More On Auto Insurance

Old November 10th 03, 04:09 AM
BretCahill

Default More On Auto Insurance

An acquaintence suggested:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When people buy car insurance they are issued an insurance card,
that is a plastic swipe card, like a credit card. Everyone would be
required to swipe it each time they buy gas. (You could have the
option of using it to pay for the gas.) This way,...

(a) The insurance company knows how much you drive, and can figure that
into your bill, but insurance rates can still be based on driving records
and demographic data. Hence, people have good reason to drive less.

(b) If you do not have insurance you cannot buy gas.

(c) If your license is revoked, you could be blocked from buying gas.
(Bye-bye drunk drivers.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Privacy" is a trendy issue with the corp. whore media but let's face reality:
they are really only upset with the info age leveling of the playing field.

Bret Cahill

Old November 10th 03, 10:55 AM
Robert Strickland

When people buy car insurance they are issued an insurance card,
that is a plastic swipe card, like a credit card. Everyone would be
required to swipe it each time they buy gas. (You could have the
option of using it to pay for the gas.) This way,...

(a) The insurance company knows how much you drive, and can figure
that into your bill, but insurance rates can still be based on
driving records and demographic data. Hence, people have good reason
to drive less.

(b) If you do not have insurance you cannot buy gas.

(c) If your license is revoked, you could be blocked from buying
gas. (Bye-bye drunk drivers.)

As a leftist, raving liberal, big-government, nattering nabob of
negativity I have to say this is more Big Brother than I could
stomach.

Glad to see there is at least one other raving liberal on this group, Tim. I
agree, I don't want or need more data on my driving/buying/etc. habits out
there. Especially not in the hands of insurance companies.

Rob Strickland

Old November 10th 03, 01:33 PM
Doug Huffman

As an angry old white guy gun packing brilliant bicyclist patriot
intolerant- an EXTREME right-winger, it is more intrusion than I can
stomach. For y'all to characterize this as a partisan issue and post it OT
HERE is irritating!

Other advocacies use the concept of 'litmus-test'; let ours here be the
action and commitment of bicycling. Then we can argue about how best to
live and do that rather about what is wrong/right and left or 'right'.

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
(BretCahill) writes:

An acquaintence suggested:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old November 10th 03, 03:48 PM
Tom Paterson

From: (BretCahill)

When people buy car insurance they are issued an insurance card,
that is a plastic swipe card, like a credit card. Everyone would be
required to swipe it each time they buy gas. (You could have the
option of using it to pay for the gas.) This way,...

Baaa, baaa.

(a) The insurance company knows how much you drive, and can figure that
into your bill, but insurance rates can still be based on driving records
and demographic data. Hence, people have good reason to drive less.

I'm guessing, from your apparent ignorance inre the process of obtaining
driver's insurance and dislike of "driving", that you are a marginal
participator. I don't want to be like you. Ever, ever.

Where oh where did you get your wonderful confidence in the morality of big
business? Ever read a newspaper? Go past "Enron" and the ilk, see "redlining".
Happening every day all over our great country.

Maybe you'll feel better on that glorious day when a genetic profile will be
part of the mandatory National Insurance Application to get that do-it-all
National Security Identification Card, that you can also buy gas with-- of
course, it'll be the only way you can buy gas, or anything else.

Following your ethos: "That way, people with potential health problems will
find it more difficult to reproduce" which curtailment of personal liberty will
contribute much more to an orderly society than mere limiting of personal
mobility ever could.

Baaa, baaa. --Tom Paterson
Old November 10th 03, 04:42 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
.. .

Other advocacies use the concept of 'litmus-test'; let ours here be the
action and commitment of bicycling. Then we can argue about how best to
live and do that rather about what is wrong/right and left or 'right'.

Well said, Doug!

Matt O.

Old November 10th 03, 05:52 PM
David Damerell

Carl Fogel wrote:
[Insurance cards when paying for petrol]
Wicked fellows (like you)might pay law-abiding folk (like me)
to ride along with you to the pump and use our cards deceitfully
for a modest fee (modest fee table available upon request).

Indeed, you might simply happen to be riding in the same vehicle, and swap
cards as a matter of course.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old November 10th 03, 05:53 PM
Gary Young

(BretCahill) wrote in message ...
An acquaintence suggested:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When people buy car insurance they are issued an insurance card,
that is a plastic swipe card, like a credit card. Everyone would be
required to swipe it each time they buy gas. (You could have the
option of using it to pay for the gas.) This way,...

(a) The insurance company knows how much you drive, and can figure that
into your bill, but insurance rates can still be based on driving records
and demographic data. Hence, people have good reason to drive less.

(b) If you do not have insurance you cannot buy gas.

(c) If your license is revoked, you could be blocked from buying gas.
(Bye-bye drunk drivers.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Privacy" is a trendy issue with the corp. whore media but let's face reality:
they are really only upset with the info age leveling of the playing field.

My understanding is that (a) is now quite feasible based on GPS
technology. As for those worrying about the big brother angle, I'd
ask, Why does the government have to get involved? What if I drive
very little and don't want to be paying the insurance costs of those
who drive all the time? And what if my insurance company agrees with
that? Why should people who drive a lot be subsidized by people who
drive very little or not at all? Where does big brother come into
that? Oh yeah -- when the auto makers and frequent drivers complain
and the government closes down another sensible free-market solution.
Old November 10th 03, 06:09 PM
Carl Fogel

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message ...
As an angry old white guy gun packing brilliant bicyclist patriot
intolerant- an EXTREME right-winger, it is more intrusion than I can
stomach. For y'all to characterize this as a partisan issue and post it OT
HERE is irritating!

Other advocacies use the concept of 'litmus-test'; let ours here be the
action and commitment of bicycling. Then we can argue about how best to
live and do that rather about what is wrong/right and left or 'right'.

Dear Doug,

We're just committed to making sure that only the
right people are bicycling. We have a list, you see,
and come the revolution, instead of hanging you all
from the lamp-posts, we're merely going to force you
to ride tricycles to the gas station, where we will
refuse to sell you the gas that you don't need.

We have plans for rationing compressed air at the pump,
too, but I'm not allowed to reveal the details yet.
Remember how it used to be free?

Bicyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to
lose but your chains!

Karl Fogel

insurance PK General 9 March 1st 04 09:33 PM
insurance claim - valuation and depreciation (very long) Jürgen Hartwig General 22 November 14th 03 09:45 AM
Short-term auto insurance--does it exist? Phil Roban General 9 October 31st 03 11:41 AM
my parents are okay (hurricaine) Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 53 September 22nd 03 09:18 PM