiration to be around," she said.

"They're just such a credit to themselves and their country. I have so
much respect for what they're doing and what they've been through."

When asked if she believed Rhodes stood a chance of making the
Commonwealth Games team — an unlikely achievement, but still possible —
Mactier replied: "Bloody oath, that girl's capable of doing anything;
they all are, look what they've come through, nothing's going to stop
them."

On Saturday, Amy's Ride, a charity event devised by Simon Gillett, will
be held before the Geelong leg of the Bay Classic. The ride is open to
all entrants, who can choose from five courses of varying length around
the Bellarine Peninsula.

--
cfsmtb

Old January 5th 06, 12:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

What's with all the name change?

'Gillett-Safe'

bit strange form a PR point of view, changing a brandname halfway
thru...

--
flyingdutch

Old January 8th 06, 11:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

What a great day - the weather was perfect, and everybody there seemed
keen to enjoy the day.

Got to Geelong a little later than planned; helped put together 5 bikes
(my partner and 3 of his youngsters were doing the family laps). I
headed over for registration and pick up the stuff for everybody, then
back to find where we'd parked. I'd decided on the 45 so that people
weren't waiting around all day for me; this turned out to be a good
choice. Though the kids were mostly enjoying it, a couple of hours was
enough!

I saw the start when I was still trying to find registration
but finally rolled over the start line at around 10 past 10. It was
good to find the other ab'ers as they were regrouping - I hope your
ribs held up through the day cfsmtb! Apologies to Kathy for not
recognising her (does anybody else think we all look the same in
helmets?? ).

I had been hoping to complete the ride in less than 2 hours and managed
about 1.45, including a couple of stops for brief chats, which I was
pleased with - perfect conditions for a smooth ride. The organisers
couldn't have hoped for better I hadn't reset my 'puter, but know
the top speed for the day was 52 coming down a hill on the way back to
Geelong.

Memorable moments: Amy's family talking before and after their rides,
the fellow with the Oscar the Grouch jersey (with matching socks... I
*so* want that outfit!), my bike just moved beautifully for the ride
and did all it was asked, and for once I wasn't trashed by asthma which
has been plaguing me of late.

I understand it is to be an annual event. I'm looking forward to next
year

ali

--
alison_b