Unbelievable ...

Old December 13th 04, 11:59 AM
Steven L. Sheffield

Default Unbelievable ...

I think this newsgroup is finally dead.

Only two new messages between 8:45 pm (MT) and 4:48 am (MT), and they're
both in the KKKunich for President thread.

The only mention of the US Cyclocross National Championships in the last 24
hours is Ewoud's mention that JP wasn't at the Bosduincross in Kalmthout
because he's in Portland (where he won his 3rd consecutive national
championship, by the way).

And only 1 more day for Crit Pro's latest prediction to come true before he
is once again proven to be full of **** ...

From: (crit pro)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Subject: Another big US cyclist caught doping.
Date: 3 Dec 2004 14:03:47 -0800

Should make it out by next week. Dec 14th, at THE latest.

enjoy.

cp

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old December 13th 04, 12:58 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:59:53 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:

I think this newsgroup is finally dead.

Only two new messages between 8:45 pm (MT) and 4:48 am (MT), and they're
both in the KKKunich for President thread.

I was just thinking the same thing.

The only mention of the US Cyclocross National Championships in the last 24
hours is Ewoud's mention that JP wasn't at the Bosduincross in Kalmthout
because he's in Portland (where he won his 3rd consecutive national
championship, by the way).

I want to add some racing content but I've pretty much got nothing.

OK -- here's a little tidbit that is boring but at least closer to
interesting (for me) -- I went to get a bike fit and the guy doing it
(who I respect a lot) lowered the saddle 2.5cm and shortened my stem
by 4cm (though he moved the saddle back 1cm, so reach is "only" 3cm
shorter).

I felt so bad. But then I looked at my notes from the past and saw I
rode even lower while a beginner, and just a little bit higher than
where he has it when I was doing pretty well about five years ago.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old December 13th 04, 01:14 PM
B. Lafferty

wrote:

[...]

Did you consider shrinkage with age due to cartilage compression and wear?
;-)

Old December 13th 04, 01:27 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:14:11 GMT, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:

Did you consider shrinkage with age due to cartilage compression and wear?
;-)

Not sure about that, but the new position is noticeable easier on my,
er, parts due to more weight on the feet and less on the saddle.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old December 13th 04, 01:44 PM
B. Lafferty

wrote:

Did you consider shrinkage with age due to cartilage compression and wear?
;-)

Not sure about that, but the new position is noticeable easier on my,
er, parts due to more weight on the feet and less on the saddle.

JT

About two years ago, I too had a proper fitting and the person who did it,
excellent local shop manager in Northampton (Joe Mai), lowered my seat by
about 1cm. It felt strange at first, but it is much more efficient. The
saddle height and set back are probably the most important factors. There
is more to "play" with on the stem extension for road riding. It will no
doubt affect power, but depending on the type of riding/racing, comfort
becomes a more subjective factor to add to the mix.

I tried telling my wife that due to the new fit, three of my frames should
really be replaced with different sized ones. She said that I could, but it
might lead to my replacement.

Old December 13th 04, 02:14 PM
psycholist

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message I tried telling my wife
that due to the new fit, three of my frames should
really be replaced with different sized ones. She said that I could, but
it might lead to my replacement.

I told my wife I needed to buy a time trial bike. She said, "OK."

Huh? Now I'm suspicious.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old December 13th 04, 03:46 PM
Sandy

"John Forrest Tomlinson" a écrit dans le message
de :

OK -- here's a little tidbit that is boring but at least closer to
interesting (for me) -- I went to get a bike fit and the guy doing it
(who I respect a lot) lowered the saddle 2.5cm and shortened my stem
by 4cm (though he moved the saddle back 1cm, so reach is "only" 3cm
shorter).

I felt so bad. But then I looked at my notes from the past and saw I
rode even lower while a beginner, and just a little bit higher than
where he has it when I was doing pretty well about five years ago.

I recall, when I was at the coaches' camp at Lake Placid in ?? 1989,
everyone was told that their saddle heights were too low. They raised mine
by 4 cv - and all at once - and the manner of measurement was quite
different from what I had been used to over here.

When I got back to France, I noticed that the local racers, national elites,
and the top internationals were all riding much lower than me, and I went
back to the old saddle height. Miracle work. Honestly felt an immediate
relief, even if it felt a little clumsy.

What are the formulas you use in the US to estimate correct saddle height ?
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old December 13th 04, 08:21 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:58:18 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

I felt so bad. But then I looked at my notes from the past and saw I
rode even lower while a beginner, and just a little bit higher than
where he has it when I was doing pretty well about five years ago

BTW, does anyone doing rollers find that they change bike position
when riding without much resistance, then have the bike feel wrong
when on the road? I feel like the saddle is too low on rollers because
it highlights rock, but it feels way too high back on the road.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old December 13th 04, 08:57 PM
amit

I think lots of riders tend to have their seat too high, including some
really good riders.

I found over the years I'de raised my seat a few cms, but anyone wold
say it was within normal limits (my hips didn't wiggle etc.), but I
started getting bad back pain on and off the bike. I tried doing "core"
stengthening etc which didn't help.

The only relief I found was to drop my seat maybe 3 cms, and still it
took me maybe 6mos before my back recovered. I'm about a cm lower than
the old Lemond formula.

This also means I was able to drop my handlebars by about the same
amount.

Old December 13th 04, 11:35 PM
psycholist

wrote:

I felt so bad. But then I looked at my notes from the past and saw I
rode even lower while a beginner, and just a little bit higher than
where he has it when I was doing pretty well about five years ago

BTW, does anyone doing rollers find that they change bike position
when riding without much resistance, then have the bike feel wrong
when on the road? I feel like the saddle is too low on rollers because
it highlights rock, but it feels way too high back on the road.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

I've always felt like the reach to the hoods seems way longer when the bike
is on the rollers. I can't imagine why. So I usually ride with the heels
of my hands right in the top bend of the bars. On longer rides, my hands
end up very sore. But when I get out on the road, the very same bike feels
perfect. Can't say why. Always been that way with all the bikes I've owned
and used on the rollers.

Unbelievable Davide Tosi Racing 2 July 8th 04 03:01 AM
Taking photos while riding. Hriv Mountain Biking 39 October 3rd 03 02:58 AM