Front forks - removing "lawyers' lips"

Old December 14th 04, 03:26 PM
JBB

Default Front forks - removing "lawyers' lips"

I have upgraded my front forks to ITM carbons; so far great, they cut out a
lot of road vibration. However they are a real pain when it comes to
removing and refitting the front wheel. I do this quite a lot as I have an
internal bike rack for my car. I therefore want to know the best way to
remove these abominations. By best I mean no unnecessary damage to self or
bike, no loss of function and ideally no cosmetic difference.

Hope you can help.
Julia

Old December 14th 04, 03:36 PM

JBB wrote:
I have upgraded my front forks to ITM carbons; so far great, they cut

out a
lot of road vibration. However they are a real pain when it comes to
removing and refitting the front wheel. I do this quite a lot as I

have an
internal bike rack for my car. I therefore want to know the best way

remove these abominations. By best I mean no unnecessary damage to

self or
bike, no loss of function and ideally no cosmetic difference.

Hope you can help.
Julia

Hi there.

You can simply file them off, a lot of people do this so they can
effect quicker wheel changes when racing.

If you're not racing though, it does strike me as a lot of trouble to
go to just to save 5 seconds when you're putting the bike up on the the
roof of your car...

Cheers, Andy

www.stirling-tri.co.uk

Old December 14th 04, 03:48 PM
dkahn400

JBB wrote:
I have upgraded my front forks to ITM carbons; so far great, they cut

out a
lot of road vibration. However they are a real pain when it comes to
removing and refitting the front wheel. I do this quite a lot as I

have an
internal bike rack for my car. I therefore want to know the best way

remove these abominations. By best I mean no unnecessary damage to

self or
bike, no loss of function and ideally no cosmetic difference.

Obviously it can't be done without loss of function as they will no
longer be there to perform their er... function. The best way to lose
them is probably to file them down by hand until they are flush with
the rest of the dropout. A dab of paint should cover up the evidence
and restore the cosmetic beauty of your dropouts. Apart from the
obvious safety issue be aware you may be voiding any manufacturer's
warranty.

--
Dave...

Old December 14th 04, 04:04 PM
Pete Biggs

dkahn400 wrote:

be aware you may be voiding any manufacturer's
warranty.

That's true but you're unlikely to need it.

~PB

Old December 14th 04, 04:35 PM
m-gineering

JBB wrote:

I have upgraded my front forks to ITM carbons; so far great, they cut out a
lot of road vibration. However they are a real pain when it comes to
removing and refitting the front wheel. I do this quite a lot as I have an
internal bike rack for my car. I therefore want to know the best way to
remove these abominations. By best I mean no unnecessary damage to self or
bike, no loss of function and ideally no cosmetic difference.

Hope you can help.
Julia

for me a 5" angle grinder with a worn (ie small diameter) cutoff wheel
(mis-used as a flat grinding disk) gives best control
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old December 14th 04, 05:59 PM
pk

er at risk of showing my ignorance, what are lawyers lips?

pk

Old December 14th 04, 06:21 PM
Clive George

"pk" wrote in message
er at risk of showing my ignorance, what are lawyers lips?

What they use to form a seal while sucking the blood from you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-l.html#lawyer

cheers,
clive

Old December 14th 04, 07:44 PM
pk

Clive George wrote:
"pk" wrote in message
er at risk of showing my ignorance, what are lawyers lips?

What they use to form a seal while sucking the blood from you.

I did think of suggesting that myself.

Another:

What yellow and looks good on an estate agent?
..
..
..
..