Riding a bicycle in traffic

Old September 25th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Cycling while drinking

Bill Sornson writes:

Interestingly, James Dean in an interview with Gig Young said:

"Drive safely, the life you save may be your own!"

One week later he died in a one-car crash on September 30, 1955 in
his Porsche 550 Spyder while his passenger, Rolf Wütherich survived
but later crashed fatally in Germany in 1981.

I thought he hit another car, IIRC.

http://members.aol.com/jaydeebee1/memorial.html

that recount of the events says they collided while the story I got was
through evasive maneuvers Dean's car went end-over-end off the road.
Wütherich was throne out and Dean got smashed as the car rolled.

It makes little difference, the upshot is we lost a great man. I had
a similar incident approaching Garmisch in a silver Porsche, where an
oncoming car made a left turn on a Y-intersection causing me to divert
off-road into an adjoining wet grassy field, at the end of which was
an earthen railroad causeway. I was able to do a slalom turn onto the
embankment, jump the drainage ditch and land back on the road under
the RR bridge with only a minor dent in the right rocker panel.
Fortunately there was no other traffic.

It was a similar case where the oncoming car did not assess time and
motion of the approaching car.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 25th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 25 Sep 2006 01:59:51 GMT, wrote:

Bill Sornson writes:

Interestingly, James Dean in an interview with Gig Young said:

"Drive safely, the life you save may be your own!"

It wasn't an "interview." It was a public safety announcement on safe
driving and the correct quote was "...the life you save may be mine."

One week later he died in a one-car crash on September 30, 1955 in
his Porsche 550 Spyder while his passenger, Rolf Wütherich survived
but later crashed fatally in Germany in 1981.

I thought he hit another car, IIRC.

http://members.aol.com/jaydeebee1/memorial.html

that recount of the events says they collided while the story I got was
through evasive maneuvers Dean's car went end-over-end off the road.
Wütherich was throne out and Dean got smashed as the car rolled.

It makes little difference,

I disagree, the fact of anyone's history are important, yours, mine or
James Dean. Particularly when you say you got the story from the
occupant of Dean's car. Well, by all accounts, your mechanic pal had a
very bad head injury, so he probably is not a reliable source.

the upshot is we lost a great man.

I had a similar incident approaching Garmisch in a silver Porsche...

It's not about you.
Old September 25th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Pinky

what the hell has this got to do with recumbent cycling

trolls the lot of you

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,